Douglas A20 Havoc - Page 6
Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas A20 Havoc

SOH-CM-2023
    Milton:

Anybody doing any work on this besides you ?? I could probably work up an aircraft.cfg and .air file for you if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Milton:

Anybody doing any work on this besides you ?? I could probably work up an aircraft.cfg and .air file for you if you need it.
    No, just me at the moment; that is typical until I get the exterior model done and mapped and in the sim properly.

I just created a test folder this afternoon and did my first export to check it in the sim. It looked pretty good and all but one animation worked correctly, now fixed.

I usually don't do a model specific flight model until I have all the appropriate parts in place; hopefully that will be in the next few days.

Then I usually take a break from modeling and start the flight model. I normally use either Airwrench or the FDWB to do the first few cuts on the FM and tweak from there. If I'm really busy and Tom Falley volunteers, I send it all to him after mapping for textures.

However, you you want to give it a go, I would be happy for you to jump in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2015-dec-15-006.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2023
    Let me see what I can come up with here.

My first cut would be to take a Lodestar aircraft config file and modify as many parameters as I can find to fitthe A-20. If I can get the Lodestar to A-20 specs, I'll modify appropriate values in the .air file.

Here is one thing - I only have FSX Acceleration installed; no FS2004. Do you see any problems with that ??
    Last edited by glh; December 15th, 2015 at 09:04.

SOH-CM-2023
    Now this is interesting:

http://www.enginehistory.org/Wright/...00CaseHx.shtml

"Cylinder Rust and Corrosion

The most vexing problem was rust and corrosion in the cylinders. The Corrosion
    Committee, established by CTI-1325 (May 17, 1943) wrote, "We do not know the answer but
    are beginning to suspect Gremlins." The FBI checked for sabotage. The "epidemic" of
    December 1942 to March 1943 was corrosion, and that of June-July 1943, rust.

Pratt & Whitney blamed moisture applied to steel parts during engine assembly by
    ungloved hands."
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; December 15th, 2015 at 20:18. Reason: Made link clickable

Let me see what I can come up with here.

My first cut would be to take a Lodestar aircraft config file and modify as many parameters as I can find to fitthe A-20. If I can get the Lodestar to A-20 specs, I'll modify appropriate values in the .air file.

Here is one thing - I only have FSX Acceleration installed; no FS2004. Do you see any problems with that ??
    Not at all; I can easily change it to FS9.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=glh;996752]Now this is interesting:

http://www.enginehistory.org/Wright/R-2600/R-2600CaseHx.shtml

"Cylinder Rust and Corrosion

The most vexing problem was rust and corrosion in the cylinders. The Corrosion
    Committee, established by CTI-1325 (May 17, 1943) wrote, "We do not know the answer but
    are beginning to suspect Gremlins." The FBI checked for sabotage. The "epidemic" of
    December 1942 to March 1943 was corrosion, and that of June-July 1943, rust.

I seem to recall the same thing happening to Packard Merlin engines made in the USA, this occurred for a short period and the same causes (ungloved hands, added to it were other assemblers eating salted peanuts for lunch and not washing their hands afterward before gloving up) were found to be the culprit. My source for this was my aunt's friend - now long deceased - who was one of the engineers assigned the task of converting the Merlin for use in P-51s. One of my life's greatest regrets was never getting his story down in detail.

Hi,

Nothing much was learned in the intervening years, as the beautiful little Alfasud was destroyed by rust/corrosion from untrained hands in their new factory in the south of Italy.

Andy.

This one is already growing on me.

I just happen to love these vintage aircraft, and want to thank you Milton, for bringing them to the FSX (and FS9)virtual sky.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Milton:

Looks to be another great project, be more than happy to assist in any way I can!

Regards: Tom

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Milton:

Looks to be another great project, be more than happy to assist in any way I can!

Regards: Tom
    Hi Tom; great to see you here.

I appreciate that.

Working on the nose gear now; about done, and moving on to main gear today. Once that is in place, we will have something to test in the sim. Progress, slowly by surely.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

When you call this progress slow, I really wonder what you consider fast. I assume that's close to instant ready

The Airfix Boston was one of the more affordable larger model kits. I loved it and have built several..... Soonish I will fly one!

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    When you call this progress slow, I really wonder what you consider fast. I assume that's close to instant ready

The Airfix Boston was one of the more affordable larger model kits. I loved it and have built several..... Soonish I will fly one!

Cheers,
    Huub
    Huub, thank you; yes, I have had limited time, or rather lots of daily distractions, trying to get this exterior model assembled. I do my best work when I can stay focused on the task at hand and let it flow. :-)

I too like the early models of the A-20 and will be doing the several variants.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2023
    Milton:

I have the A20_draft_2.pdf file and the two drawings from the American Aircraft Modeller (L&R) November 1970 issue. I am now ready to start placing crew loads, engine locations, gear positions into an aircraft.cfg file.

What I need to know is where you have placed the C.G. reference point -- how many feet + inches behind the leading edge of the wing. I assume you have bisected the fuselage in side and top view for your other "0.0" coordinate points.

Milton:

I have the A20_draft_2.pdf file and the two drawings from the American Aircraft Modeller (L&R) November 1970 issue. I am now ready to start placing crew loads, engine locations, gear positions into an aircraft.cfg file.

What I need to know is where you have placed the C.G. reference point -- how many feet + inches behind the leading edge of the wing. I assume you have bisected the fuselage in side and top view for your other "0.0" coordinate points.
    GLH, check you PM's; I don't want to bog down the thread with this working data.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Now have the A-20G in the sim and sitting ready ... for more TLC.

All gear, props, trim tabs, control surfaces in general now operable and ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2015-dec-17-011.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-dec-17-012.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Man, you are REALLY fast. That Havoc's looking great.

Man, you don't waste any time.

That is looking great.

When was the last time you has some sleep? You must have been working on this beauty 24/7.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Now have the A-20G in the sim and sitting ready ... for more TLC.

All gear, props, trim tabs, control surfaces in general now operable and ready.
    Ahhh!
    The distinctive whiff of high octane fuel and familiar aroma of top-notch awesomenesssss :-)

Love the accuracy of the open hatch too, Sir
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Wow, that's looking great Milton!
    i guess I'd better start looking for interesting paintschemes for this aircraft.
    btw, will this be fs9 only, or are you planning a fsx version as well?

and yes, I made that airfix model too!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

[IM
    Here's one I made earlierG][/IMG]

Today's focus has been on improving the fuselage curves and mesh overall with particular focus on the windshield and hatch curvature areas as viewed from the side. Making progress on the basic lines and getting the look right is important before moving forward. Still not quite happy with the quarter glass so will invest more time there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2015-dec-19-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-dec-19-004.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-dec-19-005.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

It looks really good! Good work Milton.

I'm just wondering what the purpose of the bump under the tail was? Tailskid or was it for directional stability or other?
    Mark

[Originally posted by MRogers

I'm just wondering what the purpose of the bump under the tail was? Tailskid or was it for directional stability or other?[/QUOTE]

My guess would be it was a form of a 'tail skid' - being 'hidden' from the belly along with not being very big, I don't think it would help much in the 'direction stability' arena...

Bill

EDIT: Milton: Looking great Sir !!!

From the location... directional stability. I've seen other similar ventral fins on aircraft of the era... its typically for that. The early A20s had yaw stability issues.

Members who have read this thread: 3