VFR Simulations Cessna 170B Project update thread. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFR Simulations Cessna 170B Project update thread.

Ryan,

Wow, excellent looking bird right there. That is a more rare Lycoming O-320 conversion. (Smaller 4). With constant speed prop. Probably offers 15-20hp advantage over the stock engine, and you are right, it fits nicely. It would be a carbureted engine, as you can see it retains the sheet-metal 'box' or scoop under the cowling, as the original did. Not as many people did this conversion, as with the added cost, most would spend a bit more and vouch for the 180hp. I notice the Sportsman STOL is installed on that 170 as well. Nice setup.

Tire options will be 6x6, 7x6, and 8x6 on the smaller end, with possibly 26", and at least 29" and 31" Bush tires. So 5-6 options, plus another tailwheel. At least three sets of gear legs. From the earlier, more squishy gear, to the mid-range and much desired 'Lady leg', and finally a stiffer C-180 gear leg. A couple floats as well. No intention of Ski's at the moment, as there just isn't any way that I can see of really getting a handle on properly simulating snow.

The pre-order is significantly discounted. It is set-up more or less as a means of some of our supporters contributing during the development process.

Best,
    - Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Thanks for the update Joseph. It is appreciated and looking good. Can't wait for the finished product.

At last - an update ! ...thank you Joseph, sounds excellent. Looking forward to the release

Coming along very nicely. I really like the SOLO concept, as opposed to being locked into a single model. Just came aboard with a pre-purchase. The community needs new blood.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

He definitely has a nice setup. No expenses spared. That plane gets out of some crazy places. I'll have to see if I can convince my dad to let me throw more money at FSX
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

http://gac16.blogspot.com/

Check out my sceneries here on SOH

Just a little word of update.

A few milestones reached this week, with the 3d mesh.

1.) Rigging all of the control surfaces.
    Including building the aileron hinges, flap tracks, elevators. And setting each up for the correct animations.

2.) Completed the interior shell with provisions for multiple interior options, and extended baggage compartment.

3.) Corrected under-side of the fuselage to newly acquired measurements. (Needless to say, I was off by about 2" previously).

The exterior model is 95% complete, and marked for UV mapping. We're shooting for around 1,000,000 polys with the finished model, with virtually no noticeable performance impact. (Our test-bed model is around 500,000 polys, with multiple animations plus Diffuse, Specular, and Bump texture vertices and it is working flawlessly with very little VAS usage). I intend to keep the aircraft hardware friendly, without sacrificing detail. Every aspect of the mesh has been designed around accommodating this.

I'm finishing out little details that are options, such as fairing, gear legs, and propellers. I should be working toward doing the layout of the final Paintkit by sometime next week, which will include drawing the Normal maps. At which point I will shift my focus almost entirely into the instruments and VC. At some point the 3d mesh for the Continental C-145 engine, and the Lycoming IO-360 will then both be fitted.

Not a whole lot to show, but thought I'd attach a couple from this week's work.

- Joseph

VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Any news?

@fsxar177: It's been a while!

Any news about the Cessna 170 we paid for?

wow - he's been taking pre-orders since 2015 !!

at $20.00 a clip I wonder what that netted?

How much has Dino put out since 2015?? or Lionheart?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I wonder what happened to them? Sounds like he was nearly finished.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I wonder what happened to them? Sounds like he was nearly finished.
    Taking orders for 5 years for an airplane he heralded as basically unlike any other ever built. . .far ahead of anything available for flightsim. . . .unless he passed away unexpectedly or was hit with some other personal tragedy that he has never been able to recover from (and those are certainly real possibilities) then he took a lot of very trusting people to the cleaners, with nary an explanation as to why.

If someone in this community knows what has happened to him or his airplane (no conjectures or assumptions please) it would be nice if they came forward and at least gave some resemblance of an update. . .if at all possible.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Taking orders for 5 years for an airplane he heralded as basically unlike any other ever built. . .far ahead of anything available for flightsim. . . .unless he passed away unexpectedly or was hit with some other personal tragedy that he has never been able to recover from (and those are certainly real possibilities) then he took a lot of very trusting people to the cleaners, with nary an explanation as to why.

If someone in this community knows what has happened to him or his airplane (no conjectures or assumptions please) it would be nice if they came forward and at least gave some resemblance of an update. . .if at all possible.
    I know that he recently had his first child. So life may have caught up with him in a big way. lots of new variables that one may have not planned for with that bundle of joy.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Worth noting also that over the past five years, the bar has been raised a lot for flightsim development. What was a groundbreaking feature set five years ago won't past muster today. As a result, development times have gotten much longer, even for established developers. And for a lot of solo practitioners, it's got to be a struggle - look at Marcel Felde, who delivered a couple of truly remarkable products, but had to call it quits on his Pilatus Porter. So I can easily see somebody, especially a first-timer, getting into a project with the best of intentions, and then drowning in it. As for the cost, I'm out $20, but I'd hardly call that being taken to the cleaners - it's more like a very small risk that I took with my eyes open, and that led to a very small loss (assuming the project doesn't come off). But I agree it would have been better if he'd given us some news, even if it's bad news. Failure happens but it's better if you own it.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Members who have read this thread: 0