Carenado Dornier DO228 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carenado Dornier DO228

I never said there weren't any 3rd party paints, but there are hardly any since the switch to pelt mapping on carenado planes, which is a sign of how unfriendly it is.

Possible? sure, anything is. But its far more time consuming to work with pelt mapped parts than anything else. The fact its flat textures with no paint kit isn't an issue, but different scaled parts and weird rotations and UV unwraps is unnecessary and simply lazy.

Everyone does things differently,

However you missed my point again

Firekitten, you are on target with your assessment. Jeansy - I disagree with one statement - the worst thing to do is to stay quiet and move on. If one wants something changed, one has to voice it - a lot! Maybe when they notice sales dropping, they may listen. Maybe not. They have a following of many strata. I believe some would buy their products if they flew backwards! Don't get me wrong - I do own many, many, many of their planes. They are some of the nicest (less a few bugs here and there) ever made. However, they need to listen to the consumers. A good business is customer driven, not the other way around.

Don

People have been complaining about their paintkits for over 10yrs and nothing has changed

We all know what the templates or paintkits are like but Every single careando or alabeo thread there is always people whinging about paintkits and its getting long in the tooth to read

How about instead of complaining here, email directly if you think complaining will fix it

I suspect Alabeo's modelling team doesn't know much about mapping the traditional way or hasn't the time to spend on it. Using automatic unwrappers like Pelt together with directly painting the model in Substance Painter or suchlike gives a quick and very dirty solution for FS textures: save as .dds and thank you ma'am. The result is a texture or textures, not what most repainters would call a paintkit.

Other developers produce a layered, labelled Photoshop file with lettering, dirt, livery lines etc on separate layers so repainters can edit as much or as little as they please. Unlike the pelt-unwrapped method the individual parts and areas are easily identified and the whole thing can look like a 3-view drawing of the aircraft. That's worthy of the name paintkit.

Maybe the Dornier will be different. We can only hope.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    People have been complaining about their paintkits for over 10yrs and nothing has changed

We all know what the templates or paintkits are like but Every single careando or alabeo thread there is always people whinging about paintkits and its getting long in the tooth to read

How about instead of complaining here, email directly if you think complaining will fix it
    What you insist on ignoring is the point we're all making in the CHANGE of their mapping from simply flat white aircraft textures mapped in the usual way (pre 337) to post 337 mapping, which is shrunk, rotated, twisted, and opened up like an apple skin (pelt mapping technique)

Their technique changed, I suspect due to a shift from regular texture techniques to an automated system to allow them to increase output.

Great, but it simply means the one redeeming feature, regular mapping on the flat white aircraft is now gone. A flat aircraft can be painted merrily.

One that is twisted and warped you yourself must admit is a sodding pig to work with.

Feel free to sit here and support them all you wish, nonchalantly dismissing anything anyone here says to make yourself feel like a superior repainter, but As someone that works in this crap, it is LAZY, and unnecessary. With their prices going up and quality of product staying fairly plateaued, in fact, the texture mapping quality has taken a nose dive as they switched production technique.

I like their aircraft, I really do. I think they make some awesome ones, this one is the same... can't wait for a decent DO228.

It's still going to have an utterly f***ed up set of base texture mapping making custom paints take hours longer than it should.

Members who have read this thread: 1