Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now

Hello!

Well hello gents! I just had my Win7 rig checked tonight and the mobo is gone caput. Ah well... time to order a new rig. I think I will go for another i7 nvidia setup and get an external cd-rom as the only one I saw on Best Buy was almost as old as my liquid cooled rig from 2012. I will follow the procedures listed here in the next couple weeks. Wonder if my avatar still works?

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

Nope, but here's a new one. "Mornin' Squadron Leader!" Now to find that rig...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

Blog Entries
    Hey Squiffy! You snuck in the back door, how are you old boy?
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Now there's a name from years gone by. Welcome back Squiffy!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    I had a bit of trouble with the Creators Update that installed itself last night. The game still ran once I reinstalled the User files in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft, but all of my Anti-Aliasing was disabled.

I tried new video drives, reinstalling DX9c, and a wide range of other control panel settings changes both in the game and in the NVCP all to no effect. What I finally found to work was using NvidiaProfileInspector to set the AA Compatibility bits. In the past this was not needed, and the value could remain at the default 0x00000000. Now it needs one of several that end with 40, 41, or C1.

F0C1
    100C1
    4412C1

There are subtle effect differences between each one, but generally they fall into the three main groups defined by the last two digits. Right now I've settled on the last one, as it's biased toward darkening the edges its aliasing.
    This still applies, but I discovered another work around.

If you set NoMultisampling=0 in d3d8.ini, and apply in game Multisampling (8X) through cfs3config.exe, and use "Enhance the Application Setting" versus "Override any Application Setting", then you can still apply custom anti-aliasing settings like SGSSAA to reduce shimmering through Nvidia Profile Inspector. Doing it this way produces almost exactly the same effect as using the compatibility bits I listed above.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi All,

Just installed stock CFS3 to Win10 Home system via the 2 original disks, applied the patches followed the instructions for the exe file settings and all is working perfectly. the only extra step I took was to add the 4gb memory patch to the exe file.

now to attempt ETO and Ankor's shaders..

regards Rob.

System specs.

Model PRY-INF2-1070
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Type Core i7
    Processor Model 8700
    Processor Speed (GHz) 3.20
    Processor Max Speed (GHz) 4.60
    Cooling System Fan
    Installed RAM 16GB
    RAM Type DDR4
    Primary Storage Capacity 2TB
    Storage Type HDD
    Additional Storage Capacity 256GB
    Additional Storage Type SSD
    Wireless Networking IEEE 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0
    GPU Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
    GPU Chipset GeForce GTX 1070
    Graphics Card Memory 8GB
    Monitor 1 LG 32” Class QHD gaming monitor 2560x1440 144Hz
    Monitor 2 LG 22” Flatron 1680 x 1050 60Hz
    Operating System Windows 10 Home
    System Type 64 bit
    System Peripherals Thermaitake – Ttesports gaming keyboard and mouse.
    Joystick MS Sidewinder 2 (no force feedback)
    Flight Sim Peripherals CH rudder pedals, CH throttle quadrant, CH Yoke, TrackIR-4.
    Sound MSi 5.1-7.1 using Razor Headset.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Glad it's going well so far.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Hi All,

ETO installed and working well. C:\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion edited the bat files to match directory, no discernable issues with switching era's etc noticed yet.

I do have one problem across both current installs of CFS3 though. The F7 key doesn't seem to be recognised, which means I cant select bomb aimer view. all the other 'F' keys are working as they should. Has anybody else experienced this?

regards Rob.

I find I've had to hold the key longer than usual; especially as I have day and night bomb sights so need to press it 2x for night ones. I don't think it is the keybiard as no other issues and have the same issue with F7 binding on my joystick.

Hi All,

F7 key issue fixed. with the update of trackIR software to version 5 there is a tick box for each program button (F7, F8, F9, F12) called trap. If you untick this option you have the ability for other keybindings to use the key in question, I can now get to bomb aimer view.

So have a perfect multiple install of CFS3 working on windows 10. Ankor shaders (Nov 17 2017 build) working in stock CFS3 - WOW.....

regards Rob.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Winters View Post
    Hi All,

F7 key issue fixed. with the update of trackIR software to version 5 there is a tick box for each program button (F7, F8, F9, F12) called trap. If you untick this option you have the ability for other keybindings to use the key in question, I can now get to bomb aimer view.

