Tim 'Piglet' Conrad

Thread: Tim 'Piglet' Conrad

Tim 'Piglet' Conrad

I thought this needs a search , 'Piglets Peculiar's' was the cockpit tag ... as the Ozzie tourist advert would say "Where the bloody Hell are ya"

Just shows how quick one aircraft type is quickly forgotten , come to think ... WHERE THE BLOODY HELL IS TIM ! .. If I disappear for a few days I get half the country looking for me ... knocking on the door, phone calls .... Surely Tim cannot have a top secret hiding place and No one Knows who he is ! , come on boys time for a search party!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    . . . . . . .If I disappear for a few days I get half the country looking for me. . .knocking on the door, phone calls. . . .Surely Tim cannot have a top secret hiding place and no one Knows who he is! Come on boys time for a search party!
    If you're talking about being gone from the Forum for that long (or longer) it certainly has a lot to do with who you are. A lot of folks come and go and most are none the wiser for their absence. I've been gone for weeks and no one knew it or cared really. But to be fair. . .many of us fall short of being Tim "piglet" Conrad. How many of us don't have at least a few of Tim's airplanes in our hangar. . .or more. Tim had the ability to produce some terrific aircraft with beautiful detail inside and out at a seemingly staggering pace and was working on some that we anticipated when he left.

I'd like to think that he's much happier away from all this. It would be nice to hear from him personally, just to know what he's up to now and if he's ok. Come back to this though. . .why would he, lol. . ."is it done yet, is it done yet. . .I'd really like to see this airplane but not this model. . .the other one that had that intake vent on the left side just under the cowling. . .my father/son/wife/acquaintance used to work on that one and that's the one I'd like you to do for me. . . ."

I don't think he needs to be found. . .he already knows where he is and I hope he's happy doing whatever he's doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I don't think he needs to be found. . .he already knows where he is and I hope he's happy doing whatever he's doing now.
    I could almost imagine the theme where Tim is standing , think just such a potent force , dose have a legacy that will never be forgotten, I simply thought he must have a next-door neighbour to stop in and say OI you , you Ok

When I last spoke with him, he had re-discovered life away from the virtual; the real one. He decided to spend more time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    I could almost imagine the theme where Tim is standing , think just such a potent force , dose have a legacy that will never be forgotten, I simply thought he must have a next-door neighbor to stop in and say OI you , you Ok
    Right. . .don't even know anything about Tim away from here. Where he's from, what he did outside of FlightSim, what his everyday world was like.

Right. . .don't even know anything about Tim away from here. Where he's from, what he did outside of FlightSim, what his everyday world was like.
    I think that could be said for everyone..you have FS forums and you have TV, course you also have fishing but I got seriously board of that

Gone but certainly not forgotten....coincidentally I'm in the midst of a 4096 rework of Tim's Tucano Paintkit....just now messing with the spec for a metal ver...

Tim's models are great for painting [I'd already done the same for the Avenger II in 4096] ...

I'd like to think that he's much happier away from all this. It would be nice to hear from him personally, just to know what he's up to now and if he's ok. Come back to this though. . .why would he, lol. . ."is it done yet, is it done yet. . .I'd really like to see this airplane but not this model. . .the other one that had that intake vent on the left side just under the cowling. . .my father/son/wife/acquaintance used to work on that one and that's the one I'd like you to do for me. . . ."
    You have a very good point there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    When I last spoke with him, he had re-discovered life away from the virtual; the real one. He decided to spend more time there.
    Something more people should do.
    Really nice metal there Jafo, Tim would like that!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I have way more payware aircraft in my hangar than freeware types. Despite that "competition", I still fly some of Tims releases all the time. His models are of a great visual quality, quite precise and I never experienced any quirks with them. Fantastic work.

Thanks to newer state-of-the-art sim techniques like FSX DX10 / P3D or addons like Accufeel, these rather older models shine and feel in a way today which was unseen back in the days when he designed them. I really hope he has the chance to get a glimpse at where we are today with our sims and how his great creations look even better these days.

I hope he comes back some day and re-joins the fs crowd.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Well said Mark .. @ Jafo .. wicked paint that gorgeous model suited it !

I've been gone for weeks and no one knew it or cared really.
    OH, that's not quite correct !! Some of us knew exactly where you where - maybe not quite what you where doing tho !!!

Some of us have gotten to the point we even look forward to hearing from you on a daily basis just to see what 'adventure' you've fallen into for the day !!!

Sooooo there !!!

Tim Conrad created very nice models, which in most cases would never had been done. In the past I had some e-mail exchange with him, which I still consider valuable. He sometimes could be as peculiar as his models, but I always enjoyed to write with him.

I still fly a lot of his models as I consider them real fun. They are easy to fly and still look brilliant. Personally I love his approach; "what is see is hat you get". Nothing complex but very straight forward, which is most probably why they never had any bugs.
    Some are getting bit dated now, but with some new paint the still look brilliant!

For those who don't know Tim Conrad, here in old interview which you can find at Flightsim.com.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conten...paign=sitelink

As Tim can always rejoin the FScommunity I assume it is his own choice not to do so. Please respect this choice.

Cheers,
    Huub

I feel that we can apply undue pressure on some contributors to the hobby we all enjoy. I know of several people on here who did very intensive activity with Flight Simulation projects, often giving us their work as Freeware. They have, in some instances, burned themselves out. They have had to cease their Flight Simulation activities, or at least take a break, to recover and get on with their normal lives. We should allow them time to themselves and not pressure them to complete projects for us. If they are able or want to come back here let them do it in their own time. Just my personal opinion.

