Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee - Page 15
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 578910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee

FSX tribute slideshow with music (check your volume levels!)

in a different vein - please take a minute or two for this screenshot slideshow, featuring MS FSX, ORBX, GAS, Milton, Anthony Lynch, Carenado, Alabeo, Cera, Pacific Simulations, and so many other 3rd party contributions..

I have been missing FSX since my PC was fried by an electrical storm last November..and it might be a while before I can resolve it. Probably not until the new MS flight sim is released. Anyway - we'll make do until then. I just wanted to share this short vid with you all. Life is good - and these troubles will pass.
    Remember - no matter what we do, the sun will rise in the morning. it's just a fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqOtfYkLdk
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Very nice indeed also the vid

John
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

thank you, John - I enjoyed this project more than some others and I’m glad you liked the video
    enter..the Sandman

next project..Sparrowhawk

looking to get a head start before the hot weather moves in for good..

enter..the Sandman

progress update on the F9c
    the fuselage infill is done and the Williams Brothers engine, when built to its full 1/12 scale fits nicely into the Sparrowhawk's cowling..

I should have some new videos up on the channel soon -
    enter..the Sandman

here's a look at the project to date..

enter..the Sandman

in the process of infilling the lower wing. Once that's done I can install it and then add the belly pan - this needs to be done before I can work on the landing gear struts and get all that installed.
    enter..the Sandman

I'm still here..gluing sticks of balsa to my fingers

enter..the Sandman

moving along, I have added the vented panels to the forward fuselage sides as well as the top and underside panels to complete the forward fuselage area.
    These main side panels are open along the vertical rear edges I suppose to let some of the engines radiated heat dissipate but have seen no references about them. Anyway - they have been added to the airplane dutifully..

enter..the Sandman

Nearly all of the major components of this airplane have been fabricated and fitted to the model or are awaiting paint and finish work to be completed.
    I still need to make the windscreen and the propeller.

The next phase will be final sanding, some touch up with the spackle and filler in little spots that might need it - then the primer paint can go on.
    I also need to drill some holes and cut some slots here and there for the rigging...that is going to be a challenge.

If you hear loud cursing over the next few days / nights it's only me
    enter..the Sandman

some paint has been splashed around..

I hope you like it - it was a pain in the ASS to paint with the wings installed..lol
    enter..the Sandman

this was the unmasking..

I did have to do some touch-up here and there, but not too much surprisingly.
    The model fought me in every other aspect of this build - I made too many unforced errors to count which was frustrating - but here we are.

I still need to make a prop and windscreen and do all the rigging etc..
    enter..the Sandman

Looking good mate

John
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

Thank you, John - you’ve been a steadfast supporter of my project builds from the start.
    The wing support rigging is done. Next will be the extensive radio antenna rigging.
    No pictures yet - maybe tomorrow.
    enter..the Sandman

I admire your work a real artist I have stoped building aircraft now just do a 1/48 scale kit every now and then

John

I often wonder why I still do this...the answer is long, complicated, and probably uninteresting to most folks. I guess the short answer is that it is an artistic expression and that each project presents a unique set of challenges to overcome. I like that.
    enter..the Sandman

some final images of the Sparrowhawk project..

first - I wanted to get a decent shot of the finish..the surface prep and painting of these models being a time consuming priority and all
    outdoors in natural light only - this was prior to final rigging and other details but is intended to show surface texture primarily

and now some final images in natural light - indoors

enter..the Sandman

Very nice indeed

John

next project : Wedell Williams type 44 in the Gilmore Lion

thanks, John - next up is the Gilmore Lion race plane by Wedell Williams as flown by Roscoe Turner.

ALSO - I was able to get my virtual hands on a Cleveland Model Co Boeing F4B-3 / P-12 in 1/16" scale.
    This will be my first Cleveland kit build and probably my favorite Golden Age military biplane of all.

I'll post the box contents if anyone is interested in seeing the plans etc..
    enter..the Sandman

Dumas Kit # 402 Gilmore red Lion (Wedell Williams model 44)

Work has commenced on this next Roscoe Turner flown aircraft of the Golden Age
    I have the fuselage infill about halfway done and decided to make my own radial engine for it from scratch..
    this is the beginning of that work - here I'm checking the fit of the engine to the cowling

enter..the Sandman

here is the target aircraft and her intrepid aviator..

enter..the Sandman

Made a top job of that motor

John

all work and no play makes Homer something something..

I have the cowling completed - the motor can be removed from the back of it so is not affixed just yet - still needs more detailing and paint

enter..the Sandman

couple more images of the cowl and motor

here you can see I need to do a bit more filling and smoothing of the transition from the forward plastic cowl ring to the main cowling

here is a look at the rear of the cowl. You can see the spacing around the fuselage as well as the thin but sturdy birch ply and how it nicely imitates the look of a sheet metal cowling skin.

this is the cowling before I wrapped it with the birch ply - In this picture I was setting the engine and making sure I could 'set it back' from the cowl opening - the crankcase bell should be just inside of the opening - almost flush.
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 23