Thrustmaster HOTAS Warhog

Thread: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warhog

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warhog

Has anyone been successful in getting the HOTAS Warhog to work in P3D v3?

I am running Win 10 64 bit. I have the latest drivers for the setup but P3D v3 list it as an unrecognized device and not Thrusmaster Combined.

The stick set up works perfectly in P3D v2.5.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Russ
    Many may fly and some are rewarded
    handsomely, but the wings of gold of a
    United States Naval Aviator mean more
    than flying. It is dearly bought, requires
    sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by rsgunner View Post
    Has anyone been successful in getting the HOTAS Warhog to work in P3D v3?

I am running Win 10 64 bit. I have the latest drivers for the setup but P3D v3 list it as an unrecognized device and not Thrusmaster Combined.

The stick set up works perfectly in P3D v2.5.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Russ
    Hi RSgunner

Mine is working fine in V3.

Are you using the latest FSUIPC for your axes, And have you deleted all the settings inside the P3D for your controls ?

Soren

Mine is also working in P3D V3, however, I didn't install any drivers. I let Win7/64 take care of that. And I have the latest FSUIPC.

HTH
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Yes and no issues here

My Warthog works just fine. I moved on to W10 and have not installed any TM software. In P3Dv3, controllers are not enabled and all calibration and programming is by FSUIPC.

As a last thought, all assignment of axes, buttons and switches are also deleted.
    Best regards,
    Jim T.
    USAF ret. ECM (Old Crow)

Blog Entries
    Russ, I've had a similar problem, it's not P3D, it's Windows 10 I think. You need to Google Thrustmaster Bootloader problems. I fowwowed the advice, but had to do it in safe mode.

Ian

ps. The Bootloader fix is on Thrustmasters site here:
    http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00140.pdf

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I have FSUIPC installed but my knowledge on how to use it is nil.

I tried to make the changes but nothing changed.

LM has posted on their forum they are taking a look at it.

Russ

Blog Entries
    Russ, have you tried the Bootloader process in Safe mode? I'm pretty sure it's a W10 issue.

Ian

Ian

I got the bootloader process to show up in the device manger but it changed to HID after reboot.

Russ

Blog Entries
    Russ, I think you need to try several times before it works. Is it both the stick and throttle that aren't working? On mine it was just the stick that was having a problem, but it it's both I'd run the process one module at a time.
    I wouldn't bother with Thrustmaster's support, it took them exactly 3 weeks to reply to me, and then they asked me for proof of purchase before they'd help! I've had the stick for 2 or 3 years!

Here's a copy of a conversation I found on Avsim regarding those problems. I'm sorry if it's a bit difficult to read, I copied all the text from the post and saved it in notepad for future reference. and I've tried, but I can't find the original post on Avsim:

"I am a new warthog owner and I've done a lot of research on TM problems. I recently had to replace my desktop due to a lightning strike in the home. My new machine has an ASUS X99. At the same time I went from CH to Warthog Hotas. I could not get the new computer to boot with TM plugged in, or for that matter anything more that a mouse. After a couple of calls to IBuyPower (where purchased) tech support I updated the Bios on the MB and most of my problems went away. I also had to run a program to find unrecognized devices to update their drivers to fix some problems in Device Manager.
    The long and short is now everything is working mostly fine...a few little boot glitches every once in a while.
    I found this post from a few years ago and have saved it for future use just in case.

