Gauges for Combat Flight Simulator - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gauges for Combat Flight Simulator

Twin / Dual Needle Tachometer

Once I figured out what I was doing, the Dual Needle Tachometer wasn't all that hard to do.
    Most of the issues were related to making a lot of errors because of fatigue.

On other thing I found out is that although the P-38 uses a 3500 RPM Dual Tachometer, the B-25 uses a 4500 RPM version.
    It seems like I have yet another gauge face to work on and I HATE doing those.
    The Needle also isn't shaped quite like the one I am currently using....

The Manifold Pressure Gauges are probably next.

Without any real experience coding with the SDK Macros, life is getting pretty interesting because I have had to back up a few times to change my coding standards to something that made sense with the environment.
    With just one Gauge, it didn't matter, but even with two, it made sense to do things in a consistent fashion.

Still Learning as I go.....

Good Night, All.
    - Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by smilo View Post

post script;
    i wouldn't use the panel.cfg
    as a panel set up guide.
    it's, pretty much, a hack job mess.
    as i recall, there was a lot
    of experimentation going on with it.
    Thanks Smilo,

Package received but not opened yet.
    Been kinda busy today with Gauge programming and also with watching my son though not necessarily in that order of priority.

Regarding Hack Jobs, I know so little about Panel setups that all I can do is hack jobs myself.
    I don't know my Gauge coding is any better, but I am at least starting to figure out how things work.
    We will see what tomorrow brings.

Good Night.
    - Ivan.

Manifold Pressure Multi Gauges

Just finished the first test this evening.
    There is still a lot of busy / cleanup work to do, but the basic tests are done.

Next step is the Dual Needle Manifold Pressure Gauge.

As I look at a few things, there are still a LOT of questions I would like to ask the Microsoft Developers who put together the stock gauges.
    Not everything I have seen makes sense.... Or perhaps I am not doing things correctly.

One of the things worth knowing is the conversion factor for Manifold Pressure.
    With the FS98 SDK, the con version was easy. It was a simple Divide by 1000.
    With the FS2000 SDJ, I could not find a conversion value listed anywhere, so I had to try to figure things out via testing.
    Note that the Temperature Gauge at the upper right corner isn't really displaying Temperature.
    It has been modified to display 10X the Manifold Pressure.
    Note that it matches Mr. Becjkwith's Test Gauge or is at least is as close as I can get it.
    From this testing, the conversion factor appears to be Divide by 70.74.

If someone knows of a better conversion, please let me know!

Good Night, All.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MultiManifoldPressure.jpg  

SOH Staff
    when i said, hack job, i was referring
    to what i had obviously done in the past.
    most likely, i was trying to isolate gauges
    or pop up windows for closer inspection.
    i frequently use /// in front of a gauge
    or a window call to keep it from being viewed.
    apparently, i found what i was looking for,
    or, got distracted and moved on,
    leaving many //// hacks in my wake.
    sorry for the mess
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Need Some Opinions

Hello All,

I did some poking around this evening with the stock Microsoft Gauge Sets that came with Combat Flight Simulator.
    The surprising thing I found was that the actual Bitmaps used within them are surprisingly small.
    I don't believe I found a single gauge face that was over about 125 x 125 pixels and many were much much smaller.

The question is this:
    I am currently using bitmaps that are around 300 x 300 pixels.
    Does such a large bitmap show any improvement over the smaller ones used by Microsoft?

My texturing technique is pretty much non-existent, so I will need to use larger bitmaps, but
    does it make sense to use ones that are that much larger? ....and do any of you believe it actually improves the appearance?

There may be other reasons for using larger bitmaps, but does it really improve the appearance?

Thoughts?
    - Ivan.

Need Some Opinions

Hello All,

I did some poking around this evening with the stock Microsoft Gauge Sets that came with Combat Flight Simulator.
    The surprising thing I found was that the actual Bitmaps used within them are surprisingly small.
    I don't believe I found a single gauge face that was over about 125 x 125 pixels and many were much much smaller.

The question is this:
    I am currently using bitmaps that are around 300 x 300 pixels.
    Does such a large bitmap show any improvement over the smaller ones used by Microsoft?

My texturing technique is pretty much non-existent, so I will need to use larger bitmaps, but
    does it make sense to use ones that are that much larger? ....and do any of you believe it actually improves the appearance?

There may be other reasons for using larger bitmaps, but does it really improve the appearance?
    Please note that the SDK sample bitmaps are also around 300 x 300 pixels, so I may just stay with that size.

