Windows 10 snafu / content thread - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 snafu / content thread

Even with Win 10 you should be able to go into the Image Quality settings and set the VC to high but this means you must do the copy and paste of the keys again.

The high detail key for the VC is frond in the [PREFS] look for COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD= and set to 1
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Dave

4GB patch - I have WIN7 Home Premium OS & I patched the CFS2 executible in all my installs. I found an improvement in smoothness & rendering speed in "object-heavy" missions, so I'd say the Sim being able to see & use the 4GB helps.

I can use Mission Builder in all my installs too, no issues.

High Detail VC - Don't think there's a particular setting in CFS2.cfg for High Detail VC panels.

I just think you just double up the VC panel.cfg "pixel size" entry for the aircraft in question (not forgetting to double up all the gauge size numbers too).
    After backing up the original *.exe the patch was applied. My Mission Builder did load okay. Still no joy in the vc, but I do appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Even with Win 10 you should be able to go into the Image Quality settings and set the VC to high but this means you must do the copy and paste of the keys again.

The high detail key for the VC is frond in the [PREFS] look for COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD= and set to 1
    Yep Allen, your suggestion of COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1 did the trick. Thanks.
    It also fixed the vc light from flickering which was also going on.
    With the AMD graphics card I have the Graphics acceleration is always greyed out. If I tick, Settings\graphics at all it porks everything down to the lowest settings.
    The experiencing of this called for keeping a back-up CFS2.cfg with all of the good Prefs and video card settings you posted earlier. Now those can be pasted back in.

Thanks Again Gents

Hi everyone.

Just reinstalled CFS2 on my W10 machine and having problems with the resolution size. Have read this thread and tried manually amending the CFS2.CFG however CFS2 doesnt seem to recognise this and therefore I can't enable hardware acceleration and I can only select 1920x1080x16 rather than 1920x1080x32

Any suggestions as to what I can try?

Hi Ian,

I can give you the procedure I went through...maybe it will work for you also. There's some hoops to jump thru so be patient.

1.) Cut and paste the Combat Flight Simulator 2 folder to the C: drive. Nothing will work in the Program Files (x86)

2.) Use the No Cd executable. A must.

3.) Right click on the Cfs2.exe in your Combat Flight Simulator 2 folder and then send to desktop (create shortcut).

4.) Find the shortcut on your desktop, right click, then click Run As Administrator.

5.) Find the shortcut on your desktop again, right click, properties, compatibility and Windows XP Service Pak 2.

6.) Copy and paste your CFS2.cfg. to your desktop.

7.) Open CFS2.cfg with notepad.

8.) These are snips of what I had to change manually.

Code:
    [LANGUAGE]
    DLL=english.fll
    [MAIN]
    ShowLogo=0
    ShowMovie=0
    RUNNINGBADHW=0
    Location=0,0,1920x1080
    HideMenuNormal=0
    HideMenuFullscreen=1
    Maximized=0
    [PANELS]
    IMAGE_QUALITY=1
    HUD_COLOR=1
    9.) Then scroll down to...

Code:
    PERFORMANCE_MODE=0
    DEF_PERF_MODE=6
    MAP_GROUND_TEXTURE=1
    TEXT_SCROLL=1
    PANEL_MASKING=1
    PANEL_STRETCHING=1
    AUTO_LOD=0
    TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
    IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
    DYNAMIC_SCENERY=0
    DYN_SCN_DENSITY=0
    DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
    SMOOTH_VIEW=0
    IMAGE_SMOOTHING=0
    LOD_TARGET_FPS=30
    COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
    TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
    DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
    EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
    TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=1.500000
    TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19
    TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
    MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=32186
    AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
    GROUND_SHADOWS=1
    IMAGE_QUALITY=0
    TEXTURE_BLDG=1
    TEXTURE_GND=1
    SKY_TYPE=1
    TEXTURE_WATER=1
    AIRCRAFT_TEXTURE=1
    SEE_SELF=1
    PROPELLER_VISIBLE=1
    SOUND_FADER1=0.800000
    SOUND_FADER2=0.200000
    SOUND_FADER3=0.700000
    SOUND_FADER4=0.200000
    SOUND_FADER5=0.400000
    LOADWEATHER=0
    LOW_RES_RENDERING=0
    SITUATION=
    STARTUP_DEMO=
    KNEEBOARD=0,520,304
    LOG_FILE=0
    10.) Then the last...

