South For The Winter - Flight 19 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: South For The Winter - Flight 19

Now into the southern tip of Chile. Quickly running out of South America to tour.

Great flight along the Argentina-Chile border last night. I was a bit concerned as at 13,000ft, I was still below the mountaintops and the performance data on the Alabeo Gee Bee says it has a 11,000ft service ceiling. But it seemed to fly okay up there.

We landed in Chile at SCOH, if you want to call mine a landing. The airfield is down in a hole and I was skimming the tree tops going downhill on the approach and ended up having to try to land at about 120kts. Landed long, thought I was going to have to try to take off again before it got slowed down enough to use the brakes. About the time I passed the end of the runway I could use 'em so I started breaking. I soon realized that if I didn't start trying to turn, I would end up in the woods so I hit the left brake and started turning at about 40kts. Almost pulled it off but when I got almost 90* into the 180 turn at 25ish kts, the wing dug into the ground and it flipped onto it's nose. But I think it'll buff right out....

Maybe I should rename it "Crashfest"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-jan-13-002.jpg   Flt 19-2016-jan-13-003.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Hey there!

Hehe, remembered to take some pictures of last nights flight. A good fun flight! LoL, the best part was Willy shooting down the runway like a drag racer, that little bugger hits the ground and goes like heck! This junket is getting close to the end, and now thinking about heading back North. If I remember, be talking to you later.

Taco

Flight 19 mugshot - 01/15/2016.

South for the Winter indeed. I think it followed us to Tierra del Fuego.

A couple of pics from last night's flight

That minor accident buffed out ok.

Tonight's flight ended for me with an electrical failure about 50nm out from our destination. I eventually decided that the generator had packed it in, which ran the battery down so nothing electric would work. But it was still flyable, so I just followed the coast north until I got to the airfield. Fortunately the spoilers, flaps and landing gear are hydraulic and still worked.

Now to go steal... er borrow a generator from somewheres..... Hmm... there's a Case tractor over there....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gbz-2016-jan-19-007.jpg   gbz-2016-jan-19-008.jpg  

Howdy All,

Here we are in Argentina heading back up to the North. This was a good flight and fun, even with Mr. Willy's problems. Looking forward to our trip down the Anazon, now you shouldn't miss any write ups we post knowing Flight 19 the darnest things could happened, and more than likely will. This also includs the flights up to the headwaters of the Anazon. So, yall stay tuned. lol.

Somewhere in the breadbasket of Argentina...

Hey everyone! Flight 19 had a very nice flight last night, and no problems recorded for a change. Moses noted we are somewhere in Argentina, but for awhile I thought we were in Kansas, the land was flat as an American Pancake! A few snaps of the P-80 that I am flying.

After we landed at Mercedes, Argentina, I went to "corrosion corner" at the airport and found this bit of German engineering. Apparently it used to belong a German immigrant who couldn't afford the parking fees so I got it dirt cheap. Needed a bit of work to make it airworthy, but it's done well with the flight tests so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-jan-23-002.jpg  

From last night's flight

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-jan-24-003.jpg  

Flew on up to someplace in Brazil. Nice flight although the wind gusts kept trying to flip us inverted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-jan-26-006.jpg   Flt 19-2016-jan-26-004.jpg   Flt 19-2016-jan-26-003.jpg  

Hey there folks,

Wow! a very nice and fun flight with Willy and his H-299, now that bugger poopies and gits. Did get a chance to try to remember how to do some formation flying, Not to bad for an old dog, at least I didn't run into him. Fell back and tried to attack using a barrel role and slipping in behind him but came to fast, hehe my old flight teacher more than likely would kick my behind for that boo-boo. lol. Cya later.

A couple of pics from tonight's flight. We switched to floaters for the trip down the Amazon. Although apparently some float better than others...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-feb-2-001.jpg   Flt 19-2016-feb-2-004.jpg  

Well the floater thing wasn't working out too well for me, so once we got into Brazil good, I swapped into a ex-Navy Grumman C-1A Trader for the flight down the river. Speaking of which Flight 19 struck again tonight. Which is what happens when I end up on point. I must have turned at the wrong tree (they all look alike in the jungle) as we landed at the wrong airfield in Colombia (SKLT) instead of one in Brazil (SBTT). There I was heading down the river and spotted the runway lights and went on in. I didn't know there were two airports close to each other on the same bank of the river here. I knew there was something wrong when I spotted a Dan-Air London jet parked next to me.

Anyway, once we get it all explained to the local military why I landed a military aircraft in their country, they might even let us go.... might...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flight 19-2016-feb-12-001.jpg   Flight 19-2016-feb-12-002.jpg   Flight 19-2016-feb-12-004.jpg   Flight 19-2016-feb-12-003.jpg  

Hey there!

just a few snaps of our flight down the Anazon River, me think, so many river inland that is hard to tell which is which, but anyway, so far it has be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Hey there!

just a few snaps of our flight down the Anazon River, me think, so many river inland that is hard to tell which is which, but anyway, so far it has be fun.
    Just a caution guys; those Mallards should have mooring lights on when sitting there idle :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Just a caution guys; those Mallards should have mooring lights on when sitting there idle :-)
    C'mon Milton... if they can't find the right country, let alone the right airport, and you expect them to figure out the requirements for lighting????

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Requirements? What's that? Next thing yall will be talking about those mythical things called manuals.

Decided to go with some light GA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBSN.jpg  

Hello,

Just one picture from our flight last night. The next flight will put us into SBBE (Belem). Just in time to make up a new flight plan for heading North.

Some recent shots from Brazil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flight 19-2016-feb-20-001.jpg   Flight 19-2016-feb-25-002.jpg   Flight 19-2016-feb-25-005.jpg  

Made it up to Trinidad/Tobago at TTCP.

Ought to be a Disney ride.... "Big Iron of the Caribbean"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flt 19-2016-mar-3-001.jpg   flt 19-2016-mar-3-002.jpg   flt 19-2016-mar-3-004.jpg  

We made it to the final destination for this trip at St Martin. A few days on the beach and we'll be ready to head out again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-mar-6-004.jpg   Flt 19-2016-mar-6-003.jpg   Flt 19-2016-mar-6-002.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1