Windows 10 snafu / content thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 snafu / content thread

Thank you Oglivie, I think you have done all of us who are not impressed with Windows 10 a service - I've just got rid of the irritating little icon.

cheers

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=480&sort=d

Seems odd to me that so many people are having issues with the swap. Mine really couldn't have gone any smoother!

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by baldy View Post
    Thank you Oglivie, I think you have done all of us who are not impressed with Windows 10 a service - I've just got rid of the irritating little icon.

cheers

baldy
    Baldy,

I just did the same thing. Thanks, Oglivie!

One thing though...make sure you go back into Windows Update and hide the update so that it doesn't attempt to slip it through the five-hole again.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Icon22 Windows 10 icon

Now that is a good heads up Oglivie.

Thank you so much.

John Pirnie

Alert!!!!!!

Do not install the update of, Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)

Download size: 664 KB - 763 KB

This will put back the icon for windows 10 in the tray

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Oglivie,

I echo what everyone else has said: Thanks very much for the link to the "Darn you Microsoft!" article.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Astill View Post
    Seems odd to me that so many people are having issues with the swap. Mine really couldn't have gone any smoother!
    Same here. Which is good, because I don't have any other viable option for running CFS2 at warp speed. Win 8 worked, but MS kept hijacking my Win 8 and installing 8.1, which had issues with CFS2. After the second hijackiing, I gave up and surrendered to 8.1. I still had CFS2 on my laptop, but it's much slower than my PC.

But Win 10 runs CFS2 great. Frame rates are sky-high, and the highest possible graphics resolution actually works better than the lower res graphics. And it self-installed without a hitch.

I suppose MS has the bugs worked out for our machines, but not so much for some of the others.

You are all welcome. I'm glad to read that some of you like Windows 10 and had no issues with it, but for those that had problems or did not want Windows 10 I'm glad to help out.

Personally at this time I am not interested in installing Windows 10. I may do so at a later time when my work schedule slows down so I have time to resolve problems if any occurr after the install. Windows 8.1 is my only internet access PC at this time and I am sceptical that I will mess up an install some how (that's how things have been going lately). From what I read though XP still appears to be my preference for CFS2.

Rami, Thank You for the 'hide update' info.

Best Regards

Thanks for the information. I have CFS 3 on windows 10, after reading this, going to reenstall CFS2. Anyone have CFS1 running on win 10?

Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Retired Master Chief Petty Officer, USN.
    Windows 7 64bit Professional Operating System.
    Processor: Intel Dual Core E-8400(3.0GigHz)
    Video: GTX-250 768 megs.
    Ram: 4096 megs.
    HD: 320gig W/D

Win 10

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3092627)

Watch out for this update it will try to put the windows 10 icon back into the task bar.
    John Pirnie

If you would like to hide this, just right hand click the update and click on HIDE.

windows 10

Today from How to Geek, they say that Microsoft
    Has put out a fix for not downloading win 10.
    How-To Geek [newsletter@howtogeek.com]
    John Pirnie

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Thanks JP,

I deleted the folder with no problems. I had earlier successfully uninstalled kB3035583 and hidden it from my Windows update. Hopefully that will be the last I see or hear about Windows 10 until I am bloody well interested and ready to choose to download and install it.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Hi John

Read the How to Geek and the Microsoft stuff - not sure I understood a word of it - except none of it mentioned Windows 7 Home premium so I think I'm safe ( fingers crossed )

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=480&sort=d

I'm up and running again and thinking about getting a high-speed Legacy PC with a large HD to run XP and CFS2 on.

I think my issues were with Windows 10 not liking 3 HDs and 2 DVD/CD.

That setup seemed to be too tech savvy for Windows 10 to comprehend so it just deleted the Master Boot Record showing all of the drives and that was that.
    Problem was that I had to manually get the machine to boot into dos and then Windows 10 to even use it.

We all KNOW what support from M$ is like.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................

I almost took my PC to a computer repair shop to get it up and running again.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

I still can't get CFS2 to run - FS9 & FSX run fine, as does GPL. I like W10, but, perhaps build up a computer without as high a spec just for CFS2..........I've got a "new" box and components sitting around under the desk half finished - from 2011......finish it off, throw on W7 pro and use the super laptop for everything else.

Plane Tours no longer displays aircraft

I can run CFS2 with no problems (so far) apart from Plane Tours. This no longer works because there is no support for .hlp files in Windows 10. When you click on Plane Tours you get referred to MS and message Feature not supported. There are fixes for Windows 7 and 8.1 but not (yet?) for Windows 10. Sorry if this has already been mentioned

The Plane Tours don't work with Win7 as well. None of the .hlp file work with Win7. This include the in game help (F1 key I think) and MB help.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

.hlp files in Windows 10

Although there is no fix for .hlp files in Windows 10 there is a recommended download for Windows 7 on the MS site. Either of two files applies; "Windows6.1-KB917607-x86.msu" or "Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu". Hope this helps you Allen.

