Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee - Page 2
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee

Now they are a work of art

thank you for saying so - I appreciate the encouragement
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

new project...

the brothers who built for speed in the 1930's made a splash with this Golden Age ripper

enter..the Sandman

more GeeBee Z

You might have noticed the belly cover is tacked directly to the plan...I was very careful to make this small part without my usual glue fiesta
    We are getting closer to assembly
    enter..the Sandman

the model requires a 9" prop of a type that is uncommon for this scale and the only thing provided in the kit is a rubber band type plastic one..so I had to make a scale one.
    I have never had much luck making propellers - none actually...but this one looks ok.

The primer is on the prop and the engine cowling but I still need to apply more sealer and sanding effort to the wing and landing gear before I can prime them.
    This Dumas kit is very nice but there is one key element missing. There are no patterns or parts for the wing root fairings...and nothing on the plan sheet either.
    I have made a few paper patterns of my own but nothing is working out - too many compound curves to deal with. I could make them from balsa - cut formers from 1/16" thick sheet stock, space them an inch or so apart along the wing root - then infill with balsa and wood filler - then contour sand the hollow with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. Or - skip it because that would be bananas

enter..the Sandman

the cowling with the engine and prop mounted temporarily...looks like a bit of orange peel effect on the cowl so some light sanding and another coat of gloss black - it all gets an overcoat of clear after final assembly so that will smooth it out
    enter..the Sandman

coming along - the LG is not glued on yet..still have to apply the black paint trim..
    enter..the Sandman

still need to add the flying wires...
    enter..the Sandman

these should be the final images I post of the finished GeeBee Z

enter..the Sandman

for my next trick...

Dumas makes a kit in the same scale as the GeeBee Z...
    enter..the Sandman

so the engine kit just arrived for the Laird..Williams Brothers in Texas makes extremely high quality aircraft accessories in molded plastic.
    This is their Wasp 'dummy' engine kit - meaning it is open at the back and through the crankcase, so I it can be fitted easily over an electric motor or gear housing for RC flying models to have the appearance of a scale radial engine providing the power.

These are perfect for 1/12" scale balsa display models too - and they come in all popular RC scales. They offer Le Rhone engines the same way for the WWI and similar models also.

there is a crankcase assembly and 9 individually bagged cylinder assemblies. (you can buy just the cylinders if you want)
    enter..the Sandman

It will have a detailed cockpit, including working cockpit doors and sliding canopy.
    work is progressing slowly..

enter..the Sandman

Your a master craftsman you sure are making a great job out of those models

I appreciate your words of encouragement, musterpilot - thank you

There are quite a few builders around - try virtual aerodrome and just look up any mfg. or aircraft type to see the works of many talented artists
    http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/?p_menu=1

also Stick and tissue website under either 'Current Builds' or 'Hangar Space'

most of these folks have been at this longer than I have and their work is miles ahead of mine

some of the models are just incredible - especially the scratch built masterworks
    http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
    enter..the Sandman

All but the last step are complete..I have to add the flying wires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5464.jpg   IMG_5459.jpg  
    enter..the Sandman

ok the Laird Super Solution is done.

enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 20