Thoughts?
    - Ivan.

300x300 best and standard size, perhaps?

Hello Ivan,
    All the gauge-dial bitmaps I have doctored up, like e.g. the helicopter N2, or the Tank that I used for the Heinkel Jet, were all just over 300x300 pixel bitmaps. Needles, handbrakes and other smaller stuff are of course smaller.

I think itīs the big dials that have the larger 300x300 bitmaps, and maybe itīs the smaller temperature and pressure gauges that have the smaller 125x125 bitmaps.

Iīll try out different things later today with the programme "ResHacker" that I have here, to see what happens if I use a smaller bitmap to substitude a larger 300x300 one. I would expect some interpolation, which could make things more blurred, perhaps.
    - Iīll even try and put a 600x600 in, if you like, just to see what happens.

More, later, after doing the shopping...

Update:
    ---------
    OK, I did a few tests with different sized bitmaps.
    It appears they are all automatically resized, which will affect the needle sizes if these are not re-sized accordingly as well.

The gauge I played with was the default FS98 Cessna EGT/CHT, that appears to have two dial bitmaps - one of 302x302 pixels for use in full screen view, and one of 152x152 pixels for windowed view.

If you put the big bitmap where the small one should be, then in the windowed mode, the gauge is made smaller to get the correct visual size. It loses clarity, as it loses pixels. The needle section gets smaller, out of proportion for the gauge, so I assume that the needle should also be made bigger.

The opposite also happens: If you put the smaller bitmap where the bigger one should go, the dial is automatically enlarged, and gets pixelized, but the needle will also be enlarged, and is far to big, unless that bitmap has been made smaller first.
    If a 600x600 bitmap is used, it is minimized accordingly, and loses pixels and also clarity.

I wonder if these experiments shed any light on the question.
    It appears that what is best when editing a gauge bitmap, is to use the same size bitmap as the one that comes with the gauge.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; March 11th, 2017 at 04:19.

SOH Staff
    captain obvious, here,
    which ever size provides best in game clarity
    how do they look when reduced to fit in the panel?
    it's a waste of your time to make them so accurate,
    if they're blurred or pixelated when reduced.

i run my set up a little different.
    i don't use Alt+Enter full screen mode.
    instead, i use the mouse to pull the edges
    to take up the whole screen.
    what? why do it that way?
    i have a two monitor setup.
    by manually enlarging the window,
    i'm able to move the mouse out of game
    and onto the other monitor.
    it's very handy to access other programs
    that are running at the same time.

so far, your hard work is paying off.
    the gauges look great.
    am anxious to see the dual needle units.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

At the moment, I am not swapping out bitmaps in existing gauges; I am coding for new gauges so the rules may be a bit different.
    What I am noticing from using GAUBMP2.EXE to look at the bitmaps of the stock multi-gauges is that the actual bitmaps within are amazingly small.
    For each of the large dial gauges such as a Tachometer or Air Speed Indicator, there is a small BMP of about 70 x 70 and a "Large" one at about 125 x 125. The small sizes surprised me.
    GAUBMP2.EXE finds between 100 and 200 distinct BMPs per multi-gauge, so unless I believe I am seeing everything that is there..... Unless the program is not detecting something. (Pretty obvious statement, huh?)
    Their default sizes are about 58 or so while the SDK samples default to 100 but would need to get sized down for a real panel.
    .....So, on a gauge that is only perhaps 60 pixels wide on a panel that is 1024 pixels wide, does it make sense to use a much larger bitmap???

Hello Smilo, Captain Obvious,

The problem here is that I am using relatively small screens on my gaming machines and don't really use the instruments much other than to set an "Atmosphere" for suspension of disbelief.
    I have never really used the gauges much during the entire time I have played CFS and my eyesight is pretty mediocre at this point, so unless things are big, I sometimes miss the detail.
    I know I have seen some really bad gauges, but have not found any really great looking ones so I don't know that I can tell if things are looking as they should or not

Regarding dual pointer gauges, please check the last screenshot I posted.
    The tachometer on the top row, second from right has two pointers.... ;-)

This evening I have a mess of re-organizing to do in the code so that the next gauge will be easier.

- Ivan.

