Windows 10 upgrade in regards to FS9

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade in regards to FS9

Icon28 Windows 10 upgrade in regards to FS9

Regarding Windows 10 and those of us who fly the FS9 version of Roy's excellent B-25 Mitchell, I'd be a bit hesitant before I upgraded....

From the FSX Forums: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0-Upgrade-quot

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

On My Dedicated Tower CP win7...FS9 only...Win 10 has denied access..Until I find a solution,FS9 is unusable in Win 10 for me..

Im having a problem running it in Win10 anyone know how to get it working.

I have not taken the WinX plunge yet, however I have read elsewhere that you need to use the no-CD FS9.exe to get FS9 to run on WinX.

IIUC, optical drive support in WinX is.....lacking.

cheers,
    Lane

I'm not running Win10 but try a fresh install of FS9 somewhere on the HD like "C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 9" (no quotes). Not sure what to do about the lack of optical disc support. Hard to fathom that MS would create a new OS that didn't support MS Flight Simulator.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    I'm not running Win10 but try a fresh install of FS9 somewhere on the HD like "C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 9" (no quotes). Not sure what to do about the lack of optical disc support. Hard to fathom that MS would create a new OS that didn't support MS Flight Simulator.

BB686
    I hope not, but maybe this is Microsoft's way of saying "Well, we shut ACES down, and with the response we received about MS Flight, this is the way we say GOODBYE to the FS Community, once and for all."

BTW... does the No CD patch work for W7 64?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    BTW... does the No CD patch work for W7 64?
    Yes, it does.

Thanks, Maarten!

Alan

I haven't downloaded Windows 10 myself (yet). I do have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I installed all three (!) FS2004 sims straight on the root, avoiding Program Files hitches:
    - for 1950s-60s scenery C:\Flight Simulator
    - for pre-WW2 scenery C:\Flight Simulator Golden Wings 3
    - for modern scenery C:\Flight Simulator UT

I'm wondering if that would work out well for Windows 10 also. Just an idea.

Cheers,
    Maarten

You also need 9.1 installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    I hope not, but maybe this is Microsoft's way of saying "Well, we shut ACES down, and with the response we received about MS Flight, this is the way we say GOODBYE to the FS Community, once and for all."
    I doubt that it's intended to make a statement. I think it's just that there's no reason to make the new operating system support a program that's hasn't been supported or developed further since four operating systems ago.

As for Flight, I think it's very development and introduction was MS's way of saying Goodbye to the FS community. They didn't see simmers as a large enough market to cater to any longer, so they developed Flight for the game market. By the time they saw that the gamers didn't go for it, they'd already written us off. They probably never expected the FS community to embrace Flight.

Paul Domingue's comments in the FSX thread on this topic says he has FS9 running fine, and how he did it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Fs9 in windows 10

Thanks for that Milton,

To summarise:

1. FS9 must be upgraded to the FS9.1 version

2. The 'start FS9 without a CD inserted' file/app must have been installed and tested.

3. Remove any password you have put on your existing Windows installation before upgrading.

Sounds all good to me . . . anyone done it yet?

Mal

I installed FS9 and CFS2 in 8.1, then upgraded months ago to Win10 (beta) and finally to Win 10 Pro. Though CFS2 ran in 8.1, it actually runs much better for me under Win 10. Interestingly, FS9 was a mess in 8.1, and barely worked under the beta 10, but now it is actually working (though the preview window is still black.) It is a pain getting into the sim, but once in, graphics are smooth, and it runs well. I'm having some issues with specific animations, but I'm still sorting that out.

I have the original installation, with the CD crack in place, in both cases....

Paul `

Gents, with the relationship that SOH has had with MS in the past, we've always been leery of discussing the no-CD file. But... due to the nature of this thread, I'm not going to squash the issue of using it. That being said, if anyone doesn't have it and wants to speak with a user that does, don't even do it in PM here. Get the user's email and discuss any file transfers completely away from SOH. Thanks!

