Ratty's Run

Thread: Ratty's Run

Ratty's Run

Journal

Getting ready for a start on Monday or Tuesday. Had her repainted in RAAF colours in honor of the occasion.

I'm starting later than I would have liked, but it's interesting to see the state of the competition. Of those who have finished so far,

Spookster is the one to beat at over 350 knots (!) average speed, and spokes2112 is right behind at 321. It's interesting to note that

all the -51s in this race are the A2A version.

So, it will probably come down to getting lucky with the winds - and perfecting that crash stop. I guess part of what's so fascinating

about a competition like this is that there's no magic formula that guarantees a win. Is a climb to altitude worth it for the length of

the hop and the kind of winds you'll find higher up? And, if you climb, do you go for best rate, or a cruise climb? My still-air tests a

couple of years ago suggested a slight advantage to the latter, but upper level winds can blow that to hell (NPI).

And I realise I'm going to be operating the 'stang as I never have before. On the shorter hops, low down, with the blower engaged, I

can go at 67" the whole way. Last time I raced her, we were around 30,000 most of the time, and the MP was down around 50 (IIRR).

She runs a little warm flat out, supercharger on high at low level, but the coolers seem to work OK (though I wonder how much their

drag takes off the top speed). I suppose there's a chance of blowing the engine. Oh well, I haven't managed to destroy it yet.

Fuel management could be interesting, too. I was seeing 120gph at low altitude. I hope that's accurate, and not just where the gauge

pegs. At that rate, with 90 in each main, I get 1.5 hours endurance, which should be good for 500nm or so, without messing with the

fuselage tank. I'll probably just keep the 25 gallons in there, rather than add more reserve.

The weather - visibility - could be a factor. Most of the fields seem easy enough to find, but I'm sure there'll be some surprises. I

remember swanning around in the murk for a few nervous minutes last year over - was it Allahabad? - trying to find the right one.

Otherwise, not much worried about the nav bit. I learned with just a map and a compass; the ADF will come in handy when I screw up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0