I want to get a new PC

Thread: I want to get a new PC

I want to get a new PC

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a new desktop computer, so I'm looking to gather info on what to get to put together a good fast pc for flightsim use mainly and also for home use as well. I want to write up a list of all the components to build it and then present it to a local pc shop to do it for me. I've never put one together before and I don't have the confidence to do that.
    What kind of pcs are you flightsim guys using? And what Windows version? Graphics card? HDs? 32 bit or 64 bit?
    I'm using Fs9 mainly, but I also want to play FSX and P3D as well too.
    I use an external drive as well and will continue to use it on my new pc.
    Mark

Rather like tuning a car.
    "How fast do you want to go? How much money do you want to spend?'
    Seriously, it all depends on your budget.
    If you are looking at FSX and P3D it will cost to get a good performance.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

True Wombat it's a bit like that. I note that you've got your pc specs underneath your post.
    I'm looking for specifications that would help as a guide for running fs9 and with fsx as the benchmark and still have some room to run p3d - it doesn't necessarily have to be the latest or fastest to get the most performance with the improved technology that we've got now and have had for a while now.
    I guess looking up on the Web would help but I'm really wanting to know what specs the guys here use for flightsimming so I can get an idea of what to look for.
    Maybe I should really ask in the fsx forum.
    Edit: perhaps I could ask txnetcop - he would be able to help I think.
    Mark

Choices

There are many choices you can make. Basically, for FS9, even a Pentium 4 at 2.5 Ghz would be all you need. If you want to try FSX then a faster CPU would be the right choice. My i7 will give me 128 fps in FS9 and 30 fps (locked) in FSX Accel. The operating systems have their own quirks. I still use Win XP sp3 because I have the disks but Win 7 32 bit would suffice. The dealers are starting to re-sell rigs with Win 7 installed (they quit Win 7 after Win 8 came out-but we know what happened to that 'agenda'..). We ask: How much for the OS: The answer will be $100. Win 8? $100. Win 10? $100. (Well, more or less). So like I say, it's you choice(s) to make. You could throw you money away by buying a $8,000 PC, because FS9 and FSX do not use any of the new features offered by the Motherboard or by the CPU. So the Flight Sim software is the 'bottle neck', just so you know. That's it. Look at my specs below. $1000? Maybe less if you build it yourself. Cheers.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5770 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP3, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad (sits LEFT of Keyboard) for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed: FS2k2, FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Chuck B
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Like wombat and Chuck have said, there are a lot of variables in choosing a new rig, especially for FlightSim. Another huge one is:

"What kinds of Add Ons are you interested in using, and where are you interested in Flying?"

If you're even entertaining the thought of using something like the PMDG Triple 7, or flying out of large, congested Airports and Airspace, then you're going to need as much bang for the buck as your Wallet will allow... especially if 'FAST' is imprinted in your mind (read: FPS). Think at least 3.5 GHz CPU, 2-4 Gb Graphics Card, and a SSD (or 2) for both the OS and for FlightSim. OS? Personally, I would recommend W7 Pro or Ultimate 64 bit; it 'plays' with FlightSim and its Hardware a little better than W8.1 or W10.

If at all possible, you should try to buy all of the Components separately and build the rig yourself; it will save you $$ on Labor, and you'll have the satisfaction of having a rig you made.

Keep asking questions... the answers you get here will be much more helpful than the ones you get from the Computer store!

Alan

Thanks guys for your inputs, much appreciated.
    Alan, good question.
    I'm thinking of complex add on sceneries, air traffic, weather, aircraft, utilities, etc. For both fs9 and fsx. Obviously will have to be more than capable of running fsx with complex add-ons and with the sliders as far to the right if possible to make the most of its features.
    Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0