Changing aircraft loses paint ETO V1.50

Thread: Changing aircraft loses paint ETO V1.50

Changing aircraft loses paint ETO V1.50

Video detail set to max (5) on all categories. When I start cfs3 ETO, all is fine. Good detail and flight is good, no stutter or anything.
    When I change to most planes, they come in as mostly blue or maybe with some white panels with writing on them. I've even had some shiny panels with reflections in them.
    If I change the aircraft detail to 1, the paint comes back. I can then go back to aircraft detail 5 and everything works fine. I can also switch to detail 1, but not detail 2,3, or 4, before changing planes and they come in painted.
    Is this normal or can I do something to fix it? My vanilla CFS3 does not do this.

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi mcbob, do you want to post a copy of the text in your configoverrides file, the one from your applicaiton data pathway?

I think this is what you want.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<Config>

<FileVersion val="60"/>

<Adapter val="0"/>

<Device val="0"/>

<Mode val="29"/>

<MultisampleType val="D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE"/>

<VendorId val="4318"/>

<DeviceId val="4546"/>

<VersionNumberLowPart val="857818"/>

<VersionNumberHighPart val="655378"/>

-<TextureLimits>

<aircraftmodels MaxDim="1024" Scale="0"/>

<compositeterrain MaxDim="0" Scale="0"/>

<compositeterrainsource MaxDim="0" Scale="0"/>

<effects MaxDim="256" Scale="0"/>

<hud MaxDim="0" Scale="0"/>

<nonaircraftmodels MaxDim="0" Scale="0"/>

<precompiledterrain MaxDim="0" Scale="0"/>

<shadows MaxDim="512" Scale="0"/>

<ui MaxDim="0" Scale="0"/>

<uncategorized MaxDim="0" Scale="0"/>

</TextureLimits>

-<ConfigOverrides>

<DisableWarningBoxes val="n"/>

<DisableSound val="n"/>

<DisableIntroMovie val="n"/>

<DisableMovieUI val="n"/>

<DisableUIAnimations val="n"/>

<SafeMode val="n"/>

<NoDXT1 val="n"/>

<NoDXT3 val="n"/>

<NoDXT5 val="n"/>

<DisableIndexBuffers val="n"/>

<DisableVertexBuffers val="n"/>

<Disable1600x1200 val="n"/>

<Disable1280x1024 val="n"/>

<Disable1024x768 val="n"/>

<DualPassRender val="y"/>

<HighResolutionZBuffer val="n"/>

<TerrainDetailTexture val="y"/>

<DisableWindowed val="n"/>

<DisableValidateDevice val="y"/>

<DisableWriteOnlyVB val="n"/>

<DisableWriteOnlyIB val="n"/>

<DisableTriangleStrips val="n"/>

<UnsupportedHardware val="n"/>

<UnsupportedDriver val="n"/>

<DisableCompositeTerrainTextureMips val="n"/>

<DisableCompositeTerrainTextures val="n"/>

<DisableCompositeGroundPlaneTextures val="n"/>

<DisableCompositeAircraftTextures val="n"/>

<DisableScenery val="n"/>

<DisableEnvironmentMapping val="n"/>

<DisableShadows val="n"/>

<DisableWhiteOut val="n"/>

<DisableTerrainLighting val="n"/>

<DisableSceneryLighting val="n"/>

<DisableSun val="n"/>

<DisableStars val="n"/>

<DisableRenderText val="n"/>

<DisableLabels val="n"/>

<DisableTacticalDisplay val="n"/>

<DisableTargetCone val="n"/>

<DisableHUD val="n"/>

<DisableChat val="n"/>

<DisableAdvisor val="n"/>

<DisableSimWarnings val="n"/>

<DisableTimeCompress val="n"/>

<DisableWeather val="n"/>

<DisableClouds val="n"/>

<DisableBlendToOffscreen val="n"/>

<DisableClear val="n"/>

<DisableTerrainRender val="n"/>

<DisableTerrainUpdate val="n"/>

<DisableSceneDBRender val="n"/>

<DisableWaterRender val="n"/>

<DisableWaterShorelineRender val="n"/>

<DisableWaterReflectionRender val="n"/>

<DisableWaterAnimationRender val="n"/>

<DisableTerrainTextureRingBlend val="n"/>

<DisableFog val="n"/>

<DisableRain val="n"/>

<DisableTexturedAlphaMaterial val="n"/>

<DisableShellCasings val="n"/>

<DisableTerrainDiffuseLighting val="n"/>

<DisableTerrainDecalRender val="n"/>

<DisableVCFog val="n"/>

<DisableInCloudEffect val="n"/>