Eureka!
    As a last resort, with nothing to lose, I copied a "No CD" exe file into the folder. After springing up with a "direct play" download thingy, which didn't work, because I'm running DirectX 12, CFS2 burst into life as normal. I can now get to work and reinstall the 4 versions I had before.

I'm also having trouble with CFS2 on Windows 10. I saw this thread and thought I'd see if anyone could help. I removed CFS2 before upgrading Windows 10, which I believe was my downfall. I loaded CFS2 and nothing. I gave it admin rights and compatability settings with no results. Tried a ton of different fixes but nothing works. For me, I click on the icon and you see the "loading circle" for a second then it just stops. That's all I get. I'm curious..... For those of you that have CFS2 working, did you have it installed while upgrading to Windows 10 or did you re-install after the upgrade? Any help would be appreciated.

richdrag5,

Did you install (from the CDs) to the default location? The newer OS really don't like any exe that keeps on writing changes back to the sim folder. This is exactly what CFS 2 does the most... The default locations carry "special" protections, because MS thinks we're all thick.

CFS2 installs & tries to run in full screen mode, with the start up movie. Lots of hardware/OS combinations really don't like the Full Screen mode any more, but are happy as Larry with it running within a window, even when that window is (almost) full screen. It could be the full screen movie intro where the sim is hanging.

Going back to Windows 7 and 8, I could not download from the DVD's so I copied the contents to my drive and downloaded from there. It worked in the past so I figured it would be fine. I tried to download CFS2 to several different location on the hard drive after reading about that in this post but nothing. Never thought about the opening movie. Do I just delete it from the folder? How would I ensure it opens in a window instead of full screen? Thanks for the reply.

Finally got it working. Went back through the post again and tried the "No CD.exe" fix. Searched the internet and found one. Dropped it in and it worked like a charm. Great suggestions and posts. Thanks for the help!

SOH-CM-2020

CFS2 on Win10

Quote Originally Posted by richdrag5 View Post
    I'm also having trouble with CFS2 on Windows 10. I saw this thread and thought I'd see if anyone could help. I removed CFS2 before upgrading Windows 10, which I believe was my downfall. I loaded CFS2 and nothing. I gave it admin rights and compatability settings with no results. Tried a ton of different fixes but nothing works. For me, I click on the icon and you see the "loading circle" for a second then it just stops. That's all I get. I'm curious..... For those of you that have CFS2 working, did you have it installed while upgrading to Windows 10 or did you re-install after the upgrade? Any help would be appreciated.
    I see you did get it working eventually, good stuff.

I've been meaning to post on this matter anyway, so in answer to your question which may also help others - I upgraded from win7 (with 28 working installs of cfs2) to win10. My CFS2 installs are all installed to a folder c:\flightsims and all the CFS2.exe files are set to run as administrator.

I've seen two problems with cfs2 on windows 10:

1) twice when I have started a flight the window gets minimised and there is no way to swap back to it (can't use ctrl-tab or task manager etc to get back to it). I had to kill cfs2 and restart it - then everything worked fine.

2) if I try to fly an aircraft with "render_3d_window=1" in the panel.cfg I get a crash-to-desktop (CTD). Just change the offending line to render_3d_window=0

Other than that I haven't had any problems that I wasn't already seeing on XP and win7 (e.g. 100 aircraft limit). So CFS2 *can* work fine on windows10.

I would say this though - I don't like the windows10 user interface at all. I would say that unless you have a good reason to be on windows10, stay with windows7.

Cheers,

Steve

Procedure to Install CFS2 on Windows 10?

Okay,

I searched the forum and am missing the thread that addressed CFS2 and Windows 10.
    What is the key?
    I installed it normally, but it will not run when I click the desktop icon.
    It will not run when I go to the location and click it in the CFS2 folder.
    It will not run if I right click and run as administrator.
    It will not run in XP compatibility mode.

I do not like green eggs and ham.

DD73
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Icon22 Reply...

Devildog73,

Take a big wooden mallet, position it over your computer, and begin to swing the mallet back and forth in a hammering motion that creates substantial force. Repeat motion until all parts are thoroughly smashed and frustration is eliminated. Then whip until thoroughly mixed and bake at 350 for forty-five minutes.

Just kidding...look here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...hlight=Windows
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 50