Windows 10 snafu / content thread - Page 7
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 snafu / content thread

Thanks to all of you,I am flying.
    Killer Svend

When open free flight and click on a plane to use, it does'nt show up in the window, it remains black, any solution?
    Killer Svend

Change from full screen to window mode or vice versa.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Windows 10 Problem

Has anyone instelled CFS1 to windows 10?
    If so and how do you get it to work?
    Thanks ,John

Hi John
    I do not have CFS1 but I have CFS2 installed and working in Windows 10 Home Edition
    This is how it works for me.

CFS2 is installed in C/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games.
    CFS2.exe is set to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (service pack 2)
    It is being run as an administrator.
    All users / administrators have:
    Full Control
    Modify
    Read and Execute
    Read
    Write
    'ticked'

You can right click on the CFS2.exe file to open up these features.

You can try this with CFS1
    Good Luck
    Cheers
    Stuart

Try this: I heard it works on 10 also:

WinVista,7,8
    Ultimate fix
    Ultimate fix for Running CFS1 in Vista, Win7 or Win 8, easy install ****
    By Hubbabubba with help from friends.

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Utilities.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

If you install games in program files (x86) you are probably asking for problems, I made a new game file called C:\old games, installed cfs1 in it , clicked the exe and voila everything was running imidiately, it was a lot easier than cfs 2,and to comfort you cfs3 is the worst,stay away from it.
    good luck
    Killer Svend

I have CFS 1 installed on a 32 bit machine and CFS 2 and CFS 3 installed on a 64 bit machine, all are installed in the root directory C:\. You can create a directory there called Microsoft Games or whatever works for you but do not install them in C:\Program Files (x86) Windows 10 doesn't like it there. Do right click on the .exe file in the game folder and change the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP 2 or 3 and check the Run as Administrator box at the bottom of the dialogue box. Then right drag a new short cut to the desk top to replace the original one.

Don't avoid CFS 3, just make sure you get the 2 update files, but otherwise just follow the same install instructions and edit the .exe file.

Quote Originally Posted by johannesl View Post
    I have CFS 1 installed on a 32 bit machine and CFS 2 and CFS 3 installed on a 64 bit machine, all are installed in the root directory C:\. You can create a directory there called Microsoft Games or whatever works for you but do not install them in C:\Program Files (x86) Windows 10 doesn't like it there. Do right click on the .exe file in the game folder and change the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP 2 or 3 and check the Run as Administrator box at the bottom of the dialogue box. Then right drag a new short cut to the desk top to replace the original one.Don't avoid CFS 3, just make sure you get the 2 update files, but otherwise just follow the same install instructions and edit the .exe file.
    Thanks you, Guys for your help.

Me Too John

I don't have Windows 10 but I'm to make the switch soon. I wanted to thank everyone as well for this perfect thread. Obviously, the less time I spend "Monkeying" with Windows equals more time mod'ing this sim. Hmm . . . gives me no excuse for not getting anything done. I'll work on that.

Thanks again all,
    Sam

Let me add more to this. I ran across this on Win7 but may happen with 8/10 as well. Game Explorer (GameUX.dll) from the fine folks as M$ will try to phone home and if you have no internet the game will NOT start. I had to remove or rename the GameUX.dll in C:Windows/SysWOW64 and C:Windows/System32

Icon5

Allen..... I've haven't had internet for about 5 years and have had no issues with "gameux.dll" calling home.. on win 7
    ..must of been sumthin else... games work fine on 7

Cheerz mav

Well it came up on my Desktop PC that has no internet. No sign of gameux.dll on my Laptop as I think I nuked it 2 years ago. Just putting it out there in case some one finds that CFS2 will not start but CFS2 running in Task Manager with Rundll.exe linking to GameUX.dll

Cool

It's fine to disable it..... but DON'T DELETE it... could fine problems down the line..... have had my share of lite or customized win 7.... running 1 now with gameux.dll still there just disabled..... win 7 can be a real bitch when deleting stuff...chances are if you run scannow.... it will probably fix it with backup in winsxs folder

Cheerz mav

Finally!

