Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee

I hope I can do it justice.

My two favorite warbirds are the Curtiss P40 and the Grumman Wildcat.
    For the US they were the first responders, in it from the start, and stayed in the fight for the duration.

If I can find a suitable model of the Wildcat it will be next in line after this build
    enter..the Sandman

I still do things the old school way..cork core building board, T-pins, wax paper, etc...

enter..the Sandman

just to give a sense of the basic and essential construction method. Whether you build for flight or display, the essential construction of each component of the kit is the same.

enter..the Sandman

you can see I've added a cockpit floor for the later enhancement of the area. I'll correct the panel and shroud too

enter..the Sandman

working on the fuselage. The P-40 has a really cool form, from the large chin intake, to the cockpit cutouts behind the pilot, to the way the gear sorta semi-retracts yet still kinda has too much of itself hanging out in the slipstream when it's up.

But the fuselage. Lots of work to do to get it looking more or less accurate..

I replaced the card stock that lines the cutouts with 1/64" thick birch ply..

You can also see that I doubled the firewall with a sheet of 3/32" thick balsa to give the plastic cowling more to hold onto, just sanded it to shape and then the cowling slides
    over it with a good 1/8" of overlap / glued surface all around the inside edge

The infill finished, I have begun the filling and sanding process. This will take a week maybe
    enter..the Sandman

more sanding and filling, Cowling attached and cooling vents installed

you can kind of see that the cowling went on nicely with a very good seal all the way around..made flush with the filler and more sanding. lol
    enter..the Sandman

At this point I probably still need to add another layer of filler, sand that off and then spot fill any remaining defects -

I still have to furnish the cockpit and install the masked canopy before I can move on to the wings and tail assemblies.
    enter..the Sandman

I fabricated and installed the glycol cooler cans - they are behind the scoop where they belong...I think maybe I should have cut out the dividers that were molded into the cowl and made my own.

Maybe next time..

the flash is horrible but it's the only way to see those cans in there..Also the top mounted air intake is installed now -
    enter..the Sandman

Still need to lay on more filler yet..

as soon as the surface of the fuselage is prepped fully I can start on the cockpit interior - long way to go yet.
    enter..the Sandman

ghost in the machine..

enter..the Sandman

and a little paint...needs a dullcoat

enter..the Sandman

SOH Staff .."Cantina Janitor" Daveroo's Avatar
    once again,AWESOME

Thanks, Dave
    So I took a break from balsa the other day, just to switch things up a bit.
    This is a 1940 Willy's coupe - a Gasser.. from the same era as the P40 so I guess it's sort of 'on topic' maybe

enter..the Sandman

the body is painted Tamiya 'Racing White' and the interior is a combination of that and Testors 'Competition Orange'

I always like the look of this car and now I know why...it looks like a cousin of the Curtiss P-40
    enter..the Sandman

SOH Staff .."Cantina Janitor" Daveroo's Avatar
    hats pretty nice,i bought a dremel 3D printer,working on the CAD now.and my drawings for the truck bed are about done as well.should start building soon.

Members who have read this thread: 67