I can't decide which is more beautiful...

Thread: I can't decide which is more beautiful...

I can't decide which is more beautiful...

...this amazing, tricked out, hopped up, turboprop powered Impulse 100 TD, or the gorgeous Locher Sarntal airfield in northern Italy that it operates out of...

N.

YES! I just watched this on facebook about an hour ago and I thought the plane was cool, but the airfield is BEAUTIFUL

Well... BOTH!!!

Got me curious so, a little research is in order...

Sarntal (Italian: Sarentino) is a valley and a comune (municipality) in South Tyrol in northern Italy, located about 15 kilometres (9 mi) north of the city of Bolzano. The municipality comprises several towns and villages. The largest one, seat of the mayor and council, is Sarnthein.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarntal

Locher is a construction company that appears to specialize in avalanche protection and mountainside stbilization, based in Sarntal.
    http://www.locher.it/index.html

The strip itself is about 6Km (3.5 miles south of Sarntal. In the image you can see the large industrial building (in GE Street View you can see a sign "Locher") and a grey, graded area. Since the GE image is from 2009 I figure the land was graded, the hangar built, and then covered over and landscaped. Nice to have money!

BTW, the other aircraft in the hangar is a Quest Kodiak.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

gotta love that taxiway, especially in a taildragger...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Ooooooh!

That thing is screaming for retractable gear though hehe... And those wheel pants on grass eeek!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

OK, so who's making that scenery?

Thank you for that link!

that would be a great plane for reno air racing...

That reminds me of a Lancair 360 (Like the one modeled by RealAir) Turbine version I've seen on Facebook by one of the Reno Air Race Pilots. I don't know if it's flown yet.

Also, you guys are right, beautiful Airfield. Hey Orbx, they just found an airfield for you to model for Europe.

Probably thinking of Mark Patey's Turbine Legacy "Turbulence"

(this is Keith Smith's photo - I edited it for color and crop - Keith smith founder of Pilot Edge ATC services)

I'd give my left lung to have Realair do this thing!!!

FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Yup, that's it! Beautiful plane.

Oops yep I forget which twin is which some times..
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

A quick search at the usual places did not reveal any scenery for this place. As srgalahad mentioned this is a private strip owned by Mr. Locher. I checked out the place and compared Google earth with what FSX shows using ORBX Global + Vector + OpenLC Europe. The stream and the road is there, one has to add the factory and the field. I may give it a shot after I finish my current project. It will need a lot of landscaping work.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Locher FSX.jpg   Locher Google.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Probably thinking of Mark Patey's Turbine Legacy "Turbulence"

(this is Keith Smith's photo - I edited it for color and crop - Keith smith founder of Pilot Edge ATC services)
    BTW, Is that pic from Oshkosh? Because we also need an SX-300 like that shown in the background and a Realair quality Glasair III would be nice as well.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    This would be right up Lionheart's alley if he is still around. Haven't heard much about him lately. His planes are superb

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    This would be right up Lionheart's alley if he is still around. Haven't heard much about him lately. His planes are superb
    You can usually find Bill over at FSD although he has been conspicuously quiet for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    BTW, Is that pic from Oshkosh? Because we also need an SX-300 like that shown in the background and a Realair quality Glasair III would be nice as well.
    Yep it's at OSH
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

I couldn't wait and tried to splash a photoreal image on the area. It fits nicely.

First and easiest step done. The rest will have to wait until I finish my current project. Thanks for the incentive Neil!

Locher Airfield

I really hope this project isn't dead. I found two other videos of the same airfield with a Pilatus Pc-12 and a Quest Kodiak.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP-9mWqFh3c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysqn-NA4QhM
    It really is a beautiful part of the world and I'd love to see the interesting "underground" hangar in FSX!
    Last edited by FooFighter7; June 25th, 2016 at 09:18.

I knew it! How's this project coming along? Can I help in some way? Build a custom building or something like that?

Cees

I must admit that I put this very much aside as I was lost in redoing my home base, Tatoi LGTT. however, Tatoi is now growing too much with a lot of photoreal ground to cover with hand placed autogen and has tired me. I would not mind to get sidetracked continuing with Locher. So Cees, yes sir, I would not mind at all if we could share the work between us. Sending you a pm.

Members who have read this thread: 0