Using FSX "Repair"

Thread: Using FSX "Repair"

Using FSX "Repair"

When I attempt to start FSX, I now get a message that reads " c:\fsx\texture scenery read error. attempting to open a non existent directory."
    I tried to install a freeware plane yesterday that had an installer. My usual installation route is c:\fsx. Instead of things ending up in "sim objects, airplanes", they got scattered all over the FSX files.
    In trying to delete all these files, I must have deleted a texture file that is nessesary for FSX to run.
    I have no idea what file I deleted, and to make things worse, I had also emptied the recycle bin.

If I run the FSX installation disk and run "REPAIR" to try to get the lost file back, would it remove all my payware scenery and planes?
    I have acceleration also, would that have to be removed first before running the FSX disk and then re-install it?
    Is there any other way to get the deleted file back?
    Thanks for any ideas.

Did you uninstall some scenery recently? Seems like I have gotten similar messages, and all I need to do was remove the affected scenery entries from my Scenery.cfg file. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Did you uninstall some scenery recently? Seems like I have gotten similar messages, and all I need to do was remove the affected scenery entries from my Scenery.cfg file. NC
    No, I have not uninstalled any scenery. I have a feeling that when I was deleting all the airplane texture files for that plane, I must have deleted a file called "Texture" that had nothing to do with that plane, but was nessesary for FSX to run. Thanks for the reply.

I don't think 'repair' will work if you have the Acc disc or SP's in place.. unless your disc is FSX Gold that is.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I don't think 'repair' will work if you have the Acc disc or SP's in place.. unless your disc is FSX Gold that is.

ATB
    DaveB
    Dave, My FSX and Acceleration were installed separately.
    What I'm hoping someone can answer is if doing the repair would just fix the missing file to get FSX to run again, or would it completely return it to the way it was when I first installed it. would I have to re-install all my payware stuff?

Hello Mate

I'm sure someone will have a definitive answer for you but the point about using repair from your original disc is that it will only be able to repair what was on that disc.. it will have no knowledge of SP1 or SP2/Acc. Hopefully, there will be a different path you can go down but as for using repair with SP1/Acc installed.. I doubt very much it will work anyway.
    ATB
    DaveB

Have you taken a look at the contents of the cab files on the original FSX and Acceleration install CDs to see if they contain the missing texture files?

If you find them, you should be able to extract them if you are just looking to replace what you deleted by mistake.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I lost/deleted some files and ran Repair in my FSX Gold and then Repair in my Acceleration. It took some time but everything was put right and no add ons were affected, lost or removed. May have been the luck of an innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    When I attempt to start FSX, I now get a message that reads " c:\fsx\texture scenery read error. attempting to open a non existent directory."
    I tried to install a freeware plane yesterday that had an installer. My usual installation route is c:\fsx. Instead of things ending up in "sim objects, airplanes", they got scattered all over the FSX files.
    In trying to delete all these files, I must have deleted a texture file that is nessesary for FSX to run.
    I have no idea what file I deleted, and to make things worse, I had also emptied the recycle bin.

If I run the FSX installation disk and run "REPAIR" to try to get the lost file back, would it remove all my payware scenery and planes?
    I have acceleration also, would that have to be removed first before running the FSX disk and then re-install it?
    Is there any other way to get the deleted file back?
    Thanks for any ideas.

In the last time I recived visualfx.dll error (sometimes, CTD on the startup). I used repair function from CD. Note: if You use FSX: Acc use ONLY Repair from FSX:Acc disc or (if You have Gold from Gold CD).
    Before it You can delete Your " User....FSX.cfg " (or do backup but remove orginal fsx.cfg from User folder).
    I have good news for You: I have many addons, dll, REX textures, FTX Global ect. (not affected on scenery.cfg, dlls ect.) - no any problems after Repair function on my PC.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

What you can do is before you run the Repair, rename your fsx folder to say fsx.old.
    Create a new empty folder named fsx.
    Then run the repair, FSX discs first and then acceleration.

You will find that you then have in your fsx folder, a full version of fsx.
    You can use this to replace the texture folder that you deleted in error.
    It will be, I think, the main texture folder to be found in fsx:\texture,
    as the error message states.

Then rename your new fsx folder to say fsx.new and the original folder
    fsx.old back to fsx.

If you haven't deleted any more required folders, it will then work.
    If you find that you still have error messages, you now have the files to
    replace them.

Thank you for all the replies, maybe this won't be as bad as I thought.
    Will take your advice and see what happens.
    I think the repair will only fix this from the main FSX disk, as those are the files needed for FSX to run. FSX runs even without Acceleration, so I doubt something in there would cause FSX to not start.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    What you can do is before you run the Repair, rename your fsx folder to say fsx.old.
    Create a new empty folder named fsx.
    Then run the repair, FSX discs first and then acceleration.

