Windows 10 snafu / content thread
Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 snafu / content thread

Exclamation Windows 10 snafu / content thread

anybody here got W10 and can make cfs2 work ? my rig keeps asking for admin permissions - I open as administrator and still nothing - is it me?

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=480&sort=d

For me, CFS2 actually works better in Win10 than it did in 8.1. Graphics are better, the display area is larger, framerates are better. On my system, the improvement was quite noticeable.....

Paul

W-10

Hi pstrany

glad you can make sense of it - not only didn't mine work in W10 but my Anti Virus was screwed as well - I've dumped the W10 and gone back to W7 it's simpler and does everything I need. Even going back caused my keyboard and mouse to lock up - had to do a restore to put it right.
    Anyway even balder now but sorted

cheers

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

SOH-CM-2020

cfs2 on windows10 - upgrade or new install?

Quote Originally Posted by pstrany View Post
    For me, CFS2 actually works better in Win10 than it did in 8.1. Graphics are better, the display area is larger, framerates are better. On my system, the improvement was quite noticeable.....

Paul
    Hi Paul,

did you upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1 and was CSF2 already installed on that box? Or did you install csf2 afresh after going to windows10?

Either way did you see any issues at all or was it completely smooth?

Thanks for any information from those of us that haven't dipped our toes in the windows10 waters yet!

Steve

I had done a fresh install of Windows 8, and fresh install of CFS2 on top of that. Took a while to get CFS2 to work right, and I could only run it as a windowed application. My version of CFS2 was, er, slightly modified. I had some issues with black preview windows, and the window was a little small on my monitor, but everything worked okay once I got in a plane, so I called it all good.

I upgraded several months ago to a beta version of Windows 10. CFS2, which had run adequately under Windows 8, suddenly started to pop. Better framerates, larger window (almost 99% of the screen, which is nice, considering my main monitor runs 2560 x 1440.) Just updated to 10 Pro, new drivers, the works, and everything is working great. Aside from the whole windowed application thing, CFS2 works better for me now in some ways than it ever did.

I actually have a box still running Windows XP. I won't offer comparisons, because the two systems are too different, but suffice it to say that I'm satisfied that I'll be using CFS2 for a while yet, and running it under Windows 10, because it looks and runs better (on admittedly a better machine.)

I've included full details of how this progressed. This was not some some well-planned out strategy, it is just the progression of events (and luck) that got me where I am now. Your results may (and probably will) vary.

windows 10

I had installed windows 10, it seamed that it was working ok,
    except that when I went to my installation's of CFS2 programs
    some were destroyed very badly.
    So I reverted back to win 7.
    John P.

SOH-CM-2020

thanks for this cfs2 on windows10 info

Quote Originally Posted by pstrany View Post
    I had done a fresh install of Windows 8, and fresh install of CFS2 on top of that. Took a while to get CFS2 to work right, and I could only run it as a windowed application. My version of CFS2 was, er, slightly modified. I had some issues with black preview windows, and the
    Thanks for the info Paul, very helpful. Now that I know cfs2 *can* work on windows10 I'll upgrade sometime in the next few weeks - too busy right now.

The black preview windows - sounds like the symptoms that I had when I installed cfs2 on windows7 - only for older models. It was eventually fixed by a Microsoft patch - I don't know which one.

Thanks again,

Steve

I was running CFS2 under Windows 7X64 and made the move to Windows 10.

I found as Paul did, it runs very smooth with excellent frame rates.

I have some scenery issues under 10, but the planes fly nicely in free flight.

I haven't mixed it up with any Quick Combat or missions yet.

I will try them out and let you know tomorrow.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

I made the change over. Everything went as smoothly as could be hoped. I had to reinstall my Nvidia drivers and make a slight adjustment to my sound playback settings but everything else is fine.

It Seems to be running CFS2 just fine. Certainly no worse than 8.1

Windows 10 and CFS 2

I have a contract with Microsoft for support and they fiddled with CFS 2 when I got the message to go to administrative controls. When they got done with their shenanigans the message was CFS 2 is really not compatible with Win 10. There are conditions wherein it works ... like when running in compatibility mode with Windows XP is operative. I am going to contact Rami the software CFS 2 Guru and zen-master to see if he has a fix. Other wise I guess I'll go back to CFS 3 ETO.

Gib Brown
    browngib

I got my free upgrade to Win 10 yesterday. Within minutes I had CFS2 up and running at unprecedented frame rates. My rig is an HP Pavilion with standard Intel HP graphics.

I also had CFS2 running perfectly in Win 8.0 when my rig was hijacked without my permission and Win 8.1 was installed, which accomplished nothing except to afflict CFS2 with graphics palsy. I did a clean wipe after the first hijacking, reverting back to Win 8.0. Problem solved.

