DX10 or not to DX10?

View Poll Results: Do you use DX10? (VISTA Uses only)

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • DX10 all the way!

42 42.86%
  • DX9 all the way!

56 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DX10 or not to DX10?

DX10 or not to DX10?

Hi

Just wondering if the VISA uses our there use DX10?

Is the performance hit worth it?

Ben

I used to run DX10 all of the time, but in the end the novelty of cockpit shadowing wore off and the annoyance of flickering ground areas annoyed me too much.

It does have its issues- the aforementioned crappy taxiway/runway/anythingonthegroundway flickering aspect is forever annoying.
    Forever lurking.

Purcell
    Hi,

I'm using DX10 for some weeks now, because the RealFlight F6F causes real bad stuttering using DX9 - so, a smooth Hellcat means much more to me, than a textured Ju52!

Tom (who doesn't see a severe performance hit in normal flight, but agrees that the flickering is disgusting)

My frame rates are much more stable in DX-10 mode so i use that. I agree the flickering of taxiway textures is a bit annoying but a smooth flight is more important in my opinion.

kind regards,

Meso
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Core 2duo E 8400 @ 3.00 GHz
    MSI 48C Platinum
    nVidia 8800GTX 768MB
    Corsair 4GB DDR 3

Couldn't care one hoot for DX10 as it's not a complete option in the sim, I do fully understand that some people get better performance however. For me the only advantage in DX10 is the water, but IMO this pleasing effect is far overshadowed by the flickering texture issue.

DX9 is fine for my needs.

Why the Poll, are you developing and looking for feedback?
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I also use Direct X 10 with the same isssues as above and the benefit of smoother flight; even if it is only 5-6 fps [total] on my ol' P.C. I really like the self-shadowing in the V.C.; why MS dropped the V.C. rain effect I'll never know, I guess it was to be one or the other! Another thing about Direct X 10 is that your external aircraft lights such as Nav., Positon, Strobe, Afterburner effect ( if it is a light.fx ) will only show from certain angles while in spot view mode.

DX10 does not allow AA to be enabled through your graphics card control panel. The native AA in FSX looks nowhere near as good as custom AA, especially at 1920x1200.

DX10 gives badly flickering textures on runways & taxiways etc. On my system it gives no performance boost whatsoever. IIRC DX10 may also break vsync in FSX.

It is only a preview mode with some very minor graphics improvements but a lot of graphics problems are caused to get those improvements. Also the very jaggy VC shadowing looks absolutely horrible IMHO.

DX9 for me since it has none of the issues and performs exactly the same on my system.

SOH-CM-2024
    DX9 here too, I get the same flickering effects of runway and taxiways markings and my frame rate is a good 3 to 4 fps slower using DX10. Truth is, I don't think FSX is truly capable of utilizing DX10 to its full advantage.

Caz

I didn't see any real FPS increase with DX10 but the sim definitely ran more smoothly, which is more important than outright FPS to me. However, the remaining FS9 ports in my hanger don't display properly under DX10, and I'm not prepared to give up my favourite A2A P-51 just yet.

hinch
    Quote Originally Posted by ICDP View Post
    DX10 does not allow AA to be enabled through your graphics card control panel. The native AA in FSX looks nowhere near as good as custom AA, especially at 1920x1200.

DX10 gives badly flickering textures on runways & taxiways etc. On my system it gives no performance boost whatsoever. IIRC DX10 may also break vsync in FSX.

It is only a preview mode with some very minor graphics improvements but a lot of graphics problems are caused to get those improvements. Also the very jaggy VC shadowing looks absolutely horrible IMHO.

DX9 for me since it has none of the issues and performs exactly the same on my system.
    Same here.

Looking at the FPS counter I get slightly better performance in DX10 mode although it is not perceptible. The only anomaly I have seen with it is at some angle the AB on some aircraft wont display.

I have found myself turning it on & off as the mood moves me.

It is presently off FWIW.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I don't use Dx10 mode because of flickering runways. I don't like VC selfshadowing too, because there is a visible offset between shadow, and shadow casting object.

I am with the others that do not care for it, did not gain any FPS and got all the above issues with it so It is turned off for good.