Code:
    [DISPLAY]
    Device=AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Mode=1920x1080x32
    Dither=0
    TriLinear=0
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1
    Fog=1

This last one will need to be updated with your graphics card name. Mine is "Device=AMD Radeon R9 200 Series" Yours will be different.

11.) Close notepad, save.

12.) Copy and paste the one on your desktop to Combat Flight Simulator 2 folder , allow overwrite or replace of whats in there.

If the Gods are smiling upon you this day, close everything, go to your desktop shortcut and double click. You'll get some permissions questions...yes, ok and your shoe size, blah, blah...Cfs2 should load.

I'm rooting for you, just needs some time,
    Dave

That was a good compilation of this thread. Thanks Dave!

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    That was a good compilation of this thread. Thanks Dave!

Greg
    I just hope it helps. Hope Ian has some success.

Speaking for myself, I almost gave up on it. But the next day I thought "No Way". This stupid electronic box is not going to beat me.
    Dang machine...

Hi Guys,

I'm pleased to say it is now working. I moved my installs on to a separate SSD and the CFG now seems to recognise the amendments I've been making. Thank you for your guidance Dv and Allen.

The only issue now is the black box when selecting aircraft. Oddly the picture of the aircraft was there before but this issue has re-appeared since I moved the install. Small problem though and one I can live with.

Now just going through the process of following Rami's ETO install guide before I install the BOB campaign.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Astill View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm pleased to say it is now working. I moved my installs on to a separate SSD and the CFG now seems to recognise the amendments I've been making. Thank you for your guidance Dv and Allen.

The only issue now is the black box when selecting aircraft. Oddly the picture of the aircraft was there before but this issue has re-appeared since I moved the install. Small problem though and one I can live with.

Now just going through the process of following Rami's ETO install guide before I install the BOB campaign.
    Your a good man Ian, Congratulations!

BTW, the only way my install will show the aircraft in the black box is by using Alt + Enter on the keyboard. This will put the sim in windows view.
    When done, do the Alt + Enter again and you will be back to full screen viewing.

Cheerz, Dave

Note pad problems

My old rig (HP-win7) is 10yrs old and showing signs of age, so I have been working to move CFS2 to my NEW win10 machine before the HP dies. So far most of my issues have been manageable. But now I've hit a wall. I can't make changes to cfg files or dp files and save them with notepad. I've set all the permissions I can find and set administrator controls, but I'm still missing something. Google search is no help, and MS help is no better. I wonder if this anything encountered and resolved by others.

Never install any old program to Program Files.

Never install any old program to Program Files.
    Rats! Ok, thanks Allen.

I have made the modifications, suggested by dvslats above, but I still get this when I try to open MB in Win 10:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_041.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

If you cycle to full screen does your monitor show resolution on one of the corners during a normal run of CFS2? Just thinking the resolution is not being read right CFS2 and if your monitor dose display resolution it would be helpful. I would also set the 1024x768x32 in the[DISPLAY] as that seem to be the normal for CFS2.

If you cycle to full screen does your monitor show resolution on one of the corners during a normal run of CFS2? Just thinking the resolution is not being read right CFS2 and if your monitor dose display resolution it would be helpful. I would also set the 1024x768x32 in the[DISPLAY] as that seem to be the normal for CFS2.
    CFS2 runs normally in both windowed and full screen. I've tried that and several other display resolution settings but no joy.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

What I want to know is what resolution CFS2 thinks it is at while in full screen mode. The only way I can think of to confirm if CFS2 is using the resolution listed in the [DISPLAY] section is to use your monitor to show resolution. Using what is listed in the [DISPLAY] may not be true and if the game is running in full screen it will NOT use resolution that you list in control panel > display settings page.

