Windows 10 snafu / content thread - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 snafu / content thread

Dose the game start at all? Dose it have an internet connection? If No, you may be fighting Game Explorer or update KB3086255 with Win7.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Snafu

Hello and thank you Allen for your reply,

The game does not start at all, just gives the standard "Search internet for solution", or " Close program" choices.
    I do, and the game does, have access to the internet.
    I DO have update KB 3086255 installed......

That makes me think that Safedisc, the disc check program can't run because MS removed SafeDisc and SecuROM with update KB3086255. You can try to remove KB3086255 if you are on Win 7 or 8 and try again or use the NoCD.exe. If you are running Win 10 using the NoCD.exe is a must as the drivers and other things for Safedisc never came with Win 10.

You will have to internet search for the CFS2 NoCD.exe

It works!!

Hello Allen! and all CFS2 enthusiasts!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I removed the KB 3086255 update, as well as some previously unknown Registry entries, and....what a surprise. My game is now playable....Hooooorah!

However, I wonder if you or anyone could please explain to me the risk I run, if any, having removed this update on my 5 year old Win 7 x64 system. Is this a concern when I go online? I have a regular (meaning free) anti-virus program always running which comes with the online subscription.

What functions do these SafeDisc and SecuRom perform?

Last but not least, if I determine it is neccessary to reinstall above update, I wonder if I could be pointed in the right direction for a safe download of this cfs2 nocd.exe)))))) (I do own 3 different CD 2 disc sets)

Cheers!

MS never said what risk caused the removal of SafeDisc/SecuRom. All SafeDisc/SecuRom dose is check and make sure you have the real disk in the CD drive before fully starting the game.

Last I knew it was SOH policy to NOT give anything more than Google for CFS2 NoCD.exe. A stupid policy in my mind as MS willing broke there own games that we paid for and won't make patches for them and since MS won't fix there own games we should be able to host the .exe just fine as the .exe by it self is useless and will show errors of you try to use it with out the rest of the game files.

Hi 12happyjack34, as you are running W7 you could try the nifty tool made by Justflight to enable or disable secdrv on W7/W8. It's free to download and works very well.
    Just flight made it to enable you to re-install their old boxed software.

https://support.justflight.com/en/su...and-windows-10

Doesn't work on W10 as they removed the Secdrv components.

Good Info friends!

I wonder if this SecDrv nonsense is preventing my other Non-Microsoft older CD games from playing as well...Anyway, What a pleasure to play my all-time favorite again for the first time in years (fingers crossed) on a halfway decent system!

I downloaded the tool from JustFlight, erican2. Thank you for the lead and now I have that resource.

Thanks again Allen! I hope you don't mind if I reach out to you in the near future as I slowly but surely get back in tune with all of the new planes, terrains, campaigns, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by erican2 View Post
    Hi 12happyjack34, as you are running W7 you could try the nifty tool made by Justflight to enable or disable secdrv on W7/W8. It's free to download and works very well.
    Just flight made it to enable you to re-install their old boxed software.

https://support.justflight.com/en/su...and-windows-10

Doesn't work on W10 as they removed the Secdrv components.
    For those who give a rip, no nifty tools for W10, but if you don't mind getting "surgical", this should help: https://appuals.com/enable-secdrv-sys/

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Windows 10 help

Hi everyone,
    My old computer died and I have decided to go with a new computer running Widows 10. I know many folks run CFS2 on OS 10. I have the game loaded but cannot get the graphics card "check box" to work. I believe someone had a similar issue a few months back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    msfossey

Thanks Allen, working with your tutorial and will let you know how it goes.

msfossey

Library Staff
    Hi Folks,

I've merged a couple of Windows 10 related threads into this main one. I was prompted to do this after taking the dreaded step of installing CFS2 on my Windows 10 computer. I've been running it on my Windows 7 computer for years.

I'm having the same problem as Miccasharon. My card is a GeForce GTX 1050 ti.

It's been a few years since this post. Any new ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

PS - I forgot to mention I used Allen's Win10 installation guide - thanks Allen - but still no joy. Everything works but I'm getting a poor quality pixelated picture.

Quote Originally Posted by miccasharon View Post
    Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my system.
    I installed new graphic card and change operating system to Windows 10.

