45 Sqn RAF B200 King Air repaint for the Flight1 B200

Thread: 45 Sqn RAF B200 King Air repaint for the Flight1 B200

45 Sqn RAF B200 King Air repaint for the Flight1 B200

This is the first ever paintjob I have ever attempted on anything, be it a payware or freeware model, so be easy on me. It was a steep learning curve...

Even though the Flight1 King Air is actually a different model, I decided to attempt to paint it in the colours of 45 Sqn RAF Cranwell. It is a simple scheme no doubt, but it took me some time to find the logos and fit things. I also could not see how to get the paintjob on the radome to work, as well as a number of the smaller items such as static wicks and antennae underneath.

Here is a picture of the current version I have. I haven't packaged it up fully so far, as I need to see how to do some minor admin stuff, like a preview image and the like...

What do you all think? Thanks to the gang of excellent painters here, whose work never ceases to amaze me and who unknowingly motivated me to stick at it...

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAF_F1_B200.jpg  
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Blog Entries
    Hey - looks pretty good!

I've actually considered getting the B200, so I'll look out for your paint, for sure. You've picked a very elegant subject, to be sure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wad12w.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	28861

A few things pop into view for me - again, just from the standpoint of constructive feedback, not nitpicking or putting you down.

* proportions of the roundels looks pretty good, as does the placement of the cheat line.

* fonts look pretty good - don't know if you have the "N" on the nosegear door - Hopefully the above pic helps.

* the dark blue looks too light/bright. Could be the monitor(s) - don't know. But all pics I've seen of that scheme show a deeper, darker, blue that's not as "hot".

* the grey cheat line looks a bit too light - in most pics, you can see a clearly different light blue/grey between the white and dark blue. this pic has a red top edge, which you can likely ignore because it doesn't seem to feature on many of these - but the pic does show the grey colour in good detail:

http://www.airfixmodelworld.com/view...le.asp?ID=8960

Name:	8960.jpg 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	28859

another shot, this time without the red top border - but showing the blue/grey cheatline:

Name:	4912426161_1b6b30e980_b.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	28860

I think it's a great first paint - and hope its the start of many more, as this hobby thrives with lots of repainters.

cheers,

dl

Cheers dl for the comments and feedback

Totally new to this game

I took the blue directly off the RAF site, which is the same colour as the roundel. I see a similar issue with British Airways repaints, the blue there appears darker in photos than the actual colour match is... Aerosoft noted this with their BAW repaints of the Airbus 318/19/20/21 series...

The font for the Royal Air Force is actually an image taken off the RAF website, I could not find the actual font used...

The grey could indeed be a touch darker, though I took that from a similar source.

I have the N's on the nosegear doors already, though thanks for pointing that one out, as it would be easily missed.

That airfix site page you linked is excellent... I wish I had found that before I started... The close-up of the nose and the gear with the D on the nosegear door illustrates the actual blue well...

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments. I had a similar post showing an earlier version of my attempt on the Flight1 forum and so far 31 views and not a single comment, but that is par for the course...

A
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Members who have read this thread: 0