Martinsville antics - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martinsville antics

Hey All,

Nothing inconsistent.

Circumstance decides - not the action itself

Brian France gets that.

You do realize that with this chase format drivers have to be smart and constantly aware of where they are and where their competition is.

Take JLo at Kansas - already punched his ticket to the next round. Going for a win but I have no doubt knew that with kenseth blocking he could use the bumper just like Dale earnhardt, Rusty Wallace, jAWS and others. He can't hurt himself as he is into the next round but maybe one of the other fast cars in the chase won't advance. Like yeah do it! Now kenseth he's dumb holding up a faster car that could put him out. See? Then Kenseth well he's dumb and puts JLo in a wall and gets suspended and will be watched. And JLo has two races to make it anyway - with the Penske cars maybe he will - I'd not bet against it. An well Kenseth he ain't doin that again not this year or next.

You see the driver code - I race you like you race me has to knuckle under to the France chase rules - the driver code does not and should not rule. You can if your smart think through all kinds a strategies and such - Penske I bet has - as has the Harv. It's all about getting to the next round. And these drivers have been warned at every drivers meeting but have they really thought through all the implications?

And that is the point the penalties for Danica and Matt were and should be very different - as stated by Brian France - and as in life it is all about the circumstances. There is no black and white - it is all 50 shades of grey.

I luv it - racing should be strategy first. I always go for smart drivers.

Otherwise just get in the fastest car and go win the race - boring. Lets get excited about who gets 10th!! What racing series is that boring?

So does this mean there are two classes of drivers on the track for the last 10 races of the year in NASCAR? Yes absolutely! But if racing hard for a win a "second class" car can use the bumper or lean - that is fair and I've no doubt Brian France supports that. So again situational awareness is everything. - as it should be. Who is the car behind or beside you and where do they stand in the chase or the race determines your action - better be smart not like Kenseth.

The old ways are dead - get over it.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Brian France is going to listen to ratings, Brian France gets business.
    What you call the old ways are still NASCAR's bread and butter.
    For every Iceman like Labonte or Martin, there is the Earnhardt or Stewart.
    Both have their place and both are great racers.
    If NASCAR were nothing but Jimmy Johnsons roboting their way to victory then NASCAR wouldn't have any ratings in days gone by or next weekend.
    Good sports is about the passion, you know "The thrill of victory the agony of defeat"
    No one is looking for headlines like "Johnson again really thankful for crews efforts, second only to his appreciation of his sponsors"

Martinville antics are going to be a part of NASCAR as long as there is a NASCAR. They will punish it to keep it under control but they would never want to stifle it.
    Look what we are still talking about mid week. Bad boys, fines, mediocre mid-pack drivers only getting 50k fines. It is all fodder for the hype machine that NASCAR thrives on
    If you think that is a thing of the past then I have doubts you have been to a race. (or you just have to have the last word )

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    If you think that is a thing of the past then I have doubts you have been to a race. (or you just have to have the last word )
    I can honestly say that I've never been to a race - but with Texas Motor Speedway "just up the street" from me, a truck race is on my "to do" list....

Lightbulb

Oh I forgot...
    I can't wait for Gilliland to get payback on Danica since he now knows he won't get a harsh punishment...In fact, unlike Kenseth but just like Danica, Gilliland can state his actions on the radio, execute them, and still escape harsh punishment...Just like Danica...

Hey All,

Did you even watch the race? Danica hardly touched Gilliland and then hurried to the garage not trying to catch Gilliland. You don't get huge penalties for this or talk. Go watch the video. Heck here watch.

And you consider this to be as serious as what Kenseth did? Zero tolerance is dumb and will never be enforced nor should it. It is all about the circumstance.

-Ed-
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Now this guy is SPOT ON!!!
    Opinion: NASCAR should've given same penalty to Danica, Kenseth
    -> http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...patrick-110515

Just make sure those different rules apply equally to all 43 drivers, or the real-world consequences could be a lot uglier than what we saw at Martinsville.

Lightbulb

Another commentator that sees the bigger picture...
    http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...lliland-110215

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Maybe NASCAR is looking at it like criminal sentencing guidelines. For example, you wouldn't go to San Quentin for ten years for stealing a candy bar from a 7/11. You get 10 years for stealing a million dollars from the bank on Main Street. Even though both crimes are acts of deliberate theft. In the same way, what Kenseth did was "worse" then what Patrick did. Heck, she actually failed to wreck the 38 car, only herself! Kenseth, after his appeal was turned down, said he didn't know there was a rule that said he couldn't pile drive the 22 car into the wall at 150 MPH, so how could be punished? Brilliant! But it seems to me that these two incidents, Danica's and Kenseth's are "beyond" the rule book. When they each decided to wreck the object of their displeasure, they were no longer racing. Is there a rule in the baseball rule book that says the pitcher can't slug the umpire in the face because he made him angry?

O.T. Remember last year when Kenseth tackled Keslowski after a race, claiming he was so angry because BK hit him after he had unbuckled his seat belts? After Well, after last week can we agree that was a BS excuse? Just say he p**sed you off and you wanted to kick his butt. We all get that. Why make up a story about being all concerned about safety? To quote Kenseth himself, when talking about Logano, I used to be a fan...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Question

PRB,
    Point taken but what if in Danica's mele, say Harvick got taken out by either Gilliand or Danica - then what?

Hey All,

Like anatomy everybody has an opinion. I agree with the idea that in the case of NASCAR the punishment must fit the circumstances not just the crime. We never want NASCAR to be open wheel with fenders. The whole idea of NASCAR racing in essence being about the car and the driver pressuring the car in front into a mistake would be boring boring boring - like F1 is the vast majority of the time. In every drivers meeting the drivers are warned about all of this on track retaliation and any back of the pack antics to help teammates and if the Danica/Gilliland continues to escalate NASCAR will step in harder. NASCAR is watching and has I'm certain thought through the vast vast majority of scenarios. And yes when there are 43 cars on the track any driver can be a victim of circumstance - like poor Denny when Kevin had that incredibly unfortunate accident at talledega to advance.

-Ed-

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    PRB,
    Point taken but what if in Danica's mele, say Harvick got taken out by either Gilliand or Danica - then what?
    Then her penalty would be greater, and she'd have to fight Harvick... I'm not saying drivers should not be penalized for these particular shenanigans, I'm just saying the penalties don't have to be, and should not, be consistent.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Then her penalty would be greater, and she'd have to fight Harvick... I'm not saying drivers should not be penalized for these particular shenanigans, I'm just saying the penalties don't have to be, and should not, be consistent.
    LoL!
    Well, the unequal-ruling tells me and apparently, I'm not the only one (see my previous posts) that "boys have it" still applies if you're a back marker and not in the chase....

Imagine if the NFL only penalized late hits on teams whose opponents had playoff chances...

Hey All,

NASCAR got it right refusing the 20 appeal. Hopefully they told him do it again and you get suspended for a month.

Danica's treatment was just right.

-Ed-

Members who have read this thread: 0