<DisablePropDiscs val="n"/>

<CompositeAircraftTextureBudget val="8192"/>

<CompositeAircraftTextureMaxDim val="1024"/>

<CompositeAircraftTexturePool val="D3DPOOL_DEFAULT"/>

<CompositeAircraftTextureUsage val="0"/>

<CompositeTerrainTextureBudget val="Five"/>

<VertexBufferPool val="D3DPOOL_DEFAULT"/>

<IndexBufferPool val="D3DPOOL_DEFAULT"/>

<PreCompiledTerrainTextureBudget val="four"/>

<UserShadowTextureBudget val="1"/>

<AIShadowTextureBudget val="10"/>

<ObjectShadowTextureBudget val="250"/>

<UserShadowSize val="512"/>

<AIShadowSize val="256"/>

<ObjectShadowSize val="256"/>

<MaxParticles val="5000"/>

<ZBiasBitsResolution val="15"/>

<ZBiasTerrainDecal val="0"/>

<ZBiasWaterPolyNear val="1"/>

<ZBiasWaterPolyFar val="0"/>

<ZBiasWaterLineNear val="1"/>

<ZBiasWaterLineFar val="0"/>

<ZBiasFlatEffects val="25"/>

<ZBiasShadow val="0"/>

<ZBiasTerrainAlphaNear val="0"/>

<ZBiasTerrainAlphaFar val="0"/>

<ZBiasObject val="0"/>

<ZBiasObjectFar val="0"/>

<ZBiasEffects val="1"/>

<ZBiasClouds val="1"/>

<TerrainVertexBufferCapacity val="16384"/>

<TerrainIndexBufferCapacity val="32768"/>

<VertexCacheSize val="15"/>

<BackClipDist val="128748"/>

<InteriorWaterLoadingFactor val="0.800000011920929"/>

<WaterDetailTextureSize val="5"/>

<WaterElevationBias val="4"/>

<WaterElevationBiasFactor val="0.5"/>

<NearPassBackClipDist val="13200"/>

<FarPassNearClipDist val="13000"/>

<FogStartDist val="128748"/>

<CloudScale val="10"/>

<TerrainBestImageQuality val="0"/>

<MaxLandClassVariations val="0"/>

<TerrainMaxBlenderInstPerFrameNear val="256"/>

<TerrainMaxBlenderInstPerFrameFar val="128"/>

<SceneryTriangleBudget val="five"/>

<TerrainTriangleBudget val="five"/>

<MaxModelLOD val="100"/>

<FullscreenSwapEffect val="D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD"/>

<CompositeTerrainTexturePool val="D3DPOOL_DEFAULT"/>

<CompositeTerrainTextureUsage val="0"/>

<TextMaxTextures val="0"/>

<OverallGraphicDetail val="5"/>

<AircraftDetail val="5"/>

<SceneryDetail val="5"/>

<TerrainDetail val="5"/>

<EffectsQuality val="5"/>

<CloudsQuality val="5"/>

</ConfigOverrides>

</Config>

Try

<DualPassRender val="n"/>

<HighResolutionZBuffer val="y"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

That didn't cure it. Some of the bombers still come in alright, but most of the planes do not.

What does the text on the skin say? It may give us a hint as to what's being displayed instead of what should be displayed.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The text is from the aircraft selection list that's open on that screen.
    Sending a screenshot. Hope it comes out ok as I have never sent one to a forum before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plane1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    The text is from the aircraft selection list that's open on that screen.
    Sending a screenshot. Hope it comes out ok as I have never sent one to a forum before.
    That picture is perfect, and wow, that's a new problem that I've never seen before.

Video Card?
    Drivers?
    Shader Mods?
    Win 10?

I realize that you're not having a problem with the base install of CFS3, so those should not be the source of the problem, but who knows.

How did you create the ETO install? Perhaps Multi-CFS3 has messed up the ETO directory locations, and the game can't find your texture files, so it's using whatever it can find.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Looks like some screenshot/screen capture got muddled up with the model textures, but wow! As a matter of interest, at Aircraft Detail 1 you'll never see the full resolution of the model. Can't imagine why you'd want that unless your rig is even older than mine (slider at 5 all the time here.)

