UAC BS Limit Reached
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UAC BS Limit Reached

UAC BS Limit Reached

The single worst and most irritating function ever devised by Microsoft. . .The "User Account Control". In Win7 I turned it off the instant the new OS was installed and lived happily after that safe in the knowledge that I could open a program without getting the third degree from some stupid pop-up. Win10 seems to have gone one step further by not allowing you to use certain programs if you turn UAC off. So now it appears that if I turn off UAC and then try to open file folders or programs I get a pop-up saying I can't access that and if I turn UAC on I get a pop-up asking if I want to open it. Has anyone with Win10 installed found how to eliminate this PITA program?

Hey Ed,

UAC is a security thing. It may be annoying, but it is there for your own good and that of your rig. You can turn it off in Windows 10 in three ways: control panel, slider and registry. You should be looking at the registry tweak. here is how you do it:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off-and-disable-uac-in-windows-10/

A bit less then half way down the page. The key you're looking at is:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
    In the right pane, modify the value of the EnableLUA DWORD value and set it to 0

BTW, what program doesn't run anymore with UAC off?

Cheers,

Johan
    Last edited by Dumonceau; August 9th, 2015 at 08:20. Reason: registry key added

Blog Entries
    What Johan said...it is there for the protection of you and your computer, Falcon. We live in a dangerous world online and there are a lot of unscrupulous fools out there that wanna take down people's computer just for the fun or it or to get at your accounts. Hacking has become very sophisticated and also very common in the community.https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/....07.uac.aspxIn conclusion:UAC is a set of technologies that has one overall goal: to make it possible for users to run as standard users. The combination of changes to Windows that enable standard users to perform more operations that previously required administrative rights, file and registry virtualization, and prompts all work together to realize this goal. The bottom line is that the default Windows 7 and Windows 10 UAC mode makes a PA user’s experience smoother by reducing prompts, allows them to control what legitimate software can modify their system, and still accomplishes UAC’s goals of enabling more software to run without administrative rights and continuing to shift the software ecosystem to write software that works with standard user rights.Mark Russinovich is a Technical Fellow at Microsoft in the Platform and Services Division. Mark is not just pro Microsoft but pro-user. I have known Mark for a long time, since Windows NT first got introduced. Mark has done everything possible to keep computing as safe as possible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Russinovich
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

well guys...how can i set it to allow me to make changes to my flight simulator files..meaning...i cant even install a "repaint" again because it tells me i dont have the admin rights to change the .cfg file after updating it for the new paint....help?..

a) Improve your grammar and spelling.

b) Turn off UAC.

c) Install FSX outside of "C:\Program Files(x86)"

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post

b) Turn off UAC.

a) that was uncalled for and totally irrelevant/inapropriate
    b) you're actually telling people to endanger themselves and their rigs without knowing what security they are running?
    c) true, but not really necessary

Johan

As Paul has already noted. . .not at all necessary to slam someone for their spelling or grammar. I understand you have a rather coarse demeanor and I appreciate that this is just who you are. . .but don't extend that to the limits where you think you have the right to publicly call someone out for something as minor as this. It's very poor form Bjoern.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Hey Ed,
    UAC is a security thing. It may be annoying, but it is there for your own good and that of your rig. You can turn it off in Windows 10 in three ways: control panel, slider and registry. You should be looking at the registry tweak. here is how you do it:
    BTW, what program doesn't run anymore with UAC off?
    Cheers,
    Johan
    Thanks got it turned off. Actually it was all the new Apps installed with Win10 that wouldn't function with UAC turned off. . . .So I uninstalled them all. The one surviving app that really irritates me though is Netflix. . .I pay a monthly fee to have that and unfortunately with Win10, the only way to watch it is with their "app", Win10 doesn't recognize "Silverlight" which was the plugin that Win7 used. I watch Netflix just about every day. . .so that's gone now, but it'll save me $8 a month.

b) Turn off UAC.

why you little ................

im a California hillbilly son....leave me be........

at 53,it seems i need to go back to school...........

c'mon guys lighten up - everyone knows Bjoern by now - and errrmm Dave's uh 'relaxed' attitude toward all thing grammatical...as it were...is hardly unfamiliar..so to speak...

I don't think it was meant in a mean or antagonistic way..its just Bjoern
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    c'mon guys lighten up - everyone knows Bjoern by now - and errrmm Dave's uh 'relaxed' attitude toward all thing grammatical...as it were...is hardly unfamiliar..so to speak...