Edit: I'm also going to stick this thread to make it easier to find. It seems quite a few are having the same issue.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Windows TEN upgrade results: A plus

Greetings all,

While I am not an expert on OS or Microsoft, here is my results on upgrading two DELL OptiPlex SF model 745 systems to Windows Pro TEN
    and Windows TEN. It went without a single problem. Both FS 9 and FS X are running well in both. One system is a 64 bit and the other is
    32 bit. Both FS 9 installs use the 9.1 patch and the No-CD patch. The FSX installs are with ACCEL. I am very happy with my experience.
    Take care and good luck.

Ed

This evening I made the step and installed Windows X. The installation went smooth, however once finished my PC only wanted to run in 1024 x 768 resolution as Windows X didn't recognise my GeForce GTX760. But after an additional reboot it worked fine.

My FSX install worked without problems immediately, however my SilverWings and GoldenWings needed an extra program called directview. After a black screen a forced shutdown both my FS9 installls work, however like Paul, I have a black preview screen. Which I haven't been able to fix until now.

Although I have only fired up my flightsims a few times, I have the idea that both FSX and FS9 run load faster and smoother under Windows X.

Cheers,
    Huub

Edit: Not that I'm really testing all aspects, but I have had problem with switching back from windowed mode to fullscreen. When I switched to full screen the full size screen was black and FS9 remained the same size as it was windowed. It doesn't happen every time, but I have the feeling there is a minor conflict between Windows X and my Geforece GTX760 video card.

Fs9 on windows 10

Took the plunge last night and - so far all looks good. Still exploring various set ups and conditions to see how stable the old FS9 is in this latest rendition of Windows.

Overall first impression is one of a slightly crisper renditions of textures and smoother responses all round in the flt regime and other areas.

Will post any glitches that come up.

Mal

Users experiencing the black screens can consider doing the following:

- upgrade the video drivers to the latest ones of your given manufacturer (and disable the updating of your drivers by windows in the advanced system settings)
    - install the latest DirectX version (FS9 = DirectX9c)
    - Make sure they have the older dot net versions (.net 2.0 and 3.5)

Hope this helps!

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by napacon View Post
    On My Dedicated Tower CP win7...FS9 only...Win 10 has denied access..Until I find a solution,FS9 is unusable in Win 10 for me..
    Select the FS9 directory properties and untick "read only". One of the nastier habbits that W10 has inherited from Win8.1.

Johan

Moving to the Tips and Tweaks section...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks for the Advice!

I followed the advice on the FSX thread related to Windows 10, and clicked alt+enter when the initial screen went black, and FS9 was back in windowed mode. As long as I stay in windowed mode, I've got a smooth running, and I think faster frame rate FS9 than I did under Windows 7. I'm very grateful for all the expertise here!

Obviously still no joy with running FS9/2004 in WIN10 ? .. I had it running fine and have not used it since horrid WIN10 decided it was going to install a few months back, today wanted to have a look at some scenery or rebuild and DIDDLY SWAT ! ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Obviously still no joy with running FS9/2004 in WIN10 ? .. I had it running fine and have not used it since horrid WIN10 decided it was going to install a few months back, today wanted to have a look at some scenery or rebuild and DIDDLY SWAT ! ..
    Lots of joy here.. using no-cd patch.

The problem people, is that the original Fs9 disc's came with a digital rights management software embedded, that installed when you first ran the disc / a disc with it on. (we'll call it DRM for now).

Microsoft found out that DRM software ( 2 major players being SafeDisc and SecuRom ) could possibly allow a hacker to take remote control of a computer system with those DRM so removed whatever it was in Windows that allowed the DRM to run when they published Win10, and for Win Vista, 7 and up disabled it via a 'security patch' KB3086255 (all of this info can be found on via google btw --- > http://www.howtogeek.com/230773/how-...8-7-and-vista/ & https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...?page=5&auth=1), ie DRM was deliberately 'broken' by Microsoft to better protect Windows systems from hacking.

To-date there are/were only 2 possible work-arounds for this for fs9 if you have Win 10; and possibly the option 2 (below) has now been disabled by Microsoft.

1) Find the no-cd patched fs9.exe file

or

2) (And this requires a bit of system hacking on your part) downloading the required DRM digital driver, then self-signing the security licence / license embedded into the driver as a 'software developer'; as I understand it you will then be prompted to allow the driver to run every time you boot up; ---> http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ith-secdrv-sys

Hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 3