A Race Event: Airfields of the Southwest Pacific II. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Race Event: Airfields of the Southwest Pacific II.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Taylor View Post
    ... Note: I will not be carrying the extra hardware during the race. I just wanted to point out that with a P-47, you ARE the strike package.
    Ha, good point!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

"Thanks Robert. I think we have a decent strike package now, with your SBD and Taco's F6F watching our "six"..."

Roger that.
    The texture I am going to use is available right here at the outhouse from RobH.

From the read me.
    "This texture represents SBD-4/5 White 119 'PUSH PUSH' of VMSB-144,flown by Maj Frank E Hollar, Solomon Islands, november 1943. Based at Munda in the New Georgia group, VMSB-144 supported the landings at Empress Augusta Bay on Bougainville. The aircraft name 'PUSH PUSH' was unusual even by Marine Corps standards, both in respect to its existence and prominent size. Hollar led the squadron from April to late November 1943, after which -144 returned to the USA to be redesignated a torpedo bombing squadron with Avengers."

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    "Thanks Robert. I think we have a decent strike package now, with your SBD and Taco's F6F watching our "six"..."

Roger that.
    The texture I am going to use is available right here at the outhouse from RobH.

From the read me.
    "This texture represents SBD-4/5 White 119 'PUSH PUSH' of VMSB-144,flown by Maj Frank E Hollar, Solomon Islands, november 1943. Based at Munda in the New Georgia group, VMSB-144 supported the landings at Empress Augusta Bay on Bougainville. The aircraft name 'PUSH PUSH' was unusual even by Marine Corps standards, both in respect to its existence and prominent size. Hollar led the squadron from April to late November 1943, after which -144 returned to the USA to be redesignated a torpedo bombing squadron with Avengers."

Good goin' Robert! ... perfect textures for this event.
    salt_air

Icon22

I don't know what to think .....

Stopped at Santa Ana (AGGT) just long enough to relieve myself ... (some nuisance new fangled pill I have to take now) ... as soon as I started reading that same old article from that same old magazine that was here last year, I hear a plane land and then I hear another one start up and take off .... hmmm.
    Hang on! ... there was no body else here when I landed .... that means the "other" plane must be mine ... what the?

Great .... the P-40 I flew in here is nowhere to be seen ... I can barely hear it off in the distance and the only plane here now is painted white with big red solid circles on it .... NOT good!

Guy steals my plane while I'm on the hopper and leaves me with this .... uh, I don't even know what.

Local says it's a Mitsubishi A5M "Claude" ..... Okaaaay, where's the key? .... I'm going to chase this guy all the way to Japan if I have to .....

Better submit some paperwork to Miss Nellie for approval .... this is an old bird here ... never heard of it before ... not just another port over .... see attached readme files.

Original README.TXT

readme ija.txt

Ran a series of 3 tests as per the event's supplied ruleage and found Ground Speeds of:

204kts @ 1000'

241kts @ 9800' .... (9842' is CA)

190kts @ 18000' .... loss due to pilot's inability to breathe in the open cockpit

I'll wait for a reply from Miss Nellie before I begin the hunt for my P-40
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fs9 2015-08-14 20-28-25-42.jpg  
    salt_air

How cool, salt_air-san.
    -Mike

A most excellent choice in the A5M! Don't forget your goggles and scarf!
    HP Reverb G2

Thanks Austin. Going to be getting started tomorrow night, or sunday for sure.

I'll be joining in with the A2A P-51D, FSX SE and Opus weather.
    Klas
    Team AVSIM

Welcome Klas!
    HP Reverb G2

Count me in...I'll try the Beaufighter first. Flying in FSX:SE with real world weather. Going to see if I can do some dead reckoning...or I reckon I'll be dead!
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Welcome paiken! Assuming that's the CBFS Beaufighter... Pretty awesome choice, BTW...
    HP Reverb G2

Hey guys. My first event here at sim-outhouse and first event period. New to the whole flight sim experience for the most part. So here I am to take part in this historic event. I am a good friend of Austin (salt_air) so I do have all the necessaries to do this.

Anyways, I will be flying in the Grumman F7F by Shupe. Using FS9 and default Jeppesen weather.

Quote Originally Posted by sjt530 View Post
    Hey guys. My first event here at sim-outhouse and first event period. New to the whole flight sim experience for the most part. So here I am to take part in this historic event. I am a good friend of Austin (salt_air) so I do have all the necessaries to do this.