You will find that you then have in your fsx folder, a full version of fsx.
    You can use this to replace the texture folder that you deleted in error.
    It will be, I think, the main texture folder to be found in fsx:\texture,
    as the error message states.

Then rename your new fsx folder to say fsx.new and the original folder
    fsx.old back to fsx.

If you haven't deleted any more required folders, it will then work.
    If you find that you still have error messages, you now have the files to
    replace them.

That's a GOOOOOOOOD tip, sir. I shall copy your post and put it in my "How-To-Do-It" file. +1

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Have you taken a look at the contents of the cab files on the original FSX and Acceleration install CDs to see if they contain the missing texture files?

If you find them, you should be able to extract them if you are just looking to replace what you deleted by mistake.
    The problem is that I have no idea what file I would be looking for. Maybe someone can tell me if there is a main file called Texture that is nessesary for FSX to start.

Yes there is.
    It is called "Texture" and in a default installation of FSX, in Windows File Explorer
    it should be below "Substitutions" and above "Uires" in the left hand pane.

Unfortunately, the name "texture" is also widely used in aircraft folders.....

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Yes there is.
    It is called "Texture" and in a default installation of FSX, in Windows File Explorer
    it should be below "Substitutions" and above "Uires" in the left hand pane.

Unfortunately, the name "texture" is also widely used in aircraft folders.....
    ncooper: Thanks for the information. I just checked, what I have between "Substitutions" and "Uires" is something called "Terrain 1".
    It looks like the "Texture" file is what I deleted.

Members +
    NEVER install into the sim with an auto installer.
    Always install into a temp directory (so you can see all the files as well as the read-me's) THEN copy those files into the sim.
    It will save a lot of blood, sweat, tears & a few #$@% words as well!

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Always install into a temp directory (so you can see all the files as well as the read-me's) THEN copy those files into the sim.
    This is not the first time I have had a problem with auto installers, though the first time to actually cause FSX to not work. I have learned my lesson.

I have a backup of the default Texture folder if that will help. It's pristine and untouched by human hand.

ATB
    DaveB

If you just deleted the file and have not emptied the recycle bin, you can go in and restore the file or files. I have done this a few times.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I have a backup of the default Texture folder if that will help. It's pristine and untouched by human hand.

ATB
    DaveB
    Dave; It might work. I once lost a default gauge, someone sent it to me and it worked.
    Would you have a used, slightly worn copy of "Texture"? As my copy of FSX is about 9years old, it might work better than a pristine copy.
    Where would it be inserted? c:\fsx ?
    If you think it would work, I would be glad to try it if you would send a copy of it.
    Thank you, Dale Rudolph

I agree.

Some more post wisdom.

Some auto installers refuse to install into a dummy folder. In most cases this is because there is not the FSX.exe file. Copy it there and everything goes right once again. Further problem is that some installer programs refuse to install even after that trick (they possibly look in Windows register). I bypassed this so that I installed FSX to my secondary computer (a laptop - too slow to run FSX but perfect to solve this kind of problems) and installed the addon there and then copied it to the real FSX coputer. I use autoinstaller to install right into the FSX only in some few (payware) cases it is better to do so (for example installing PMDG software). All freeware I install manually (using dummy folder if necessary).

I also take always a full copy of FSX and other sims on my external HDD (or somewhere else) right after it's fresh install. From there it is much easier to copy over missing or corrupted files or folders than try to find those from the original disks. One can also easily compare the original fresh copy and the sim one is using if something is missing.

Pekka

The only drawback to this is if/when you want to uninstall the add-on. The uninstaller will try to remove the files from the folder used for installation. You would have to remember which files you copied over and delete them all manually from your FSX folder. Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a problem with an auto installer (yet!).

For an update, I want to thank Dave B. for all the time and trouble he went through to get me the missing Texture file, FSX is working again.
    And thanks again to all of you who had suggestions on what to try.
    What a great bunch of guys here on the forums!

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    I agree.

Some more post wisdom.

Some auto installers refuse to install into a dummy folder. In most cases this is because there is not the FSX.exe file. Copy it there and everything goes right once again. Further problem is that some installer programs refuse to install even after that trick (they possibly look in Windows register). I bypassed this so that I installed FSX to my secondary computer (a laptop - too slow to run FSX but perfect to solve this kind of problems) and installed the addon there and then copied it to the real FSX coputer. I use autoinstaller to install right into the FSX only in some few (payware) cases it is better to do so (for example installing PMDG software). All freeware I install manually (using dummy folder if necessary).

I also take always a full copy of FSX and other sims on my external HDD (or somewhere else) right after it's fresh install. From there it is much easier to copy over missing or corrupted files or folders than try to find those from the original disks. One can also easily compare the original fresh copy and the sim one is using if something is missing.

Pekka
    Another good tip I will copy. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0