HiFi fans advice sought

Thread: HiFi fans advice sought

HiFi fans advice sought

Having recently re-discovered the delights of vinyl recordings over digital, I bought myself a turntable. A Denon DP29F. I haven't had LP's in 20 years so I am completely out of touch. At the moment I have a Micro Sony thing which is barely adequate.

Yesterday in Best Buy I re-aquainted myself with their hopeless Geek Squad who know absolutely NOTHING on the subject. So I would maybe like to return and bamboozle them completely with superior knowledge. Also I visited a Source store (formerly Radio Shack) and was met with blank looks at the word Amplifier. Where do they get their staff?

Now I need a hint or three as to which (affordable) Amp or Receiver to purchase. In my day Pioneer or Marantz was "the thing" nowadays they seem non existent.

I would like an Amp which I can connect my turntable to (it has a built in preamp apparently) but also a USB stick for MP3's if possible.

Also Speakers - in days of yore Wharfedale were the ones to get but what now?

I look forward oto any suggestions.

Pricing? In the region of no more than $300 for speakers and $400 for an Amp/receiver.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nch.com

they have nch.com A TRIALWARE FOR RECORDING VYNL I HAVE NOT USED IT BUT HAVE USED OTHER SOFTWARE WORTH A TRYHsorry for the caps im blind asa teapotH
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

H you got the wrong end of the stick. I want to listen to vinyl not record it. Anyway that link is some unrelated company. Thanks for the response anyway.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Naismith,

A couple years ago I bought a inexpensive, but quite adequate, phono preamp from Amazon. It's a TC-750. Price is about $43. Works great!

My speakers are more pricey, but WELL worth the cost! Bose 301-V $328 (for a pair). They are excellent!

Originally I had tried to find a amplifier with a built in phono preamp, but opted for this set up, as it easily connects to my surround receiver.

NC

I recently replaced my 20+ year old Pioneer with a Denon and was amazed at how out of touch I was on audio trends. So either Pioneer or Denon (at least so far with the Denon) would be a good choice. Also would depend on if you will be using a surround sound setup and what kind of surround sound you want if any as there are multiple setups to chose from. Also the kind of hook ups you need (HDMI,RCA,TOSLINK) and how much power you want.The unit I chose (AVR-S900W) was right at 400 bucks at Amazon and has multiple surround sound options. You could also go for one of the box deals that includes matched receiver and speakers. I have heard that Onkyo is also a good choice but don't have any personal experience with them. Took me about a month to decide which one to get did tons of research at Amazon, Crutchfield, BestBuy and other web sites paying particular attention to user reviews.

Hope this helps.

Surround sound is something I had not considered until this post. Now even more at a loss....... I have seen a Denon Amp & Paradigm speakers on Craigslist but SWMBO is very wary of that site and is taking some convincing. Caveat Emptor and all that.....
    More research required methinks..

Many yonks ago I had a Sansui system in a black glass fronted cabinet... it was a piece of furniture. They don't seem to do that sort of thing anymore. I don't much like the look of these Micro systems. I need buttons and dials and switches. Something that looks serious. :-)
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Members who have read this thread: 0