Edwards AFB circa 1960 WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edwards AFB circa 1960 WIP

Looks great, DL!

Your hangar screenshots remind me of the hangars in FS9 that you could open/close the doors, merely by tuning to a certain frequency. I had asked about this ability in FSX, but can't remember what the replies were....? NC

This can be done using SODE, the trigger for opening not necessarily being the frequency but any event. I intend to study it and examine the possibilities for custom event triggered animations.

Any updates on this one?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Any updates on this one?
    Hello Rick,

Sorry for lack of (visible) progress. It turns out I had errors in the AFCAD layout of my South Base vs North Base. Not a lot of great documentation of how the buildings were arranged back in the 50s period, so a lot of time has gone into gleaning what building was on which side of the base.

Silver lining is that yet another very talented building designer has stepped up with some help on some of the other buildings. Still working out a lot of behind-the-scenes details on that. But at least the John Young-supplied hangars are pinned, and the repainters who've stepped up will likely get some work in the coming months.

Been busy with family stuff and my other hobby (motorcycling) , so I suspect the bulk of the exciting work worth showing will begin in earnest in Oct.

But the fires are stoked, it'll get done.

Thanks!

dl

ps - Rick - I can't wait to give your enhanced XP-54 some more flight time as the spotter aircraft for this project. Will be a perfect "what if"" fit, at least for the 50's NACA period.

DL, the updated XP-54 is available here. Requires Milton's base package + the one he submitted on my behalf. It contains the metal texture along with global bump maps and speculars for all liveries.

A couple of aircraft I'd like to see flying out here when it's finished in no particular order:

1. F-86D/L/K
    2. X-15
    3. XP-56
    4. XP-54
    5. F-86
    6. XF-82A
    7. X-24B
    8. XF5U-1
    9. X-1
    10. XF-91

Some are available, some not. But still would like to see all these in sim one day! How's things going on the project?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members +
    Blog Entries
    I was always going to send this, always managed to get side tracked on various minor jobs as overthrowing small governments and gunrunning...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...FhTRW1DX21zUUE

It's the KBT B-52D. Stalled, as Mr KBT is difficult to get a reply out of. Haven't got 'round to Balls Eight yet, which will come sooner or later- unless the states shock troopers get lucky and I have to work out a couple of odds and sods for dropping an X-15 and having it land more or less intact- a version of one of the missile solutions as a droppable object.
    Are you going to put in the Happy Bottom Riding Club out at the west end of the runway? I noticed in one of the Edwards photo scenery packages that vestiges of the pool, strip and foundation outlines are present. The pool is still out there, out in the world. Poor 'ol Pancho, she sure got dicked over by the airforce in the end.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Laz and Rick!

Things are a bit quiet due to lots of business travel of late, but am slowly picking away. Having wrapped up a payware beta testing commitment will free up some time, too.

Happy Bottom Club? Wasn't on my list, already have scope creep due to another airfield I'm likely going to add. But it would sure fit right into the period(s) in question. If that B-52 is not hard on frames, I'll certainly add it as AI for the 60s period. Thanks so much for submitting that.

Rick, all those planes are among my favourites that I'd love to see out there. D nose Sabres, and anything lifting body related. Thankfully, there's a decent X-1 payware and great X-15 payware product out there, and a few odds and sods that fit in nicely - like the XP-54.

cheers,

dl

Members +
    Blog Entries
    The B-52 is buttery on frames, really, it's a very nice model- low drawcalls, not over complicated. Not much for systems, but I'm of the light up, toss the match down the tail pipe and blast off school of thought. How glorious were the days of stick, compass, ASI and clock! No baulky FMS, no airways, no bitchy ATC, no conga line of low-hour diaper clad RJ herders running up ones arse and bean counters sweating if the engines run one minute past ETA...
    Lemme tell you, aviation isn't much fun anymore.
    Piglet's X-24 in native is over at simviation, as is Ito-Sans Sabre Dog, Alpha's F-84. T-birds out the wazzo, H-21's, C-124's, Providers, C-97's, H-19's... The situation for freeware iron is really pretty good.
    On the hangar door front, if you can break your hangar doors out into a separate model file, or files if it's in left and right halfs, I can bang those through FSDS and MCX to use CIMOGT's door and elevator gauge, that's an easy hack.
    I'm actually feeling motivated to get on Balls Eight, sort out the X-15 drop and modify the missile solution, as I'm frustrated up to the I-balls chasing ship deck crash and effects bugs around.

Members who have read this thread: 1