Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee - Page 8
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee

all sanded, filled, sealed, and otherwise prepped for paint...now I just need to hire a painter

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Just completed - almost...I still need to add some panel lines around the cowling.
    From Guillow - built over the last week or so.

recovered some of the lost photobucket images and I am just re-posting those. This is the Cherokee I built referenced in the title of this thread so I thought I would replace them
    enter..the Sandman

the C170

here are the lost images of the Guillow Cessna 170

enter..the Sandman

DHc-2 Beaver on floats

and the DeHavilland..

enter..the Sandman

so if you open this thread to page one and see the dead links (thanks FUbucket..err photobucket) these are the images that were lost...along with my favorite image of the Beaver

enter..the Sandman

the wing struts are fitted but wont be glued in until after the painting is done..the canopyhas been masked and attached with CYA and white glue.

The paint goes on tomorrow depending on the weather
    enter..the Sandman

initial pass with 'Italian Red'...

the game is afoot, Watson
    enter..the Sandman

a nice red base color... we'll let this dry for a day then mask and paint the black accents. After that the fun begins with the pinstripe activity
    enter..the Sandman

this is pretty much the final outcome. I still need to paint the accents onto the spats but I need a break and may or may not return to it. They can be painted anytime.

it was a challenge to build and even more so to get this paint job done..
    enter..the Sandman

Ocean Beach today at 11:30 PST

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all
    enter..the Sandman

what do you think of this...?

my next project and I can't decide on the paint scheme..Navy, AF - yellow overall, yellow wings white fuselage...or AF blue fuselage and yellow wings or all silver post '44
    or this Navy hodgepodge. Apparently as these trainers went through service life it was not unusual for the fabric and the metal, when it was replaced, to go on in whatever color. Eventually the AF just left them in the silver paint the factory produced them in.
    In this case it looks like this aircraft got all new metal surfaces in the light grey undercoat and the owner has not yet applied his Navy yellow to it
    enter..the Sandman

apparently photobucket has new management and they have decided to temporarily unblock users photos for a limited time while they decide what to charge for their service..I guess NO ONE went for the $399.00 annual fee they imposed last year lol

..now they are thinking $19.99 ought to do it - but I'm not paying for anything the other sites give me for free.

Anyway - the images on page one of this topic have been restored for now - such as they are.
    enter..the Sandman

PT-17 Fuselage under construction - the Guillow kit has a flawed front end situation. I will make some small modifications to mitigate the problem but next time (should there be one) I am not going to use their plastic formed crankcase / fuselage front end but will use balsa and shape a proper part myself. To save time and because here we are however...errr..here we are

enter..the Sandman

the kit supplied wheels were too skinny - so I made Oreo's using 3/32" thick balsa as the filling...tasty
    enter..the Sandman

Man i love your work,thanks for posting the shots.makes me want to work on working on the brass cars..ive been reading ,learning and wanting to learn more on it.i cant make myself buy the lathe and drill press,too much money for me..but i know and have drawn plans for the california super modified i want to build first already.
    like this

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20045592_822734194571718_91069276274878994_o.jpg   26172099_1747285855345797_8382777289106087156_o.jpg  

hey Daveroo - just do what you love to do...works for me
    enter..the Sandman

I have modified the kit supplied cylinders and pilot. First - the pilot seemed to be in a state of rapture, staring up almost vertically to the sky. I cut out the material under his chin and repositioned his head to look more longitudinally if a bit left-ish.
    The cylinders were made thicker and taller - more to scale - and to accommodate the exhaust pipes, give them room to bend into the collection ring. I will add the spark plugs and wiring as well once they are installed to the crankcase

enter..the Sandman

a little paint on our pilot, and a new crankcase...

enter..the Sandman

yes I sliced off the flawed portion of the Guillow part

enter..the Sandman

the panels are in, as well as some other small details. Much more to do in both 'pits
    enter..the Sandman

the main gear legs are installed..here shown with a pair of oversized wheels for the bush.

still some cleaning up to do on these legs - then the tail assembly will have to be laid up and infilled for installation. The wings will be built up last, lower wing first so it can be installed and the main aircraft assembly painted.

enter..the Sandman

cockpit coamings are in place and the tail is being applied
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 28