Jim

SOH-CM-2023
    Mostly fly with DX9 since I use many fs9 planes. No significant fps difference.

Fly dx10 when I want vc shadows and better water, but that is only 5% of the time.

I always use DX10 and much prefer the way water looks + things are smoother . AA is not an issue , no enhancer in use but screenshots are perfect as is rendering in game .<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    But i never fly FSX for recreation as i design full time and it feels like work , staring at the screen with the latest bird staring back at me after 8 hours kind of removes the fun factor , that said all the work i release is designed for use with DX10 , has cockpit shadows and is tested to run in sp 1 , sp 2 and Accel so all the bases are covered.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    For "fun" i fly air races with the boys at Props , on a special server at WCATC that monitors time to the millisecond and gate skips , allows a starter plane to do a lap around a different course each week and we also do cross country <o></o>
    races on occasion in a gang of different planes , P51D's , Lancair's , Laird turner's ( used them last thursday ) , and texans , pitts biplane , and last but not least the P38.<o></o>
    This activity causes sweaty palms and often long term rivalries, i have been doing it for years now and still finish dead last , but don’t end up in the dirt and that keeps me from being disqualified like most newbees , This is all done using FS9 and with a quadcore i get some amazing framerates... <o></o>
    <o></o>

Gold Leader
    All but DX9 here, it runs fine with ATi HD 4870 X2's Which was kind of a surprise, normallyI use an XFX 9800 GX2XXX Edition, since a mate of mne hat ATi's R700 I lend it from him because hhe wanted to know if this card could cope with FSX as like an other Ati couldn't , but it did he was very surprised!

Normally ATi cards have mainly a hard time when running FSX, it seems that ATi Cat 9.1 fixed a lot of issues as the image quality is staggering.

I've largely abandoned to use the DX10 mode. It's somewhat faster on my system, some nice effects I can use bloom without any fps penality (although I prefer DX9 light bloom effects), but there are just too many problems at too many places: flickering runway textures at some airports, double runway markings at others, problems with night lightning in some sceneries, no compatibility with FS9 portover stuff etc. For some time I switched between both modes depending on aircraft and scenery and planned to use, but now stay with DX9 exclusively.

Gold Leader
    heh indeed I always had good performance with DX9 + SP1 so I didn't even see the point of installing SP2 and up if something runs perfectly stable without glitches I'm like keep it that way, since I don't even see the point using DX10 for such a matter the physics used in FSX in DX9 should be exact the same as with DX10 the bending wings and rain as such.

Then if you really want to make FSX look better use Ultimate Terrain FSX or something in that kind of direction, heh I don't even n this since iit's kind of hard to find on DVD heh, all I'd like is an ultimate terrain pack of the entire globe with everything in it, but the thing is does something like this even exist?

I mainly fly in XP with DX9 of course.
    I have Vista 64bit but have since deleted it from my system mainly as I wasnt happy with it in FSX for all the prevoiusly mentioned reasons.

I'm currently playing about with the Windows 7 beta but it has all the same problems in FSX as Vista douse.

I do get better frames with W7 and Vista in DX10 but I think thats mainly due to the broken AA, I use combined 8xS through NHancer but thats ignored in DX10 and will only run FSX's default AA which I beleive is only 2x hence the highed FPS.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I ended up turning off all those extra DX 10 additions.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by radialmr View Post
    How do you turn off DX10 ?
    Thanks
    Mel
    On the settings "Graphics"
    Un-check "Preview DirectX 10"
    Easy

Ben

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by radialmr View Post
    How do you turn off DX10 ?
    Thanks
    Mel

Mel, it's more like how do you turn it on.

FSX is default in DX9 mode. To get DX10 you have to click Settings > Customize > and check the Preview DX10, then close out of the sim and open it again. Now you're in Preview DX10 mode. Mine stays with the Preview DX10 choice unchecked, I just don't care for it.

Caz

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    My card won't run it anyway so I don't design for it and I don't miss it. Although my colleague Bob Baum checks the scenery on his system. Why have a poll for a Demo for an unfinished feature which may not now appear anyway? Seems a bit pointless to me. Just my two penn'orth.
    MickeyD

Members who have read this thread: 50