Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee - Page 10
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee

the upper wing infill process involves working the underside first and from the center out. I want to support the stringers initially and maintain equal tension so I cut a section of the 4" x 36" x 3/32" sheet about 8" long (I basically want to fill about 6 openings per strip) then using the wings stringers as a guide I line the section up to the center stringer and mark the distance to the next stringer on both ends. Using a straightedge I then cut the strip. That strip is marked along one edge (the leading edge of the wing) so I can keep it oriented to the openings I want to fill. Then, working from the center out and in a line, I fill in that row of openings until I have the entire center row filled in. Then I do the next row on the underside..leaving the LE and TE rows until the center rows of the top of the wing are done. In this way I can get the stringers on both sides of the upper wing supported with infill.
    After that I finish the underside the same way, from the center out and working the trailing edge first. Then the top of the upper wing is done. Then finally the wing tips can be done.

Once this is completed I can rough sand the wing surfaces, LE and TE as well as the wing tip until I have a uniform shape and profile. Then the filler goes on in multiple coats with medium sanding in between each application. Hopefully at the end of that I'll have a nice smooth wing to begin to detail and seal.

The decal proofs have been confirmed so I should have them by mid August - about the time I will be ready for them.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

the decals have arrived and they look great - ordered from Bedlam Creations
    enter..the Sandman

working away on the top wing..the fuel tank is in, I still have to attach the trapeze brace and a few vent lines.

Then I can start on the underside with the fuel indicator tube, fuel valves and lines and the mirror etc...

enter..the Sandman

meanwhile the next project has arrived - Guillow's P-40 in 1/16 scale...

I was thinking about Chennault's Aleutian scheme for it but might yet just do the later Tiger paint - love that shark mouth on a P-40

What do you think?
    enter..the Sandman

whatever you chose will be great im sure..a buddy of mines grandfathers brother (how ever that relation is..great uncle?) flew them in North Africa and the pacific later..i had all of his info,but cant find it now,will have to ask Travis again...but i may try my hand at it ,where did you get the P40 from?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    whatever you chose will be great im sure..a buddy of mines grandfathers brother (how ever that relation is..great uncle?) flew them in North Africa and the pacific later..i had all of his info,but cant find it now,will have to ask Travis again...but i may try my hand at it ,where did you get the P40 from?
    https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/gui/gui405lc.htm
    enter..the Sandman

thanks for the link,lot less expensive then i expected..should be fun...

test fitting the wing struts to make sure they fit into the holes in the wings - alignment isn't bad either which is good. Anytime you can just set the upper wing onto the struts and be close to all of the variables of alignment you can call yourself a lucky bast..err modeler

I might be able to put the decals onto the main assembly tomorrow - then finish up on the upper wing and install it in a day or two as the paint is allowed to dry first.
    We're getting closer to completion but the rigging will take some time to do.
    enter..the Sandman

getting the decals on along with a clear semi-gloss overcoat
    enter..the Sandman

I should be able to install a fully painted and completed upper wing tomorrow or the day after, then I can go onto the rigging and final assembly bits n parts
    enter..the Sandman

so the rigging placement holes are drilled out and now I want to pre-install the rigging lines into the top wing - this way I wont have to keep flipping the plane upside-down
    endlessly..less handling means (hopefully) less chance of a ding or scrape etc..

the upper wing has its yellow coat on but I still need to paint the red 'find me if I crash' stripes on it.
    enter..the Sandman

et voila

next the US star roundels will be applied and then a clear coat overall
    enter..the Sandman

mounting the upper wing. I attached the outer wing struts to the upper wing first using white glue..
    as soon as they are secure but not 100% cured, I set the wing making sure to check the alignment.
    Since there is some play due to the holes being hogged out until just a tad oversized compared to the strut ends, I can usually get a good fit and still be able to coax the wing into position. Then I use a toothpick with a dot of CYA adhesive to secure the lower strut ends in place. After that has cured - pretty quickly - I then paint the attachment points with a white glue and water mixture with a fine brush.
    As soon as all is set and cured I can trim and fit the cabane struts and install them, being careful not to affect the alignment in any adverse way.

enter..the Sandman

Now I just need to drill a few holes in the horizontal stabilizer and the lower fuselage, maybe apply a bit more adhesive to the struts throughout the day and then let that all dry 24 hrs - then tomorrow I can
    start on the rigging.
    Meantime I need to fabricate the mirror and housing and the fuel indicator tube..maybe paint the prop tips the prewar red/yellow/blue since I am just going to go with the kit supplied propeller. AS you can see I made the struts all Lt. Grey
    per this photograph
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0000035347.jpg  
    enter..the Sandman

please forgive my poor photography...

enter..the Sandman

ok - sorry for the photospam

This airplane being among my top 5 favorites, meant I had to work a little extry hard to get the result I wanted. This came very close.

I love a Stearman - any Stearman
    enter..the Sandman

once again I have to thank them fellers at GAS - as soon as they announced their new Stearman project I purchased this kit.

I hope to be able to learn how to paint in FSX so I can recreate this scheme onto their PT-17...

It was fun also referring to their 3D model for assistance while working out some of the details added to this kit.
    enter..the Sandman

if anyone is interested, I posted a brief pictorial on how I install the rigging lines - someone on another forum asked so at the end of this thread I posted some information.

http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bi...35141284/32#32
    enter..the Sandman

that steerman looks great,cant wait to see and follow the P40!!

Members who have read this thread: 23