I cannot tell what resolution is used in full screen mode. The display settings read: 1920 X 1080 X 32 but as you can see in screenshot 2 it is not that. I can't seem to change it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_043.jpg   grab_042.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Is the 2nd pic done by PrintSceen key in full screen? If yes than something is vary wrong. What dose it say in the CFS2 Display Setting?

You can set every thing in the display setting BUT the Enable Hardware Acceleration Check and the Box below it. In the "Hardware" set to 1024x768x32 than in the "Image Quality" Set the sliders to Max. Check all of the Boxes and set LOD Target Frame Rate to 30. Ok on the page and okay back to the CFS2 Main screen than Exit to save. Now add the below to the CFS2.CFG. Make sure to remove any other [DISPLAY] in the CFS2.cfg.

[DISPLAY]
    Device=YOU DEVICE NAME HERE. GET IT FROM CFS2s "Display Setting" PAGE
    Mode=1024x768x32
    Dither=0
    Filter=1
    TriLinear=0
    MipMap=1
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1
    Disable=0

Is the 2nd pic done by PrintSceen key in full screen? If yes than something is vary wrong. What dose it say in the CFS2 Display Setting?

You can set every thing in the display setting BUT the Enable Hardware Acceleration Check and the Box below it. In the "Hardware" set to 1024x768x32 than in the "Image Quality" Set the sliders to Max. Check all of the Boxes and set LOD Target Frame Rate to 30. Ok on the page and okay back to the CFS2 Main screen than Exit to save. Now add the below to the CFS2.CFG. Make sure to remove any other [DISPLAY] in the CFS2.cfg.

[DISPLAY]
    Device=YOU DEVICE NAME HERE. GET IT FROM CFS2s "Display Setting" PAGE
    Mode=1024x768x32
    Dither=0
    Filter=1
    TriLinear=0
    MipMap=1
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1
    Disable=0
    It now says 1024x768x32 and yes, that was the full screen screenshot I have pasted your data into the cfs2.cfg, there is no other DISPLAY data... Tried MB again...no joy.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

The last thing I can think of is to rename your current CFS2.cfg and let CFS2 make a new one. Than do what I posted above and see if some things is janky with your current CFS2.cfg.

Thanks Allen: I tried your mods on the nstall that I am hoping to work on, a "virgin" CFS2 install and another install with no success in MB (the same message) in all 3. Free Flight works in all of them though. I doubt there is something wrong in thr cfs2,cfg of all 3.

Could the problem be tat all of the folks who have made it work in this thread seem to be upgrading from Win7 or 8.1 to Win 10 and mine is a factory loaded Win 10 computer? That seems to be the only common denominator between their success and my failure.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Enable DirectPlay in Windows 10

Hi Guys,

Has this been tried yet?

- Press the Windows key + R (Windows key between Ctrl and Alt).
    - In the Open box, type Control Panel and click OK.
    - Then, select Programs and Features.
    - Finally, click on Turn Windows Features on or off.
    - Find Legacy Components
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Legacy.jpg  

Thanks Dave. I'll give that a try as soon as I get back on my 10 laptop. I am currently involved in finishing up my MB work on a campaign, but on my Win7 system. I'l give your suggestion a try in a day or 2 and give feedback.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Hi Guys,

Has this been tried yet?

- Press the Windows key + R (Windows key between Ctrl and Alt).
    - In the Open box, type Control Panel and click OK.
    - Then, select Programs and Features.
    - Finally, click on Turn Windows Features on or off.
    - Find Legacy Components
    I just check and my Legacy Components tab was already enabled/turned on. Any other suggestions?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22 Reply...

Good morning,

I was successfully able to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 without trouble, and Mission Builder is working, so far.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Question Reply...

Good morning,

Okay, not so much. While the program works okay, new saved mission files do not appear in the MISSIONS folder, however, they are accessible in Mission Builder. In other words, they are invisible. How to fix this?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 50