Isolating textures_??

Thread: Isolating textures_??

Isolating textures_??

I was wondering if there is a way (tool) to isolate which textures go with a specific model/bgl/xml file.

History: I've been enjoying the many freeware, gmax created, objects that I can place around the FS world. Some developers provide the xxx.gmax file with textures. I figured out how to install gmax and open the xxx.gmax file which tells me what textures are needed (add them in) and then do an export which gives me the mdl and xml. With this I can easily place the object with the xml and create the bgl. Voila! (proud of myself)

part 2: Some developers share the already created model/xml/bgl and textures. Usually in a bundle of many objects, thus a single texture folder that covers every mdl.
    If I want to use only one of these models and its associated texture(s) ... How can I discover and isolate only those needed textures other than trial and error?

Thanks for any help or suggestion.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

It may seem a bit odd, but you can Open the .mdl with wordpad.exe and simply search for ".bmp" to discover the file names... :gossip:
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Thank you, Bill....for the secret tip.

Simple enough. Very much appreciated.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

Members who have read this thread: 0