Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now

Lightbulb Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now

It had to happen sooner or later...

I'm running Windows 10 on a separate HD from my trusty Win7 setup. This is not an upgraded setup, it's a new, clean install for evaluating the new OS.

Yesterday I got CFS3 installed from scratch on my Windows 10 hard drive and the installation went smoothly. BUT... CFS3 won't run in Windows 10. It doesn't seem to know how to look for the CD to authenticate the install each time it runs. FS9 users have reported the same problem with their CDs.

The answer is well known to many of us, and it's the no-CD patched version: CFS3 starts and runs with that every time. I don't see any reason ETO, MAW and the rest shouldn't also work that way.

As many of us also know, discussion of this patch on SOH is barred as a longstanding policy. Please refer to Tom Clayton's post in the FS9 forum for the reasons and do any file hunting away from SOH.

Thank you!

Edit: Recent updates borked that too, see hypercide's post (#13) below for the current answer.
    Last edited by hairyspin; March 15th, 2016 at 13:16. Reason: MS updates to W10
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi Hairyspin,

My dvd copy of CFS3 comes with the no-CD/DVD version as standard, so the game does not need to refer back to the installation disk. Perhaps SOH might reconsider its approach to discussion on the subject.

All of my separate installs use the later official cfs3.exe which is just over 4Mb in size, whereas the original cfs3.exe was IIRC 4.6Mb. Sounds like the smaller, later exe version might be needed for Win10?

Some are lucky to have that DVD version David, mine is the two CDs from way back.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Likewise mine.

I believe that the DVD version was put out by UBISOFT, and like the original is still available on a certain well known selling site.

I am still awaiting for my Windows 10 "Upgrade".

Really quite pleased about that as many of the wrinkles should have been resolved before I do install it.

Kev

If you have the facility Kev, download the ISO and burn it to a DVD. Saves hanging on a broadband connection.
    Tom

I have already done that.

Still going to wait a while though!!

Kev

CFS3 and Windows 10

I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and now my CFS3 will not run nor MAW, OFF, ETO, ...ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? Thanks, Ed Burk

See the first post, Ed.
    Tom

I have also found that the "patch" is required.

Now have 9 separate installs all running with no issue`s in W10.

The only thing I found when install my WOFF, is that V1 was not working in W10.

There are two solutions to this. Add Ankors shaders to WOFF V1 or upgrade to V2.

Kev

I believe that CFS3, being made before Vista was released (when UAC first came out) there is mass undiscovered saving/running problems even with windows 7. Either read only problems or some major privilege problems preventing the game from running and SAVING correctly as it should. XP never had all these run as admin options etc for security, and problem never really existed. I'm doing constant testing.

Grrr

I'm now not getting CFS3 to run in Windows 10 at all. Oh bother.
    Tom

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    I'm now not getting CFS3 to run in Windows 10 at all. Oh bother.
    Hi Hairyspin, I'm having the same problem with Win10 and my half-dozen or so installs. Discovered I couldn't run Pat's BoB yesterday.

Solution: set up to WinXP SP3 compatibility mode by right clicking on the cfs3exe and going into properties.

Suspect: Sodding recent Win 10 update. These are now forced on us with no user choice. I could start ranting about how we are now, as owners of PCs and payers for the privilege of MS software, held HOSTAGE to our software and the software CONTROLS access to our own sodding hardware!! Switch on PC for a quick flight or to test something, and in the background PC performance grinds down as background updates for innumerable things occur, even when I try to disable them in the Startup menu....grumble rant rave.....

Incidentally I was running CFS3 installs directly on my root pathway to D: drive. Now I've created a Program files (x86) additional folder in my D drive for cfs3 installs, can't see any difference really, but maybe running cfs3 would be better if install is outside of program files folder, like I had originially?? Given the problems (speculative) with Win10 upgrades.

HTH,

This worked for me

Hi folks,

Bought CFS3 from old-games yesterday because I wanted to buy WOFF. Initially no joy under Win 10 Home, with XP SP3 compatibility mode, running as Admin--the only suggestions I could find on the net.

Then, in a what-if kind of moment, I toyed with the "Settings" options under the Compatibility tab in the cfs3.exe Properties. I've enabled "reduced color mode" at 16-bit, "Run in 640-480 screen res" and "Display display scaling" (in addition to XP SP3 and run as admin). This works, and in game you can then fiddle with the display options. Additionally, I have it running in its own directory in my second hard drive. And I've successfully installed the current WOFF bundle (also on second hard drive) and did three different mission types over 45 mins with no problems. Joy.

