FSUIPC key press commands for magnetos

Thread: FSUIPC key press commands for magnetos

FSUIPC key press commands for magnetos

Like a blind pig trying to find a truffle, I stumbled around trying to set up key press commands in FSUIPC so I could do mag checks during runup. I have implemented a fair amount of FSUIPC control but it was mostly "monkey-see, monkey-do" implementation not really understanding what was happening under the hood. I have the mind and aptitude of a 19th century blacksmith not a 21st century coder. I did the **** thing and read the Advanced Users Guide but it too was way over my head.

I thought a key press like TAB+1 might be good to switch the LEFT Mag OFF. I found some good commands that I thought might work but I never hit on the right combination.

What should I have put in the "Control sent when key pressed" window? What should I specify "Control sent when main key released" window to return to BOTH mags ON after switching off the LEFT mag? The parameter window confused me as well. Was "0" off, or was "0" on. Are there more parameters than 0 and 1?

Can any of the brilliant minds on this board give me the implementation for the commands to switch mags OFF-ON-BOTH so I can do a proper runup?

Obie

Members +
    An interesting idea. Maybe also ask on the FSUIPC forum?
    http://forum.simflight.com/forum/30-...owson-modules/

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    An interesting idea. Maybe also ask on the FSUIPC forum?
    http://forum.simflight.com/forum/30-...owson-modules/
    I'm generally too thick to understand the answers given there. Pete is brilliant but sometimes I sense an impatience with those not as quick as he. I was hoping someone here had doped this out and could provide a straight answer.

Obie

Members +
    Just a thought, it may cost a little bit of time (& money).

We are using this.. http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index....roducts_id=180
    Product Description

A USB joystick interface board with simple push in wire connectors to connect buttons, potentiometers, sensors, rotary encoders and switches to a PC or Mac.
    Build your own gaming device, whether it be a flight panel, button box, pedals, joystick, robot controls and more......the list is limited by your imagination.

Also suitable for converting gameport devices or connecting real life controls to turn them into a USB device suitable to be used by almost any simulation or game software without the need of installing any drivers.

What we have done is to make up a simple switch panel box, connected by the above to the PC, & using FSUIPC key & button presses. This saves a lot of keyboard button presses & trying to remember what key does what. It gives you 30 additional buttons/switches to use, & obviously increases immersion in the sim. You can set up a button box with banks of buttons/switches to do any of the FSUIPC button presses.

Just an idea.( & VERY simple to setup) Your PC see's the board as a joystick, with many switches.

Icon4 Fsuipc - mag check

Obie,

Here you go.. 2 versions, tested on the stock 172. The first does a cycle through; OFF - RIGHT - LEFT - BOTH (NOT START) & continues to cycle on each TAB-1 push. The problem with this one is running into OFF.. A very quick TAB-1 will get the engine back running.

OFFSETS - (for other engines)
    x0892 = Eng 1
    x092A = Eng 2
    x09C2 = Eng 3
    x0A5A = Eng 4

PARAMETER - (For Offset Word Cyclic Dec)
    3/1 = decrease by 1 with 3 being the max value

0=Off, 1=right, 2=Left, 3=Both, 4=Start

VERSION 1

The second version is designed specifically for mag testing on runup. On TAB-1 it turns OFF the left magneto to check the right, on TAB-1 release it will return to BOTH. On TAB-2 it turns OFF the right mag, on TAB-2 release it will return to BOTH.

CONTROL SENT - (For other engines, parameters remain the same)
    Magneto1 Set = Eng 1
    Magneto2 Set = Eng 2
    Magneto3 Set = Eng 3
    Magneto4 Set = Eng 4

VERSION 2a - TAB-1, Left OFF, Check right mag

VERSION 2b - TAB-2, Right OFF, Check left mag

NOTE - If the modeller or gauge creator has custom code within the aircraft this, and the coding may "fight" with each other.. Nothing can be done about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TEST_RIGHT_MAG.jpg   TEST_LEFT_MAG.jpg   OFF_LEFT_RIGHT_BOTH.jpg  
    Roman

Thanks Roman!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I went with version 2 and implemented it for Singles and Twins.

It works like a champ for me. I don't have to swivel my view (no TrackIR) to look for the mag switches. I just keep looking at the tachometer and watch the RPM's drop as I short out the mags. Very cool.

Obie

PS: With "Spokes" as your screenname, any chance you are a motorcycle rider?

good job spokes...this is what this site is all about isnt it?...i believe so

Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    PS: With "Spokes" as your screenname, any chance you are a motorcycle rider?
    Yes at one time - YZ125, RM125/465, CR250/500. Now in wheelchair (hence "spokes") due to racing, still love the sport though. Still do quite a bit of mechanical repairs on bikes / ATVs / sleds etc..

Thank You Daveroo & yes, it's what it's all about.
    Roman

Members who have read this thread: 0