L-1011 question

Thread: L-1011 question

L-1011 question

Hi All, I'm considering buying an L-1011 for FSX.Any opinions on which is the better offering Just Flight or Captain Sim?I'm wanting systems and flight model realism as well as a good VC.
    thanks
    Stan

No comparison really.
    The Captain Sim version has it.

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    No comparison really.
    The Captain Sim version has it.
    That pretty well sums it up!
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Make sure you got the version after they fixed the cargo door lock pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    Make sure you got the version after they fixed the cargo door lock pins.
    Wrong tri-holer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Wrong tri-holer.
    I thought it was the lock pins that wouldn't engage properly even though the latch handle was in the proper position. I don't know what a tri-hole is, sounds lewd to me.

Blog Entries
    I think he's referring to the other American 3-engined widebody - the DC-10. Specifically, the failed cargo door latch design that caused a dangerous but not fatal incident with American Airlines Flight 96 in 1972, and an unfortunately catastrophic fatal crash of Turkish Airlines 981 in 1974.

Specifically, in the original design, the door could be forced "shut" in such a way that the locking pins didn't engage - but to the baggage handler / operator, felt closed. In both cases, the cargo door blew off, and in the resulting decompression, severed cables to control surfaces and engines.

In the Turkish Airlines case, the pins were filed down a few mm by ground crew to ease interference on closing the cargo door. The result was that the locking pins were not properly securing the door, even though the sensor was showing closed, and 8 minutes into the flight, the door blew out, severing all control cables running aft of the door, the pilots losing all control immediately. All hands lost on that flight 72 seconds later.

Back to the CS L-1011 - it's nice - I may have to pick that one up on sale some day. Is it heavy on FPS? The CS 737 I bought last year is utterly useless to me even on my newer computer, and understand the 707 is similar. Not sure if it comes in Cathay Pacific old colours - but that'd be scheme of choice.

cheers,

dl

delta_lima, you're correct, I got them confused. There was something about the L1011 but I can't remember what.

I have no particular FPS issues on the CS L1011 and definitely not on the 707, that's an older, simpler model. I2700 OC to 4.7

Paul, I had the distinct privilege of sitting behind Capt. Paige Whitney on a DC-10 jumpseat ride.He was the F/O on the DC-10 that lost the aft cargo door over Windsor.To hear him tell that story in his own words is moving.After all that he still loved the 10.
    The fix for that incident and the 1974 Turkish crash in Paris was to replace the lock pins with stainless steel versions.In both incidents untrained ramp personnel closed the door improperly and forced the lock handle closed with their knees, breaking the lockpins.The design was solid, it just wasn't able to withstand the uninitiated.

There was something about the L1011 but I can't remember what.
    Eastern 401, probably.

I don't know what a tri-hole is, sounds lewd to me.
    https://www.google.de/search?q=aviation+tri-holer

Members who have read this thread: 0