(I have a Dell XPS with a GeForce GTX 745)

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by hypercide View Post
    ... I toyed with the "Settings" options under the Compatibility tab in the cfs3.exe Properties. I've enabled "reduced color mode" at 16-bit, "Run in 640-480 screen res" and "Display display scaling" (in addition to XP SP3 and run as admin). This works, and in game you can then fiddle with the display options...
    Tim, you are a steely-eyed missile man. And I have my CFS3 running again in 1680x1050, full colour, YAY!
    Last edited by hairyspin; March 28th, 2016 at 11:38.
    Tom

Woff patch for windows 10

I know that any patches are taboo on SOH. But the WOFF team have developed a patch that will make WOFF run in windows ten, so it would be
    nice if there is one for CFS3, otherwise I am trying to avoid upgrading to windows 10. And so far I feel I have made a wise choice.

as far as the DVD version of CFS3 I can't find that anywhere.

No luck at all with changed admin settings

Patched W10 to latest update last night and had to redo the compatibility settings as per Tim's advice above, but I have CFS3 running in W10 as before.
    Tom

Much tweaking and experimentation later, here's the lowdown on CFS3 in Windows 10. My thanks again to Tim (hypercide) for his discovering this.

1. Install CFS3 from your original CDs (or DVD if you're lucky). Make life easier by not installing to the default folder, use something like C:\CFS3 and avoid UAC problems later. Don't run the sim yet!
    2. Apply the 3.1 and 3.1a patches. Don't run the sim yet!
    3. Replace cfs3.exe with the unmentionable patch but don't run the sim yet!

Now set the patch program's compatibility as shown :–

Yes, the program is being set to run in 640x480 display mode and reduced colour. Don't panic!

Now run CFS3 and once the sim starts (in ghastly 1998–style graphics) you can set the display resolution and colour depth to suit your system (in my case 1680x1050 and 32-bit colour.) CFS3 will run happily but to exit the program use Control-Shift-Q.

With this done you can now use cfs3config.exe (run in XP SP3 compatibility) to set your preferences: disable intro movie, switch off dual-pass render, switch on high resolution z-buffer, the usual suspects. But one thing you must not do is switch on anti-aliasing. If you do there's a crash to desktop every time.

If your experience differs, let us know!
    Last edited by hairyspin; February 17th, 2019 at 10:27.
    Tom

Thanks for the info. Prior to the last update I was running it, now this one is a no go. Will give it a try. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Retired Master Chief Petty Officer, USN.
    Windows 7 64bit Professional Operating System.
    Processor: Intel Dual Core E-8400(3.0GigHz)
    Video: GTX-250 768 megs.
    Ram: 4096 megs.
    HD: 320gig W/D

win 10

Hi fellas, I have only just reinstalled CFS3 after not using it for a loooong time. This thread peaked my interest as I have installed it on win 10 and had no problems (yet). I have the single DVD version. When installing, I have a CFS3, setup folder. In it I have 10 sub folders ordered 1-10.(Doesn't include aircraft) Number one has the 3.1 and 3.1a patches of which you only need 3.1a if you have the DVD version apparently.Number 2 has the unmentionable thingy which is possibly why I didn't hit problems.3 has the NEK's . 4 foxes super effects package. 5 Winding Mans scenery and so on. I have spent all day installing planes trains, automobiles , airfields and have quite a size able install . I only just tried it ,before coming on here, and it is working fine ...... touch wood. The point is don't be afraid of win 10 with CFS3. This is the first time I can play it with all sliders up to max due to a new computer. I am looking forward to playing again.
    Tony

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    Just to throw in me tuppence... Win7... using a variety of patched versions... win7 bitches: "no cd"...
    but I just hit what(?) retry or something 3 times and cfs3 loads ok (ETO & MAW) ...a few (8 or 20)
    pc win7 reboots later and lo and behold its no longer prompting me for the cd and is back to normal...

go figure

Icon9 Oh no!

OK just to update, I have run into problems, (serves me right) But it seems to be aircraft installs rather than windows. Also I have noticed a huge difference between air files for 1% aircraft and earlier planes. I am going to redo the whole install and only use the 1% AIRCRAFT . They fly better. I have downloaded the new bump map files but yet to install . they sound very good. I have high hopes for these. I play Warthunder online and I can say the aircraft models are the best. They look real. However it's missing some of the playability of CFS3 like more than one player in the same bomber. I'm not impressed with the mix of aircraft they have in a game too. Late or post war aircraft in a game with early war aircraft. Very unfair.
    Tony

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    Yeah Tony the stock flight models are weird and geared for the arcade crowd IMHO.
    Go 1% and you'll never regret it.

New clean install of Win10. Installed original CFS3 to C:\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3 (i.e. the default path minus the "Program Files"). Patched to 3.1a. Works perfectly with no special settings. After installing PTO to the same directory (C:\Microsoft Games\CFS3 PTO Solomon Islands), when I fire it up it looks good until I go to select another plane and then the attached where the screen is being painted onto all the planes! I've tried 'Run as administrator' and different compatibility options to no avail. Same thing with MAW. In fact, although I am not entirely sure, the problem was not present until I tried MAW. I have not tried ETO or Rising Sun yet until I get this ironed out. I've never installed into Win10 directly before. Anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTFPTO.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 26