Ah. When did you last clean the crud from your video card? All the dust, lint, dead spiders, hair etc that gathers in there out of sight and out of mind...?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi, for your configoverrides (the one in your Appdata pathway not the root folder of CFS3)
    try:
    change <TextureLimits>

<aircraftmodels MaxDim="1024" Scale="0"/> to

<aircraftmodels MaxDim="4096" Scale="0"/>

change <DualPassRender val="y"/>

<HighResolutionZBuffer val="n"/> to

<DualPassRender val="n"/>

<HighResolutionZBuffer val="y"/>

change <CompositeAircraftTextureMaxDim val="1024"/> to

<CompositeAircraftTextureMaxDim val="4096"/>

I do not use these settings: <VertexBufferPool val="D3DPOOL_DEFAULT"/>

<IndexBufferPool val="D3DPOOL_DEFAULT"/>

But I don't remember which ones I use. I also use different zbias settings.

Try changing <MaxModelLOD val="100"/> to

<MaxModelLOD val="250"/>

Most of these entries are only designed to improve aircraft textures.

The Dual Pass Render is a known bug config often tries to reset this back to "Y". Better to enable the high res z buffer as set out above.

Keep a backup of your original configoverrides if your system cannot handle these changes.

Cannot guarantee this is the solution to your problem, but it is worth a shot.

HTH, good luck

Answers to questions from: MajorMagee - video card - 1 year old GeForce 650 TI 2 gig
    Drivers update automatically regularly
    No shader mods, did not install ETO V1.50 shader-shine package, but sometimes, as I said, I get a shiny panel with reflections in it.
    Win7 64bit

hairyspin - Computer built a year ago, intel 4th gen I5 processor, 8 gig mem
    Case has intake filters and I clean it out every 3-6 months

Daiwilletti - Should I make all the changes at once?

SOH-CM-2020
    Daiwilletti - Should I make all the changes at once?
    Yes they increase the size of the textures able to be rendered for the aircraft models. Also unchecking dual pass render helps gameplay, reduces stuttering.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    WOW!! a mix-up of texture files.

I guessed I had see it all, since wrecking My CFS3 Installs thousands of times and re loading, in the past.
    Last time I saw anything like this is when I was learning to work with Standalone aircraft, and skins.

Getting a texture file to do what this is doing tells me there is a serious Mix up of texture files in your set up.
    without looking at your install this will be difficult to sort out..
    Mainly because this one is completely new even to me, and I have trashed CFS3 every way possible in the learning process.
    ( And still do.. OOPPS!)

Daiwilletti

I changed the configoverrides that I could figure out. You said that you don't use the VertexBufferPool or the IndexBufferPool, but didn't say to change anything on mine, so I didn't.
    All of my TextureLimits have reversed the order, so now they read Scale first then MaxDim. My std cfs3 is now like that also. I can see by the post I made before, that they were in the order you show. Does this matter? I did change to the numbers you suggested.
    MY DualPassRender had changed back to "y" but I put it back to "n".
    I ran cfs3 ETO and it still does the same crazy aircraft texture thing that I posted before.
    After, I checked the configoverrides file and the DualPassRender was still "n". Rebooted the computer and it went back to"y".

One thing I hadn't mentioned, was that after I switched planes and went to aircraft detail 1 then back to detail 5, and had normal texture, as it zooms out to the maximum distance in the flyover view, my plane changes to all brown but goes back to normal texture when it gets back to a closer view. This may be a normal detail vs distance thing.

have you try to change your video card settings to high quality?

i've similar case like this but with another game long time ago, that sometimes the texture won't show up but sometimes does..so i go to my nvidia control panel then set "texture filtering to High quality" and that solve my case
    if you have video card less than 2gb, set triple buffer to off and vertical snyc to off

Set "texture filtering to High quality", didn't seem to make any difference.
    It is a 2gb card. Triple buffer was off, so turned it on, still no difference. Too many video settings for me to know where to start.
    Unless someone comes up with some more ideas, I'll live with it for now, plus it doesn't do it for all aircraft. May reload from V1.0 some day.
    Thanks for everyone's effort.

My theory

Someone or something(virus) changed the ui textures to load on the aircraft..

uninstall, clean registry from all old game files left over

-clean install after

If that doesn't work

check to see your game is the actual version a lot of people put virus and stuff on the fakes, although it may seem to work all right, it has been tampered with.

