Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee - Page 16
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 68910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by musterpilot View Post
    Made a top job of that motor

John
    Thanks John
    More to do on it yet - working on the cockpit now.
    Trying to sort through my reference pictures.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

tail feathers fabricated and applied to the fuselage

enter..the Sandman

in the image above you can also see that the wing is laid up, and the dihedral has been set. I have begun the infill process on it and am looking over the landing gear aspects to see what the best method is going to be. Lots of work still ahead on this project

enter..the Sandman

just a quick update - more pictures soon

this is what she would look like with retractable LG

enter..the Sandman

Very nice coming along very well

John
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

Thanks ,John -
    this thread is approaching a milestone...
    enter..the Sandman

100,211 views of this thread as I write this. Thank you to SOH admins for hosting these images and notes over the past few (several) years and to all who have politely commented or found entertainment just having a look see. I hope it has drawn new forum visitors as well (having linked the thread a time or two elsewhere) and maybe even brought a few new people around to flight simming over the years. I want to make sure and express my appreciation to all of you - thank you. I have a few more projects in the works to share and look forward to that as well as the completion of the Wedell Williams 44 in Roscoe Turner's Gilmore Red Lion livery.
    Stay healthy friends.
    enter..the Sandman

Icon26

Well you do keep us on our toes with your fantastic model building we just have to keep coming back to see how you are going with your builds
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

I'm hoping that the thread can offer some distraction from the news of the day, if not inspiration. I have been without FSX since November and now is just not the time to be without my favorite flightsim...so this is doubly therapeutic for me..

I'm glad to be of service - if that's what I am.
    anyway - here is an update. I am test fitting the LG and have finished the wing root fairings and fillets..

enter..the Sandman

I am almost finished with the Red Lion project. All that is left to do is make the prop and create and attach the wing walks

enter..the Sandman

That is fantastic

Thanks, John

I'm just trying to pay homage to the history of aviation and it's Golden Age - as written here in America by the people at the bleeding edge of its earliest and most incredible expansion. Somehow these stories of Lockheed, Travel Air, Wedell Williams, the Granville Bro's, Jimmy Doolittle, Wiley Post, and so many others have not been widely told. I know this forum consists of aviation enthusiasts - some who know these names and some who may know only their names - who can appreciate these projects.
    This isn't to say there were only inventors, aviators, and engineers here in the States doing this work - obviously it was a global human effort as can be seen by the list of contestants and aircraft mfgs. entered into and often winning in the various air races and in the record books of the day. I'll leave their stories for others to tell. I do not mean to suggest that their work was any less important. Only that my interests are focused here more or less.

I have completed the cowling by adding the centerline chevron to the corners of the 'mouth' or 'lips' as the accent striping around the motor opening were often called..

enter..the Sandman

these are the final images of the Wedell Williams type 44 as flown by Roscoe Turner in the Gilmore Oil Co livery..

I thank everyone for viewing these images over the course of this build project and for the positive encouragement especially of those who took the time to express it here. Thank You
    enter..the Sandman

I had to fix a major error I made to the paint scheme. I think I had it in my head to follow the Air Express livery and had missed the way the red Lion's wheel fairings were supposed to look. Anyway - I have fixed that mistake now..

enter..the Sandman

Another great job well done

John

Thanks John
    This one turned out ok despite my gaffe. I had some doubts about fixing it. Thought about claiming ‘artistic license’ or swearing I’d seen a picture of it that way, that the wheel fairings had been painted red on the inner halves after the cowling was changed from smooth to bumped. Lol
    hopefully soon I’ll get through a project WITHOUT stepping on a rake somewhere.
    enter..the Sandman

Only someone in the know would spot that mate I didn't

Quote Originally Posted by musterpilot View Post
    Only someone in the know would spot that mate I didn't
    I thought of this too, that ultimately only a few folks would see it. This is what made the decision to attempt a correction with acrylic paint ‘palatable’ - if I tried and it worked it was a win, and if I tried it and it failed I could wash it off and have the original back as if nothing had happened. Still a win. My uncomfortability with the mistake stemmed from my claim of trying to pay homage to the people of that period who built and flew this aeroplane. My reproduction had to be faithful. Thankfully now it is.
    But I’m hoping seriously not to make this glaring a mistake again anytime soon.
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post

That looks fantastic

Thank you, John,
    I have almost all of the videos posted to the channel now - including the slideshow finale.
    I should have the beginning of the next project vids up tomorrow..
    enter..the Sandman

Dumas kit #1216 USCG 41' utility boat - They make a bigger one now #1214 that is close to 30" long..However they used to make this little version that is about 12" long or about 1/25 scale. It is still available (or was) as a discontinued kit for about $35

It is as detailed as the bigger boat and suits my purpose better than the larger one.
    Here are some images of the work so far..

enter..the Sandman

I added a few extra details to the wheelhouse - namely a wheel - and a few other touches as I go.
    I've fitted the railings and splashed some paint around..still lots to do yet.

enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I added a few extra details to the wheelhouse - namely a wheel - and a few other touches as I go.
    I've fitted the railings and splashed some paint around..still lots to do yet.

That is looking great

Members who have read this thread: 35