Douglas A20 Havoc - Page 47
Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 37394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1311

Thread: Douglas A20 Havoc

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    This evening I'll be mainly playing with this one, and a bit with my SAAF Libya scheme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms_a20c_rn1e.jpg  

BUT.

I rec'd some info, and got distracted. An early WIP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms_a20g_sovnite1.jpg  

Here is a shot from an early morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms_a20g_sovnite2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    As I am wrapping up changes to the FS9 Only A-20 and P-70, if you have any issues with the current "pre-beta", you need to make them known now.

They may have been fixed, or may not have been, and this is your chance to register any issues you are aware of.

There may be some custom xml code things I cannot fix but I will try.

Please post any issues you currently have now.

(Do NOT post FSX/P3D issues here. Those versions are completely different now.)
    Sorry I did not get to beta much, Huricane Harvey dumped a foot of water in my house and have been cleaning up, keep the load sheets I enjoy the custom armaments and such!

Quote Originally Posted by NathanT28 View Post
    Sorry I did not get to beta much, Huricane Harvey dumped a foot of water in my house and have been cleaning up, keep the load sheets I enjoy the custom armaments and such!
    Nathan, wow, sorry to hear of your misfortune but happy to know you are safe.

We intend to keep the load sheet for FS9.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Here is my SAAF scheme.

South African Air Force, 3rd Air Wing, Libya 1943. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1il3n29qf...af3aw.zip?dl=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms_a20c_saaf2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Royal Air Force, 23 Sqn, experimental night cammo, 1941. This scheme was actually worn on a Boston 1, but we don't have one so it's on a Boston III.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt2pkikztg...23sqn.zip?dl=0
    Looking through my bound copies of AIR INTERNATIONAL and found an article about the first RAF Bostons and the 'Turbinlite' derivatives.
    The first DB7 airframes received were very early production and mostly ex French orders, mostly relegated to experimental and/or night fighting roles, the RAF holding off for their orders of the more developed aircraft to arrive.
    Obviously there were reservation about stability and comparing the original 'pointy' fin and rudder with the broader main production version one can see why their operational career was minimal.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Some history......

Technical Sergeant Everts' A-20 Havoc #224, "Miss Laid", was first in the ETO to complete one-hundred missions. Never once during these one-hundred missions was the plane forced to return because of mechanical failure. The original engines that powered "Miss Laid" on the first mission on 3 March 1944 against an enemy held airdrome at Poix, France were still in use on the 100th mission, never having been changed.

Douglas A-20G Havoc Miss Laid after its 49th mission May 1944, Wethersfield UK

The 100th mission was an attack on the Duren marshalling yards on 6 October 1944. Old "Miss Laid" was repainted and renamed "La France Libre" and dedicated to represent the unity and good will between our country and the new French nation. Captain Monroe, and Staff Sergeants Kidd and Risko, who had flown 224 on its first mission, and most of the one-hundred missions, took part in the ceremony. Technical Sergeant Royal S. Everts, crew chief, who had cared for the plane through its 100 missions and was primarily responsible for its remarkable record, also participated. The ceremony was attended by French and American dignitaries. MMe Monique Rolland, the beautiful French actress, christianed "La France Libre". Brigadier General Strahm, Ninth Air Force Chief of Staff, dedicated the planes's future missions to the French Nation and People. General Martial Valin, Commanding General of the French Air Force, and Charles Tillon, French Minister of Air, accepted the dedication for the French people and spoke over a world hook-up, speaking of the ceremony as a "symbol of the fraternity of our two nations." General Duncan, General Backus, and Colonel Aylesworth also participated in the ceremony.

Douglas A-20G Havoc La France Libre on 4 November 1944 at Le Bourget, Paris, France.

It might have been one of the last flight of this aircraft for the 416th Bombardment group as:
    Thirteen of the squadron's A-20 aircraft took off for England on November 4th, to turn them over to the United Kingdom. As they flew over the squadron saluted the many fine airplanes which had served so well in blasting the enemy. The pilots returned three days later with the new A-26 "Invaders" which were to be used in future missions.

Text taken from the Transcription from USAF Archives, the history of the 670th Bombardment Squadron, 416th Bombardment Group.

Cheers,
    Huub

Nice one Huub.

Last night I got bored of flying into modern airports ,so I dug out my ez scenery and started work at Zamosc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails home-1.jpg  

Thanks, Huub for that history of this aircraft/crew performance record. Your beautiful work is just as impressive.

La France Libre

Hey Hub, back in 2005, I repainted a B-52 in these markings and uploaded it to Flightsim.com! They painted one up as a commemoration of this old A-20! A buddy flew the -52, and also flew in flightsim. He sent a letter to that units commander and told him about it... he was thrilled!!!

They were quite happy to have it for those involved with the bomb wing to have on their pc's.. flying in the THEN very new and so cool FS2004!

That very year, we were living in Mississauga, not far from Pearson International airport, and for the airshow at the CNE, guess what pilot flew a B-52 up to do a display..??