ETO? How do I install it? Download Links? HERE Horizontal lines at menu after installing ETO? - FIX - choose a wingman, plane, then try quick mission.I found this config setup ArgonV posted at simhq, works good HERE Graphics card updates change your game settings? With error? Ankor's Shader fixes it HERE Nvidia HERE

I was reading about NEK in the readme files and it says that there is supposed to be a cswap.exe file in the ETO expansion folder. I don't have that. I do have the cswap.html file, and the NEK folder. I also don't have the two desktop shortcuts it says are there. Could this be related to the aircraft texture problem I have?

I reloaded the whole game starting with the CFS3 to V1.3a. I reloaded CFS3 ETO V1.0. There was no change, same problem as before, CFS3 works fine, ETO V1.0 has texture problems on the aircraft that were not in the original game. All the original CFS3 planes are fine on video setting 5 in ETO, just not the add-on planes.

In doing some research a couple of days ago, I saw a statement that said one of the NVIDIA settings could give a problem with "some" texture panels. I have gone back to the onboard graphics, gen 4 Intel I5. All the planes in ETO now seem to be fine, even in video quality 5. Also the intro movie now plays correctly, had no picture before, just audio. Appears to me that my files are fine, it's just in the video card settings.

The problem is, the graphics are not smooth anymore. I can't find the statement about the NVIDIA setting that might fix this.
    I would like to go back to the video card to get the fast smooth action.

Does anybody have any idea what the video setting is that I might need to change?

The major one... vsync = on will lower your fps to your monitors and slow game way down.

also i heard anti-aliasing turned on slows it down as well. I get very smooth play with this. The graphics cards when this game came out with XP didn't have all that stuff anyways. Have win98 compat mode checked with change for all users on that setting

also check out this guys in game config settings works good with me
    http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...bi#Post3607393

ETO? How do I install it? Download Links? HERE Horizontal lines at menu after installing ETO? - FIX - choose a wingman, plane, then try quick mission.I found this config setup ArgonV posted at simhq, works good HERE Graphics card updates change your game settings? With error? Ankor's Shader fixes it HERE Nvidia HERE

I have been using the on-board graphics since my last post. The aircraft textures have not gone back to my original problem at all. I recently added rudder pedals and TrackIR5. They work so good that I wanted to go back to my graphics card to get the fast video back, also a couple of times CFS3 ETO crashed when I crashed into the ground. I figured that the explosion and fire overwhelmed the on-board graphics.

I switched back to my graphics card, ran the CFS3config.exe in the ETO main folder to get it back to the video card. I had to go back and put the changes suggested here to the configoverrides file, as they had gone back to the original ETO settings.
    I fired up ETO and the aircraft texture stayed fine when I pick any plane I wanted. Flights were fine. I shut down and restarted ETO and my problem came back, missing aircraft texture panels when changing planes. I then went to The NVIDIA control panel and changed to "let the 3D application decide". ETO ran fine, no crazy aircraft panels on any plane I picked. Tried different ERA's, planes airfields and no problems. I then went back to the NVIDIA panel and under CFS3 turned up most of the settings to max. Texture problem came back. Went back to NVIDIA panel and hit reset under CFS3. Everything worked fine again. To me, this proves that it is the video card settings that caused the problem. I have since gone back and made a few changes to the NVIDIA CFS3 panel and have gotten the edge detail much smoother.

My question now, is it better to change the settings in ETO or the NVIDIA panel, or both? I don't really know what I'm doing in the ETO files, other than what you already told me about. I've been looking at some screen shots and love the ground texture detail.
    I may try to add some of those ground texture down loads. Will the NVIDIA settings I've changed mess them up?

I have now figured out the one setting in the NVIDIA control panel that causes the problem. Under "Antialiasing-Mode", if I pick "Override any application setting", the aircraft panel texture problem comes back. All the other options under this setting work fine. However, that was the only setting I have found so far that eliminates the "barber pole" (I'm not sure what the technical term is) effect on wires, flag poles etc. I've found some other settings that help but don't eliminate it, but will keep trying.

SOH-CM-2020
    I have now figured out the one setting in the NVIDIA control panel that causes the problem. Under "Antialiasing-Mode", if I pick "Override any application setting", the aircraft panel texture problem comes back. All the other options under this setting work fine. However, that was the only setting I have found so far that eliminates the "barber pole" (I'm not sure what the technical term is) effect on wires, flag poles etc. I've found some other settings that help but don't eliminate it, but will keep trying.
    Funnily enough, I got that wierd texture effect in one of my installs in the weekend. First time for years. Will report further if its a problem. Thanks for posting your solutions

Members who have read this thread: 0