Warthog on Asus x99
    Hello. I have been having real problems with my Warthog, and indeed my MFDs after a major computer update. I now seem to have solved them, with the help of Thrustmaster Technical Department. I want to outline what worked for me so any other poor bugger having the same problems has a head start in solving them.
    The Problem. I upgraded to an Asus x99 Deluxe motherboard and SLI 980s ect. I also went from Win 7 to Win 8.1 64 bit. As you may know, the new motherboard had predominantly USB 3 slots, and as you probably won't know, Win 8.1 introduced a new way of managing power to these USB ports. Both facts are relevant, as it turned out.
    The Symptoms. The computer suddenly became unstable when it booted up with the USB peripherals attached. In particular, Win would not recognise my Warthog joystick: it was listed as a 'Bootloader', and to make matters worse, when I tried to update the firmware, it would not load, and consistently failed at step 2 with the error message of 0x0000000c. I ended up with both my joystick and throttle without any firmware at all, and always being listed as Bootloader when I attached the cables into the USB slots. So..unstable computer that hung randomly on loading, and Warthog throttle and joystick not working.
    What I Tried. I first unloaded everything to do with the Warthog, re downloaded all the latest drivers and tried to reload drivers. No good; did not work. Then I followed the Thrustmaster advice on their website to 'wake up' Bootloader joysticks. I followed the instructions to the letter; this did NOT work, no matter how many times I followed it. Next, I tried setting up the Warthog on a seperate, older machine, with only USB 2 ports. No good. Did not work either; the firmware update kept failing at step 2 with error 0x0000000c. I was in despair.
    What Finally Worked For Me. I sent an email, in my despair, to TM support. In the meantime, I trawled the web. There was ONE post on the SimHQ website, just one, about a guy complaining about Win nit booting properly with a Warthog attached. The solution was to go into the BIOS to disable something called xHCI mode in the USB configuration settings. The guy disabled the xHCI mode and it sorted the problem. Upon doing research, I discovered that Intel xHCI controlled the USB ports: xHCI equalled having the USB ports active. Turn it off, and the ports reverted to USB 2. So the problem had something to do with peripherals, especially the Warthog HOTAS, being plugged into this Intel controlled xHCI USB 3 ports. Something was not gelling. So what I tried was to turn off in my BIOS the xHCI mode, then reloaded the Warthog drivers, following the prompts, and IT ALL WORKED! Especially, the firmware updated with no problems. My HOTAS was with firmware again, and recognised by the computer again, and working. I then turned the xHCI back to enabled again, and the settings stayed, and the HOTAS was still ok. I might point out here that I had it plugged into USB 3 ports; putting it into the USB 2 ports did not help when it was playing up.
    The second thing I did related to the way Win 8.1 managed the power settings of the USB ports. There was a work around in the TM message to me that dealt with apparent problems that this new power management arrangemnet of the USB ports that Win 8.1 used. Microsoft has acknowledged that the way Win 8.1 manages the ports has caused lots of compatibility y problems with USB devices. Apparently, the new power arrangement turns power off to the device when Windows thinks it is sleeping or not active. This causes problems, loading, disconnecting and reloading devices to the computer seemingly randomly. It was particularly evident when I attached the TM MFDs. They flicked on and off constantly, flashing lights and causing the computer to bleep constantly, and generally have a heart attack. What I did was to go into device manager, and located the HID device of game controller, click on it, go to device details and find the device path in the registry. I copied the HID/PID unique numerical line, opened Regedit, found the appropriate line under Current, System, Enum, USB, and then TURNED OFF a thing called EnhancedPowerManagement by setting the string entry to 0. This stopped Windows from managing the power of devices attached through the problematic USB ports. Microsoft has a detailed set of instructions on their site to specifically allow people to use this workaround to deal with problematic USB devices. It absolutely worked; the computer became more stable and the MFDs stopped disconnecting, and now behave themselves. I have yet to get to the bottom of the Intel xHCI thingy, but there is a problem I think with the way it relates on newer motherboards and legacy USB devices, which is what all of us have.
    Conclusion. What did I learn? The way Win 8.1 mangers power to the USB ports, especially USB 3 ports, is problematic and causes problems with devices, such as Warthog joysticks and throttles and MFDs. (Btw, it also caused issues with my Saitek combat flight pedals.) the way to fix it was to turn off in Registry by Regedit this enhanced power management. I also switched the BIOS setting of USB configuration of Intel xHCI to Enabled from AutoSmart...after I had disabled it to fix the Warthog (which did the trick). Any instability, and I will play around with the xHCI setting in the BIOS.
    Hope this is/will be helpful to users in the future. Happy to expand on anything I wrote here."

Ian

Ian

Thanks for the information.

Off to change the BIOS setup.

Just as a backup I bought a Saitek X-55 HOTAS Rhino and if I can't get the the TM to work I will break Saitek out of the box.

Russ

My setup is a Thrustmaster Warthog as well. Having watched the LM Prepar3D forum this is what I have observed is the problem. The Joystick and Throttle are recognized when the Thrustmaster software Target is not operating. If you use "Target" you will see unrecognized hardware in the controls window. This was not the case in P3D v2.5. If you don't start Target and use FSUIPC all works perfectly. You can assign each button and axis on your joystick and throttle.

Lockheed Martin is working on the issue as they say there is an open ticket on this subject. The Warthog is not the only device issue being experienced by many. All should be fixed soon. In the meantime use FSUIPC and enjoy P3D v3.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

No joy changing BIOS.

Russ

Russ, no need to change the BIOS. If you are using the Thrustmaster Target software you can fix this. The device will remain unrecognized. If you just start P3D v3 and go to controls you will see both the Warthog Joystick and Warthog Throttle in the drop down window. You can use FSUIPC to program your Warthog from there. Lockheed Martin is aware of the problem in v3 and is working on it. The Warthog worked perfectly with Target in v2.5. Hope this helps.

Tom

If I use the TARGET software I get the unknown device in P3D V3. If I don't use TARGET I get the Joystick & Throttle as separate items.

My biggest issue is understanding all the program functions FSUIPC.

And to top it off WIN 10 runs incredibly slow on my machine and I have a high end PC.

Dumb question__ does P3D need to be running to program the stick using FSUIPC?

As you posted it worked perfectly in 2.5.

Russ

Russ, you will need to be using FSUIPC in P3D v3 to program your Warthog. I bit the bullet and programmed my entire Warthog using FSUIPC reading the manual carefully. It works perfectly. I actually set all my axis within P3D under controls. You could do the same thing using FSUIPC. I only use the button part of FSUIPC to set up my Warthog. For me it is a toss up after the setup. Target works great with v2.5 but FSUIPC works great for v3.

Looking at the LM Hardware forum, I got the suggestion there to program our Warthog using FSUIPC. The person who advised that said he has never used Target again.

Lockheed Martin is aware of the problem and has an open ticket on the Target issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0