Though cfs2 is running and I can play games, I cant enable graphic card acceleration.

On display setting menu, it seems game detects graphic card but can't check the box of "enable hardware acceleration"

anybody have an idea how to fix this?

I tried to change security settings of Win10 and run the game as administrator, also tried to run the game in Win7 compatible mode but no joy.

My card is Geforce GTX960.

Yuki
    Last edited by kdriver; November 11th, 2020 at 09:38.

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Hi Folks,

I've merged a couple of Windows 10 related threads into this main one. I was prompted to do this after taking the dreaded step of installing CFS2 on my Windows 10 computer. I've been running it on my Windows 7 computer for years.

I'm having the same problem as Miccasharon. My card is a GeForce GTX 1050 ti.

It's been a few years since this post. Any new ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

PS - I forgot to mention I used Allen's Win10 installation guide - thanks Allen - but still no joy. Everything works but I'm getting a poor quality pixelated picture.
    Had the same (I haven't read the guide though) - just manually edit the .cfg file - you should find the [DISPLAY] bit a little way down the page.
    on mine I put;

[DISPLAY]
    Device=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    Mode=1920x1080x32
    AntiAlias=1

I recall I probably changed a few other things slightly further up the page - shadows etc - basically compared with the .cfg file that I had on my windows 7 installation and copied all the settings.

You can edit every thing but the hardware acceleration check box with Win10 and should have no problem with any other settings and once done exit CFS2 THAN edit CFS2.CFG's [DISPLAY] so the hardware acceleration is on.

Library Staff
    Yes, I edited the cfs2.cfg file as instructed, as well as trying a few other combinations, all to no avail.

I'm not experiencing any of the other problems encountered, such as a black aircraft selection box or having to use windowed mode.

I have a feeling the onboard graphics card is still in play, even though I disabled it in the device manager. There are hardly any controls in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.

What do your 2 Display Setting pages look like?

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Yes, I edited the cfs2.cfg file as instructed, as well as trying a few other combinations, all to no avail.

I'm not experiencing any of the other problems encountered, such as a black aircraft selection box or having to use windowed mode.

I have a feeling the onboard graphics card is still in play, even though I disabled it in the device manager. There are hardly any controls in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.

attached, to compare (or just rename and use/try out) my monitor is 2560 x 1440, which is in near the top of the file, but the dsiplay settings, further down, don't seem to cope with anything higher than 1920 x 1080 x 32.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like nothing was edited at all. I did the edits and forget getting a resolution like that. This is a game from 2000 built on an engine from 1997.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Looks like nothing was edited at all. I did the edits and forget getting a resolution like that. This is a game from 2000 built on an engine from 1997.

Not sure what you are talking about? - The file I attached was to show what is working with my system, where CFS2 also failed to recognise the graphics card. As I stated, I simply copied the settings from my older windows 7 machine and ammended the description of the graphics card, and everything works fine, at the resolution I've put (on both machines). Older machine has a 750 Ti, which CFS2 had no problem recognising.

You should probably have chosen a differen name for your file rather than simply copying mine otherwise it's confusing?

None of the needed changes for Win10 were in the file at all. Using cfg from Win7 will NOT have the needed key for Win10.

None of the needed changes for Win10 were in the file at all. Using cfg from Win7 will NOT have the needed key for Win10.

It works absolutely fine on my pc, which was the point of providing it. It's not good to be changing it and re-posting without re-naming it (so it's clear you have changed it), otherwise it's going to be confusing and unhelpful.

Library Staff
    Hi Allen and Richard,

After installing CFS2 from the CD on the Win10 computer and not getting a good picture, I copied the Win7 cfs2.cfg file to the Win10 computer, only changing the name of the graphics card - still no luck.

I applied Allen's settings to that file without success.

No matter what 32 bit aspect ratios I put in the cfg file, I only get a list of 16 bit ratios on the advanced settings page after starting CFS2. The Win7 computer has both 16 and 32 bit ratios listed.

Kevin

Again. You are stuck with 16 bit images because hardware acceleration isn't enabled and must be enabled by editing the cfs2.cfg [DISPLAY] section.

Library Staff
    And again I've edited the cfs2.cfg display section as per your instructions.

Members who have read this thread: 52