Tim's one of the few I've chased up via email...for permission to mod/release his Avenger II paintkit ....and looks like I'll need to find him again soonish... as this one's well on the way to being done...

... in 4096 HD.

Edit....yes, still got the accent thingy wrong...should be on the 'C' [since fixed].

i know people say leave him alone,but even though he and i werent "friends",i liked the guy alot,but im very guilty of the pestering thing...i would ask,on certin projects,if he was going to do a fire retardant airtanker....he put me in my place one day,i dont recall the words he used...but it made me laugh ,as i said,he really put me in my place,letting mme know he was unhappy with the question,but he was also polite about it and somewhat humorous way....made me like the guy much much more.i do wish he would come back just to say hi to us all who ...well worry when people leave.like Falcon409...i missed him...well several times,i think my gun sight was out of calibration........hehehehe i did notice you werent around,but thought you may have been in the CFS forum area...

now im the sorta guy people just dont miss....i spent 9 days in the hospital with a skin graft deal....not a single welcome back when i got home....and last year 8 days in the horsepital for congestive heart failure that nearly killed me...and nuthin......i had to tell people i was gone and sick.........

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    . . . . . .now I'm the sorta guy people just don't miss....i spent 9 days in the hospital with a skin graft deal....not a single welcome back when i got home....and last year 8 days in the horsepital for congestive heart failure that nearly killed me...and nuthin......i had to tell people i was gone and sick.........
    Honestly Daveroo most of us here in the Forums (the average Joe's if you will) come and go on a daily basis and unless we advertise the fact that we're going to be gone for whatever reason, there's no reason anyone should suddenly start a thread wondering where we are. It's different for folks like Tim and some other developers because they are/were regular contributors and Tim always seemed to be working on his "next" model. People anticipated whatever Tim's next "peculiar" aircraft was going to be and when he wasn't posting anything folks were wondering why. Developers stand out because of what they do and when they disappear, or take a break it's a cause for some alarm or mild panic, lol.

Developers (freeware and payware) open themselves up to a lot of scrutiny once they start posting WIP shots. Most of it is constructive and we see what they're up against on a daily basis here in the forums. There is also e-mail and PM's and there are folks who feel they're entitled to demand or expect certain considerations from developers because of some position they used to hold and they use those behind the scenes methods to "tell the developers" what they expect. A few that I know have told me some of the crazy e-mails and PM's they've gotten and people can be downright rude.

So Piglet finally had enough. He obviously doesn't need this rat race anymore and I wish him well. I wish he was still around and I wish he could pick up where he left off, but I wish him well with his life as a free man, lol.

"So Piglet finally had enough. He obviously doesn't need this rat race anymore and I wish him well. I wish he was still around and I wish he could pick up where he left off, but I wish him well with his life as a free man, lol."

Well said! Seconded by me.

Icon2

I still fly a lot of Tim's airplanes. I'm presently using his A29 Tucano as my flyable and static aircraft in my Moody Airbase install. Never could get it to fly properly as AI so I'm using Mark Grigg's AI Super Tucano for that purpose. I see on another thread that some repaints of this aircraft are being done.

RD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a292.jpg   A29.jpg  

I certainly don't pop in here very much, and like Daveroo says, I'm the sort of bloke folks don't miss around here... but I'm good with that. But when I do occasionally boot up FSX, I enjoy flying Tim's superb A1 Skyraider. The Tucano is nice too, but I'm much more at home in the big "Sandy". BTW I have ALL of Tim's FS9 models.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Every time I see a post pop up titled "Piglet", I hope for good news that perhaps he's come back to the game but by now, I've come to feel & realize that's unlikely. Personally, I really just wish he'd say hello and that he's doing fine or if someone directly spoke to him and we all could know he is fine/safe. I keep many of his models too, especially the AN-32.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, Berkely Breathed is now doing Bloom County again after a 30-year break, so who knows, maybe Tim will come back refreshed and build a few more peculiar planes someday. I'd certainly love to see it!

The few whiney bad egg rivet counters in the flight sim world can get tiring to deal with. And forum drama sucks too. But all of that was a long time ago and I'd love to see Tim back.

Icon5 Mooney Mite 18C

And all I wanted to ask Tim was why the entire tail of the Mite moves with the flaps???

It may be the way it's supposed to work but I haven't found any documentation about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Airman View Post
    And all I wanted to ask Tim was why the entire tail of the Mite moves with the flaps???

It may be the way it's supposed to work but I haven't found any documentation about it.
    Yes, it was an ease of use/safety feature. When you lower the flaps on a wing you change the pitching moment of the wing and have to change the elevator trim to compensate. So the Mite uses an interlink to change the alpha of the tail for the higher required control power with the extension of the flaps making it easier and safer to operate.

I've always wondered what happened to him. I'm still relatively new to the sim hobby in general but found his planes rather quickly and have quite a few! I love the diversity and odd subject matter (some original like the Sus Scruffa! I think that would make a neat homebuilt in the real world!) and am amazed at how fast he put them out. I even have the Cylon Raider and Colonial Viper just because! (I even like the attention to detail where "dog treats" was changed to "Cylon nuts" or "Dagget kibble" int the Raider and Viper!) Also the humor built in to some such as the "boom/kapow" setting for the missile select switch in the OV-10! Thanks for the cool planes and the fun if you ever see this!!

Members who have read this thread: 7