Anyways, I will be flying in the Grumman F7F by Shupe. Using FS9 and default Jeppesen weather.
    Welcome aboard, sjt!
    HP Reverb G2

Hi guys. This is my first event here at sim-outhouse and first event period too -just like sjt530. I hope, i don't make too many mistakes....and would be thankfull for any help, if needed.
    I am flying the Curtiss P 40-E from (Irissimulations) in FSX. I am using FSrealWX lite weather engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P40-E.jpg  

What's even better than an aircraft with a Merlin engine? An aircraft with two Merlin engines, of course!

I intend to participate flying the de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito, the "wooden wonder", freeware model by Dave Garwood, in the 300-350kt class.

I will be flying in FSX with ASN weather.

This particular aircraft, DZ546 painted by Jan Kees Blom, was a B Mk.IV built in early 1943 and allocated to 618 Squadron. It was converted for 'Highball' missions in 1944. Highball was the codename of special spherical bouncing bombs to be used for antishipping attacks. The conversion included Merlin 24 motors, a four bladed prop, an arrester hook, new windscreen and armour plating. With the collapse of the German threat, 618 Squadron was transferred to Australia in October 1944, but no suitable role was found for the squadron, which was disbanded at RAAF Narromine in July 1945.
    Last edited by CavalierDuck; August 16th, 2015 at 05:05.

Welcome Karlsim. Great choice!
    HP Reverb G2

I think I'm ready for my next run, flying the new Aeroplane Heaven B-17F. It didn't come with a Pacific Theater paint, so I made this one. General MacArthur flew in this one once, observing troops landing someplace. It's a 43rd Bomb Group B-17F, 65th Bomb Squadron. I wonder why all the Pacific B-17s had the nose art on the right side. Isn't that interesting? Was it duplicated on the left side? You never see photos of the left side nose art.
    HP Reverb G2

Copy that, CD. Mosquitos! Surprised this one hasn't been chosen until now!
    HP Reverb G2

Greetings gents,

This is my 1st time doing one of these races so I would ask for a rules clarification. The rules states that a full stop landing must be made at every airport on the list. Does that include the originating airport as well?

Example: I start the race from AGGT do I need to return to that airport at some point & make a full stop landing as well for it to be counted?
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

SOH-CM-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Greetings gents,

This is my 1st time doing one of these races so I would ask for a rules clarification. The rules states that a full stop landing must be made at every airport on the list. Does that include the originating airport as well?

Example: I start the race from AGGT do I need to return to that airport at some point & make a full stop landing as well for it to be counted?
    Hey Bob, welcome!

The rules say "The race involves starting at any of the airports listed below, and making a full stop landing at each of the others in the list."

So that would mean you don't need to make a full stop landing at whichever one you start from. Good luck!
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

One final question & I will keep my yap shut & my butt in the pit.

Is it possible to run the race twice, a 2nd time with a different aircraft in a different class? My P-40 is getting jealous with all the attention the P-47 is getting. I almost feel like I am cheating on her

If allowed & just for the sake of interest I thought I would run the race in the P40 in the opposite direction.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    One final question & I will keep my yap shut & my butt in the pit.

Is it possible to run the race twice, a 2nd time with a different aircraft in a different class? My P-40 is getting jealous with all the attention the P-47 is getting. I almost feel like I am cheating on her

If allowed & just for the sake of interest I thought I would run the race in the P40 in the opposite direction.
    Yes. You can make as many runs as you want, different plane, class, no problem. Just as long as you complete the runs before the event ends, 00:00 GMP, 15 Sep. Even that is a "soft" date. If racers are close, we'll let them finish.
    HP Reverb G2

Enquiry

Hi, Paul. Thanks for putting this one together.

I won't be free for this until next week, but I'm considering what to fly. Is the A2A Civilian P-51 eligible (if I PROMISE not to turn on the panel-mounted GPS)?

No worries if it isn't; there are plenty of juicy choices.

Thanks!

SOH-CM-2016
    This event is great fun! Thanks very much Paul, Jim, Rob, Willy, Mike, Kevin and Miss Nellie.

It occurs to me that currently the race is a bit "one sided", and that "Claude" might need some company! I've found an airworthy "Betty" (Mitsubishi G4M1), that I'm just fitting with usable instruments and running some flight testing on. So maybe a second entry from me coming soon (subject to flight test figures being acceptable to Miss Nellie, of course).

She's a big bird that I'm guessing will lumber along at around 200-230 knots, so more than likely a Class 1 entry.
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=39579804

Spec looks similar to a DC-3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_G4M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Betty-texture-texture.jpg  
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Quote Originally Posted by ratty View Post
    Hi, Paul. Thanks for putting this one together.

I won't be free for this until next week, but I'm considering what to fly. Is the A2A Civilian P-51 eligible (if I PROMISE not to turn on the panel-mounted GPS)?

No worries if it isn't; there are plenty of juicy choices.

Thanks!
    Sounds good Ratty. Welcome to the race!
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 0