Rob Richardson's homepage - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rob Richardson's homepage

And I have a set of Pilots Notes for the Barracuda. Will try and send them over to you.

Martin

Nice model pictures!

Albeit an interesting design, the Barracuda must rank among the ugliest British aircraft of ww2... Sort of look like the designers had forgotten everything about aerodynamics..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I think that's probably true of ALL RN aircraft up to the Sea Fury which broke the mold

ATB
    DaveB

Well, the Firefly is not half bad, actually almost look like a twin seat Spitfire :-)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

hahahaha.. yes.. agreed. The Firefly was the beginning of the change. All before were pretty much so ugly, they might have been Russian!!

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Albeit an interesting design, the Barracuda must rank among the ugliest British aircraft of ww2... Sort of look like the designers had forgotten everything about aerodynamics..
    It does indeed look like something that was designed on a bar napkin at Happy Hour. Although I have to give credit to whoever figured out the wing-fold mechanism. It appears that the pilot sits just forward of the wing spar...? And does everybody board the aircraft through the greenhouse?

[Sorry for double posting] [Sorry for off-topic] Back in December 2014, Rob Richardson uploaded on his homepage a WIP screenshot of a two-seater Vampire, the DH Venom NF2 night fighter. It looked really promising, but no trace of it today, on Robs's website... No pressure intended! Just noticing... I guess doing a 2-seat VC from scratch must be quite a dauting task...

I keep looking at the Venom night fighter, I will get back to it in time.
    As to the Barracuda's appearance, ugly or otherwise, there is one thing that sets it apart from every other single engine warplane.
    It made a really good flying model, the high wing meant that you could get hold of it and give a really good throw into the air.
    I remember as a schoolboy ( OK so I've got a good memory ) making a balsa model, "Veron" kit I think, anyone recall them?

RobR

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    And I have a set of Pilots Notes for the Barracuda. Will try and send them over to you.

Martin
    To the rescue once again Martin, I would be most grateful to you for those.
    What with Peter's "Warpaint" and your pilots notes I'll have no excuse for not finishing the Barracuda.

RobR

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    To the rescue once again Martin, I would be most grateful to you for those.
    What with Peter's "Warpaint" and your pilots notes I'll have no excuse for not finishing the Barracuda.

RobR
    Music to my ears. Also, I didn't know Warpaint made a release on the Barracuda. I might have to pick that one up as well.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    When the squadrons first received the Barracuda they could not believe their eyes, describing it as "any old iron", I'm sure you know the song, and it was a killer, problems with the air brakes/flaps and cockpit fumes killed many crews,
    but these were cured and over 2,600 came off the production lines, remaining in service till the 1950's.
    RobR
    Out of interest I have just looked at my fathers ATA logbook & I have found that he ferried 50 Barras mk I & III from Oct '44 until Sept '45, amassing almost 52 hours flying time in them, apparently without mishap! Mind you it was only gentle flying I suppose not combat style. I do remember him saying though that a lot of crashes were due to not checking that the wingfold locking pins were not securely in place prior to take off!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by peterwatkins2 View Post
    OK Rob,

Have emailed you a Sendspace link. I have also included the Albacore and Firefly just in case you feel like continuing the Fairey theme! (also the Gloster Javelin in case you feel like going back to Gloster aircraft!!).

cheers, Peter
    A Javelin would def. get my vote.

Members who have read this thread: 0