So have a perfect multiple install of CFS3 working on windows 10. Ankor shaders (Nov 17 2017 build) working in stock CFS3 - WOW.....

regards Rob.
    hi Rob, I agree, stock CFS3 is unrecognisable now with Ankors latest shaders. Even some of the stock textures look great if you have a hi-res monitor. The firetrucks and the bog standard opel Blitz have hitherto unseen variations and subtle changes in the skins in UHD. Not to mention even the stock effects! That is why I uploaded the upgrade of stock, it all looks great on a WQHD 34" monitor, Win 10 64 bit.

I had a complete loss of computer about 6 weeks ago. Sadly, most of my CFS3 development work was lost in the process. I've got things running again finally with the newest version of Win 10 installed.

An install of CFS3 is running, but it is being relentlessly capped at 50 fps by something in Win 10 (I've eliminated all the other possible sources). With last Fall's version of Win 10, running at 77-100 FPS in G-Sync was never even an issue.

I've done a bunch of Internet searching to no avail. Either the answer is that you can't outfox Windows from doing this, or the known tricks like disabling fullscreen optimizations don't seem to work on my system. I have Game Bar turned off, but there is no longer any way to disable Game Mode.

Has anyone else seen this, and figured out a workaround? I'd hate to think my high speed monitor is going to have to run at half speed all the time.

*** After hours of messing around it started working normally without doing anything in particular to stop it. ***
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Of course I get up this morning to see that Win 10 1803 has decided it needed to do a monthly update after I went to bed last night, and the 50 FPS lock is back...

I can see that the game starts okay, and then a few seconds after the User Interface comes up the monitor framerate drops from 99 to 50.

I went into the registry and added a DWORD command to disable Game Mode, and in the Windows Gaming Control Panel I can see that it's now turned off. Still no joy so the problem must be caused by something else.

It does not happen in my 3D benchmarking tool, so this seems to be something peculiar to CFS3.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    That's why i'm sticking with Win 7 64bit ! No issues... get to choose Win updates. Run at 91 fps. Ever thought about running dual Windows programs ?

I used to have a dual boot system, but lost that capability when I changed computers a few years ago, and the MB wouldn't let me boot off the DVD to load the OEM operating system disks I had.

So it turns out that the cfs3.xml in the Default folder had the maxFPS set at 77. In the past this always worked with no problem, and helped to reduce micro-stutters. Evidently now Win 10 misinterprets it. Settings less than 50 work as requested, but anything over 50 gets set to half my 100 MHz monitor's refresh rate (ignores V-Sync).
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    So it turns out that the cfs3.xml in the Default folder had the maxFPS set at 77. In the past this always worked with no problem, and helped to reduce micro-stutters. Evidently now Win 10 misinterprets it. Settings less than 50 work as requested, but anything over 50 gets set to half my 100 MHz monitor's refresh rate (ignores V-Sync).
    Just seen this post. My guess would have been cfs3.xml. But I didn't know about the strange business of halving the refresh rate.....I tend to set cfs3.xml to my monitor's (pathetic) refresh rate of 60Hz. When I press Z it tells me that it is working fine, giving me around 58-59 Hz.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, rechecked mine and it's at 54 fps. Still looks good though,just not as good as Il-2 '46.

Hi All,

with stock CFS3 I get 270fps all day long, stock CFS3 with Ankors shaders applied I get a consistent 60fps. my ETO install with Ankors shaders again gets a consistent 60fps. my cfs3.xml files have a max fps set to 0. Is it possible that the shaders are somehow talking to Win10 and this is the cause of the capped fps in game?

regards Rob.

There is a line in AnKor's d3d8.ini that can force you to 60 FPS if that's what your monitor runs at.

; -1 - Off; 0 - Default; 1 - VSync On
    VSyncMode=1

You can set this to -1, and see if your FPS goes up.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Hi All,

Thanks Andy, changing that value from 0 to -1. I now have an average FPS of 190 with shaders applied.

regarsd Rob.

Yeah! that is the same for me. It will be interesting to see what it is with large formations and lots going on.

CFS3 in Win 10 stopped Working.

I had CFS3 running beautifully in win 10 after following Hairyspin's instructions.

Now it will not run at all. I think a windows update caused the problem.

I uninstalled followed Hairyspin's instructions again but still no joy.

Has anyone any clues?

Thanks

Are we talking about one of the monthly patches, or a full blown version update?

I'm still at version 1803 because of the system wipe-out I suffered last October.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Are we talking about one of the monthly patches, or a full blown version update?

I'm still at version 1803 because of the system wipe-out I suffered last October.

To be honest I am not sure. I will investigate!

Monthly Patch around November time.

Members who have read this thread: 26