I have an HP Win 10 system and couldn't get CFS2 to work for anything for months. Well, I downloaded and installed DirectX-9, set my CFS2.exe compatibility to Win XP SP 3, loaded several, plus a clean, new install to my C Drive in a newly created CFS2 folder, fired them up in the windowed mode and lo... they work at last! Now I can get back to some mission building.

The thing that did it I think was having the installs in a folder, other than the default Program Files (X86) folder. Dumb-assed me!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Shadow,

I had issues with the Program Files (X86) folder also for CFS2 installation on Windows 8.1 OS. I couldn't make editing changes to the cfg files, the changes would not update the files. If I recall some files in CFS2 were deleted also in the Program Files (X86) folder. Rather than going through the Windows administrator menus to fix it, I created a new folder for CFS2 in the C:\ root folder like you did and it worked.

I have a couple of XP machines that I prefer to use for CFS2 and for the CFS2 utilities. The 8.1 I primarily use just for the internet mostly. Windows 8.1 is on an HP laptop and there is some graphic issues that exist with CFS2. The aircraft selection window won't operate correctly in window mode or full screen. Older airplanes, designed with FDS 1 or the older Gmax programs, are a no go graphically in the sim, and some parts that break of stock CFS2 aircraft are of weird shapes that are unidentifiable. Knowing this now I probably should have opted for the graphic hardware upgrade when I purchased the laptop, but I have the XP machines for CFS2 that are still plugging away.

Best Regards,
    O

Thanks Oglivie. I ran into a problem with Mission Builder in this and another, otherwise working, install. When I start MB I get a message as shown in the screenshot below. When I click ok, it crashes. I tried various resolution settings both on the computer and in game advanced display settings. Also, when I try to crank MB up via the CFO tab, I get the same result.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution or some ideas? My resolution by default is normally 1920 X 1080 and uses the intel, not the Nvidia video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_005.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Thanks Oglivie. I ran into a problem with Mission Builder in this and another, otherwise working, install. When I start MB I get a message as shown in the screenshot below. When I click ok, it crashes. I tried various resolution settings both on the computer and in game advanced display settings. Also, when I try to crank MB up via the CFO tab, I get the same result.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution or some ideas? My resolution by default is normally 1920 X 1080 and uses the intel, not the Nvidia video.
    Any suggestions???
    "De Oppresso Liber"

What does your CFS2.cfg have under Display?

Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaflappy View Post
    What does your CFS2.cfg have under Display?
    [DISPLAY]
    Device=Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (\\.\DISPLAY1)
    Mode=1366x768x32
    AntiAlias=1
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I copied an install of cfs2 from my Win7 computer in which MB works fine. I tried it on the Win10 laptop and had the same problem. CFS2 game works fine, but when I try MB, I get the same message as above and the sim crashes.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Hi Shadow Wolf,
    I had a similar problem going over to Win 10. I tried replacing the Objects DP folder with the Objects DP folder from a basic install. It worked so I assumed the problem was with the number of objects. That now seems not to be the case as I've moved most of the DP files across from the old folder to the new one without getting an error message. Just to allow the sim to get used to more files in the Objects folder I started it after adding about 10 DPs.
    This was with one install. Starting another install in Win 10 gave me no problems either with the sim or MB, but that was on a different drive so there may be a few variables there.

Ravenna: I will try my "virgin install" of cfs2 and see if MB works when I get home. As I recall, I don't think it works either.

Does anyone recall the max number of dps for the Objects DP folder - I forgot.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Ravenna: I will try my "virgin install" of cfs2 and see if MB works when I get home. As I recall, I don't think it works either.

Does anyone recall the max number of dps for the Objects DP folder - I forgot.
    Just had this problem. Roughly 1600 - 1700 dps. I'm running just over 1700 now with no issue.

...and I have 1248, so that should not be an issue in my case.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 52