I don't think it was meant in a mean or antagonistic way..its just Bjoern

well my reply to him was mostly in jest...but ive got to say..i keep reading what i wrote over and over..and i still see nothing wrong with it..lol...so sue me..and ive joked around with many times..least im joking..dunno...hes never harmed me though...

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    well my reply to him was mostly in jest...but ive got to say..i keep reading what i wrote over and over..and i still see nothing wrong with it..lol...so sue me..and ive joked around with many times..least im joking..dunno...hes never harmed me though...
    Oh, there are lots wrong....but who's counting? ... <---- [BTW....that, too is incorrect]...

oh no Dave - I know you weren't taking offense..you are prolly the easygoingest feller on these boards...
    enter..the Sandman

I caught on to Bjoern's sardonic humor(or at least his attempt at it) as soon as I saw it. Who was it that said he's the "Don Rickles" of SOH??? LOL! And Dave, I'm the real "Mr. Typo" of SOH! Every time I go back and see where I screwed up a post with a typo, I cringe! lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I caught on to Bjoern's sardonic humor(or at least his attempt at it) as soon as I saw it. Who was it that said he's the "Don Rickles" of SOH??? LOL! And Dave, I'm the real "Mr. Typo" of SOH! Every time I go back and see where I screwed up a post with a typo, I cringe! lol
    All of us do typo's, all of us do the occasional grammar and spelling mistakes. But most of us have the manners and education not to attack other people on this...

Quite right Johan - there are swarms of English teachers lurking up in the sun, just waiting to dive down and shoot your tail off over the slightest error.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    b) you're actually telling people to endanger themselves and their rigs without knowing what security they are running?
    Dave should know by now that a 3rd party antivirus tool is the safest bet. And I've never had any situation in which UAC's nagging "Do you want to run...?" prompt could have saved my arse in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    As Paul has already noted. . .not at all necessary to slam someone for their spelling or grammar. I understand you have a rather coarse demeanor and I appreciate that this is just who you are. . .but don't extend that to the limits where you think you have the right to publicly call someone out for something as minor as this. It's very poor form Bjoern.
    It wasn't the first time, it won't be the last, it's blunt humour and it does have potential to become a running gag.

why you little ................

im a California hillbilly son....leave me be........

at 53,it seems i need to go back to school...........
    Can I be your teacher? :>

I'm not going to either.

I just know that you're never going to improve your hillbillnglish, but the least I can do is expressing my discontent at what amounts to fingernails on a chalkboard. Might need to be more subtle and creative in the future though...

On a more subject-related note:
    As long as you have a third-party antivirus tool installed, you can keep UAC and Windows Defender* off. If you run into a suspicious file, scan it with your AV tool, think twice before you execute it and that's about it.

*It will notice when you run another anti-virus tool and not nag you about being switched of.

Interesting discussion.

I've never had any situation in which UAC's nagging "Do you want to run...?" prompt could have saved my arse in the first place.
    I've never had the airbags in my car save my life, doesn't mean that I want to disable them.

cheers,
    Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Street View Post
    I've never had the airbags in my car save my life, doesn't mean that I want to disable them.
    Unless you're clubbed to death with one or have one start a fire that burns down your house, (private and personal) computers aren't life-threatening.

If a program or tool nags you about something, turn it off, raise your vigilance in turn and live with any eventual consequences. Not sure what the issue with that is.

Since Dave asked for an alternate antivirus: http://www.avira.com/

Haven't come across any better one so far.

Bjoern,

My point, which you so obviously missed, was that just because UAC has never (to your knowledge) saved you from an attack can we infer that you have ever been subjected to one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Street View Post
    My point, which you so obviously missed, was that just because UAC has never (to your knowledge) saved you from an attack can we infer that you have ever been subjected to one.
    Any malicious software this PC ever contracted could not have been stopped by UAC because it was a general lapse of reason on my part. Period.

Any malicious software this PC ever contracted could not have been stopped by UAC because it was a general lapse of reason on my part. Period.
    me too - I'm my PC's worst enemy, UAC and anti-virus and whatnot be damned...
    enter..the Sandman

SOH-CM-2023
    Dave should know by now that a 3rd party antivirus tool is the safest bet. And I've never had any situation in which UAC's nagging "Do you want to run...?" prompt could have saved my arse in the first place.
    //////////////////////////////// deleted //////////////////////////
    *It will notice when you run another anti-virus tool and not nag you about being switched of.
    I believe you meant "Off" in the last sentence.

Since Dave asked for an alternate antivirus: http://www.avira.com/

Haven't come across any better one so far.
    Kaspersky....

Members who have read this thread: 1