Windows 10 upgrade in regards to FS9

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade in regards to FS9

Hybrid View

Icon28 Windows 10 upgrade in regards to FS9

Regarding Windows 10 and those of us who fly the FS9 version of Roy's excellent B-25 Mitchell, I'd be a bit hesitant before I upgraded....

From the FSX Forums: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0-Upgrade-quot

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

On My Dedicated Tower CP win7...FS9 only...Win 10 has denied access..Until I find a solution,FS9 is unusable in Win 10 for me..

Im having a problem running it in Win10 anyone know how to get it working.

I have not taken the WinX plunge yet, however I have read elsewhere that you need to use the no-CD FS9.exe to get FS9 to run on WinX.

IIUC, optical drive support in WinX is.....lacking.

cheers,
    Lane

I'm not running Win10 but try a fresh install of FS9 somewhere on the HD like "C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 9" (no quotes). Not sure what to do about the lack of optical disc support. Hard to fathom that MS would create a new OS that didn't support MS Flight Simulator.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    I'm not running Win10 but try a fresh install of FS9 somewhere on the HD like "C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 9" (no quotes). Not sure what to do about the lack of optical disc support. Hard to fathom that MS would create a new OS that didn't support MS Flight Simulator.

BB686
    I hope not, but maybe this is Microsoft's way of saying "Well, we shut ACES down, and with the response we received about MS Flight, this is the way we say GOODBYE to the FS Community, once and for all."

BTW... does the No CD patch work for W7 64?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by napacon View Post
    On My Dedicated Tower CP win7...FS9 only...Win 10 has denied access..Until I find a solution,FS9 is unusable in Win 10 for me..
    Select the FS9 directory properties and untick "read only". One of the nastier habbits that W10 has inherited from Win8.1.

Johan

Moving to the Tips and Tweaks section...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks for the Advice!

I followed the advice on the FSX thread related to Windows 10, and clicked alt+enter when the initial screen went black, and FS9 was back in windowed mode. As long as I stay in windowed mode, I've got a smooth running, and I think faster frame rate FS9 than I did under Windows 7. I'm very grateful for all the expertise here!

Obviously still no joy with running FS9/2004 in WIN10 ? .. I had it running fine and have not used it since horrid WIN10 decided it was going to install a few months back, today wanted to have a look at some scenery or rebuild and DIDDLY SWAT ! ..

Thanks, Maarten!

Alan

I haven't downloaded Windows 10 myself (yet). I do have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I installed all three (!) FS2004 sims straight on the root, avoiding Program Files hitches:
    - for 1950s-60s scenery C:\Flight Simulator
    - for pre-WW2 scenery C:\Flight Simulator Golden Wings 3
    - for modern scenery C:\Flight Simulator UT

I'm wondering if that would work out well for Windows 10 also. Just an idea.

Cheers,
    Maarten

You also need 9.1 installed.

Members who have read this thread: 3