Strange weather today

Thread: Strange weather today

Strange weather today

At KATW. Using real weather. A very low pressure reading. So low I could not set the altimeter low enough on several aircraft. Airport elevation is about 900ft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-10-13_15-54-48-755.jpg  

Looks like the METAR reported for KATW today at 1345Z had erroneous data: KATW 131345Z 29018G23KT 10SM BKN020 09/05 A2062

Edit: How were the flight characteristics for your flight? Given the METAR reported altimeter setting (20.62 inHg), the pressure altitude should've been 9300 ft + field elevation (918 ft at KATW). Did it seem like you were flying at 10,200 ft?
    Last edited by orionll; October 13th, 2015 at 19:20.

Flights characteristics were normal, just the higher altimeter reading. I went up to 3-4000ft from the shift z data. Once close to OSH, the pressure read more normal.

Adding. I took up the A2A182 and did act like being at 4000ft.

Erroneous would be a good bet...

"The lowest non-tornadic atmospheric pressure ever measured was 870 hPa (25.69 inHg), set on 12 October 1979, during Typhoon Tip in the western Pacific Ocean."

Now, it's possible there was a tornado over the airport but in that case the winds would be a lot higher than reported, so best guess is a typo in the source report.

The alternative is to set the altimeter to show field elevation for departure and then correct it once information is available.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Was unable to set the altimeter any lower on several aircraft. Maybe a gauge limit? Interesting that the shift z data shows the correct altitude. Also the AI had no problems with this.
    All back to normal readings today.

Members who have read this thread: 0