But then yet another unauthorized hijacking occurred while I slept, and I was back to 8.1 and nonfunctionality again, even after I had taken steps to prevent any further meddling. At this point I gave up on the idea of running CFS2 on this computer. Apparently a massive conspiracy was afoot tp prevent me from ever being able to run CFS2 at the frame rates this machine is capable of.

So. When the offer of a free upgrade to Win 10 came, I figured I had nothing to lose, so I went for it.

Wonder of wonders. CFS2 is back again. And I didn't even lose CFS3 in the process.

So, yes. CFS2 will function under Win 10, quite well, after any gremlins afflicting your version have been banished. Run it in a full screen sized window.

Rami

This is a very informational thread. Shouldn't it be promoted to "sticky" status?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I’ve got my Windows 10 (64bit) update today without problems.
    Then I installed CFS2 and for the first time I had problems to run the sim! I tried the compatibility modus (Win XP) no success, started with admin rights, no success, reboot the PC, no success!
    Then I tried another option, I have an old backup of CFS2 on a separate hard drive, I opened it clicked on the CFS2 exe, than a popup window appeared “ Windows 10 direct play feature “ is necessary, I clicked on Ok, a short download and install was done, and voila CFS2 runs as before.
    Unfortunately the black aircraft preview Window is still there for me .

So if you can’t run CFS2 try the “Windows 10 direct play feature”

wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Wolfi,

You can get rid of the black aircraft screen by running CFS2 in window mode.

Window mode also quadrupled my frame rates.

Start the game and hit Alt+Enter. You may need to drag the window into a centered position with the mouse. Then you can size it or full-screen it.

W 10

all this new info about CFS2 in Windows 10 prompts me to consider having another go with it - I reckon if others have successfully upgraded then I owe it to myself to have another go - this 'direct play feature' sounds like the answer

thanks guys I'll keep you posted

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Maybe interesting and informative link about “Turn on direct play”

wolfi

Turn on direct play to use older games... windows 8, 8.1.1 and 10
    https://windowsforum.com/threads/tur...and-10.205952/

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

W 10

Have re-installed Windows 10 and no amount of opening as administrator, trouble-shooting, direct play on or working in previous Windows ( any version )will allow me to open either of my CFS2 installs - even tried a completely new install of CFS2 in Program Files (x89) and then in Documents - same result - anyone got any ideas because I'm down to my last brain cell.

cheers

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Make a copy of your CFS2 folder (I suggest a basic install) on an USB stick, then click on the CFS2.exe, that was the moment for me when the popup window appeared with “direct play” I than clicked on OK and a small download and install was done, after that CFS2 works as before for me.

wolfi

Hi Wolfi

My two cfs2 installs are on an external hard drive - I've got the 'direct play' box checked in the Windows features part of the control panel - open as administrator via the cfs2.exe - absolutely no response apart from asking if it's ok to alter pc ???

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

I've had it with Windows 10 I've gone back to Windows 7

cheers

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Addition to my first post.

Windows 10 had updated twice on me now.
    The first time it cost me hours of work to repair the MBR because my machine would no longer recognize any of my hard drives.

Once I got it running again, it worked fine until the update last night.

This morning I am back to square one: No HDs on my machine recognized.

I will spend the day repairing my MBR AGAIN!
    As soon as I finish I am reverting back to Windows 7.

I am on my laptop now, but no CFS2.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Reverting to Windows 7 causes problems as well --wiped out my antivirus -- locked the keyboard and mouse -- had to do a Repair computer via bios and on top of that Chrome now says 'your connection is not private' and since it's not the time setting I don't know how to fix that ( IE11's ok ) -- so as far as I'm concerned Microsoft can shove Windows 10 right where the sun don't shine ( but at least CFS2 works )

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Quote Originally Posted by baldy View Post
    Reverting to Windows 7 causes problems as well --wiped out my antivirus -- locked the keyboard and mouse -- had to do a Repair computer via bios and on top of that Chrome now says 'your connection is not private' and since it's not the time setting I don't know how to fix that ( IE11's ok ) -- so as far as I'm concerned Microsoft can shove Windows 10 right where the sun don't shine ( but at least CFS2 works )

baldy
    I have win7 on my wife's laptop. Got the stupid window update on the task bar. I had to fight to get it off. now her computer runs like crap. Way to mess everything up MS. Awesome work as usual. No win10 here. They can go pound sand as far as I'm conserned. I think I'll go buy a Mac.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

XP...not the latest but still the best in the whole line

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Cheers to all,

For those that do not want Windows 10 or the Update Icon on their desktop I have a link to directions that state how to remove the icon (incase I missed it already mentioned in the thread please accept my lack of reading). I'm going to give it a go but haven't tried it yet.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/06/0...-upgrade-icon/

Update: I gave it a go and followed the directions. I have no Windows 10 Update Icon now and the PC is running fine.
    If I want Windows 10 in the future I think I know where I can find it without that icon always appearing.
    Last edited by Oglivie; August 19th, 2015 at 16:57. Reason: Update

Members who have read this thread: 50