So, not only did we get a tour of the beast sitting on the apron, BUT after their display on the Saturday, returning to the airport, they did a low flyover of our house, gear, flaps... everything hanging as they performed a 'modified' approach. He had the GPS coordinates of our house, which was just off the flightpath, and told me they were going to ask to do it on their way back, and from their display time... we knew when it would happen....

My kids were still little.. and they and the neighbourhood kids were all in our pool when the big beast roared overhead... VERY BIG...and VERY LOW!!!

My wife got some cool photos...

Thanks for reminding me of that VERY cool event!!!

Funny... I don't even HAVE a B-52 in my 'hangar' anymore!...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg   B52LandingGearDown mississauga.jpg  

Douglas A20 Havoc 2d panel

Hallo friends,
    back from nice holydays in brittany, this is my first day work.
    I reworked the last panel to find a compromiss between the beta VC
    and the docs of the A20 cockpits
    Here is a first step:
    yours
    Papi

Havoc - pre beta douglas a-20 release

Thanks Michael,
    Hope your holiday refreshed body and mind. Looking forward to your developments and continue to enjoy lots of your other 2D panels.
    Mal

A nice story Bushi, it must have been an impressive sight to see a B-52 from this close......

Cheers,
    Huub

For those who want it, "La France Libre" is available in the library!

Enjoy,
    Huub

Lovely work Huub

-Thank you Huub!

Alain

-

La France Libre?

oh most definitely downloaded!

Another GORGEOUS paint! I'll definitely take it. Thanks Huub!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Here is another P-70A2 (this time with art work that belongs on it). Unfortunately the only information I have been able dig up are the two pictures previously posted by Mick and included here again and associated photo captions in the source. However, the captions only mention the air crew names and commander. The aircraft was part of the 6th NFS and the text suggests the photos were taken in New Guinea.

There are two versions of his particular nose art: one without a web and no additional lettering and a black cleaver blade, and one with a a web and a name that begins with "Black..." and a cleaver that I assume has a silver blade, or at least is not black. So I have two interpretations going here, hybrids, and depending on whether someone can help with figuring out what the second part of the name is I will probably go with the one without the web (though I like that one more). I have tried the limited range of tricks in CS6 that I know to try to bring that second part of the name out, but have been unable to discern it. The tail number is also unknown, so I will have to provide a fictional one (unless by some chance additional info turns up).

The airborne screen cap is from P3Dv4 but the paint will be provided for FS9 and FSX as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black-airborne.jpg   Black_1.jpg   Black_2.jpg   Black_unkown.jpg  

"Black Widow"

It was "Black Widow" and as shown in the photo you posted, the plane had the web version of the art.

In the June 1986 issue of Wings there is a crisper print of the same photo and if you squint real hard you can see that the name is Black Widow.

The photo caption reads: "A subconscious prediction of things to come? The commanding officer of Detachment "A" , Capt. Robert McLeod, poses with his P-70 that he named "Black Widow." About a year later the Northrop P-61"Black Widow" made its combat debut in the Pacific, after a top secret development period. At the time this picture was taken, the existence of the P-61 was not known to members of the 6th."

That was Det. A of the 6th NFS, based in New Guinea. (Det. B was on Guadalcanal.)

I really wanted to paint "Black Widow" but the artwork is far beyond my ability.

I wonder what the "WF" stood for???
    Last edited by Mick; September 15th, 2017 at 07:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    It was "Black Widow" and as shown in the photo you posted, the plane had the web version of the art.

In the June 1986 issue of Wings there is a crisper print of the same photo and if you squint real hard you can see that the name is Black Widow.

The photo caption reads: "A subconscious prediction of things to come? The commanding officer of Detachment "A" , Capt. Robert McLeod, poses with his P-70 that he named "Black Widow." About a year later the Northrop P-61"Black Widow" made its combat debut in the Pacific, after a top secret development period. At the time this picture was taken, the existence of the P-61 was not known to members of the 6th."

That was Det. A of the 6th NFS, based in New Guinea. (Det.B was on Guadalcanal.)

I really wanted to paint "Black Widow" but the artwork is far beyond my ability.

I wonder what the "WF" stood for???

Thank you very much Mick for the information. I will finish it up with that then. That is a really good question and I have no idea. It is way too early for today's acronym and it lacks a "T" anyways. Besides, they didn't use words like that back then, right? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by wellis View Post
    ... Besides, they didn't use words like that back then, right? ;-)
    Well, don't forget what the F stood for in SNAFU and FUBAR.

I recently read that "a__hole" came from WW2 slang. I would've thought it was older than that, but even if it originated during WW2, that's still like forever ago to folks our age.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    For those who want it, "La France Libre" is available in the library!

Enjoy,
    Huub

Excellent! Thank you once again Huub!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Well, don't forget what the F stood for in SNAFU and FUBAR.

I recently read that "a__hole" came from WW2 slang. I would've thought it was older than that, but even if it originated during WW2, that's still like forever ago to folks our age.

Indeed, you are correct sir.

Members who have read this thread: 3