SOH Staff
    it's funny to hear, you don't pay close attention
    to the gauges when flying.
    admittedly, neither do i, although,
    when in hud mode, more so.
    of main concern are heading and altitude,
    followed by airspeed.
    okay, okay, flaps and gear, too
    i also like a trim indicator.
    of course, things change when on a bomb run.

and yes, i finally saw the dual needle tach.
    thanks for pointing it out.
    i can barely see the needle difference on this screen.
    it would probably be much better
    on my 48" sim monitor.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Ivan,
    I know you are creating gauges, not just swapping bitmaps, but you do have to define a size. I had understood the question as wondering whether a larger bitmap would be more convenient than a smaller one. As sizes are automatically regulated, any changes involving automatic re-sizing in any direction would be lossy, so I thought standard sizes would give better results.
    If I didnīt understand the question correctly, just forget about my answer! No harm done.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Smilo,

Up until the last few years, I really didn't bother with the panel gauges.
    The HUD was what I used because I liked the digital readout.
    With the current Gauge Project, I have no choice but to observe gauges.
    It is pretty hard to program something if you don't know what it is supposed to do.
    With the FS98 SDK, there was only Elevator Trim. I need to see if there is other Trim in FS2000 SDK.
    Attached is the same panel arrangement but with the Ignition on Engine 1 switched off so the pointers are separated.
    Did you know that the B-17 used TWO Dual Tachometers? I thought that was odd looking.
    My current bitmaps are not optimal for small versions of the gauges, so it looks like yet more editing.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

I am not sure if your understanding is correct or not.
    I am still trying to figure out what looks best myself.
    My guess is that at the typical sizes on a panel, 125 x 125 versus 303 x 303 makes no visible difference.
    My original question was to see if anyone here had experience and could tell me for sure that one was better than the other.
    I am not good at drawing bitmaps, so keeping them large makes things easier because then the computer does the blending.
    Seems like I need to go back and edit them again anyway.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DualTachSeparation.jpg  

Messerschmitt 109 Tachometers

Hello All,

This is a test of creating multi-engine gauges using bitmaps from the stock Bf 109E multi-gauge.
    Please note that the bitmaps are very small but don't seem to appear any worse.
    The background is only about 125 x 125 or perhaps smaller.
    Small bitmaps DO give a few problems in centering things when one pixel either way is too much but you can't choose a half pixel.

In these screenshots, the stock Bf109E Tachometer is at center of the top row.
    My version of the Engine1 Gauge is the same size and immediately below it.
    The others are in their expected locations below their corresponding Manifold Pressure Gauges.

Note that there appears to be a slight problem with the stock gauge at around 1500 RPM.
    Note that the indicators on the stock gauge do not agree with the digital tachometers.
    The second screenshot shows Engine1 with ignition off.

Seems like a pretty successful test.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GermanTachTest.jpg   GermanTachEngine1.jpg  

SOH Staff
    you've been busy, well done.
    i'm anxious to check it out myself.

hey, aren't you sick?
    thank you for your efforts,
    but, you should be resting.
    get well soon.
    sometimes it doesn't.

German Manifold Pressure Gauges

....Based as before on Bitmaps from stock Bf109E multi-gauge.

NOW, it is time for bed.

Good Night All,
    - Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GermanBoostGauge1.jpg   GermanBoostGauge2.jpg  

Hello Ivan,
    Maybe the herb tea with lemon and honey had a good effect.
    I can only drool over the new gauges!
    Iīm already queueing up.

Update:
    The new gauges have all arrived in one piece are working very well. Thank you very much!
    They make all the difference to the panel! Itīs like Christmas!

Impressive, definitely!

Smilo: Maybe we ought to make a 4-engined German aeroplane now. There werenīt many, but
    there must have been at least one, because
    we absolutely HAVE to use ALL the new gauges now!

Cheers,

Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; March 15th, 2017 at 02:22.
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Hello Aleatorylamp,

Actually we were snowed in yesterday. Schools closed, all that sort of stuff.
    I never had a chance to go out and get any herb tea, so it was just Decaf Black Tea and lots of sleep.
    Schools are open two hours late today, but the roads look pretty clear.

My Son was sick for a week with the Flu and I was in close contact, so that is probably what I have now.
    I still have a temperature around 100.0 F today and a serious headache so the bug isn't done yet.

Regarding Gauges:
    The FW 200 would be a pretty good candidate for a 4 engine German Aeroplane but I suppose then, I would have to do the FW 190 gauges in addition to the Me 109 versions. The Me 109 Gauges looked cleaner which is why I chose to do those instead.
    Too bad we can't handle something like the BV 222 Wiking with 6 engines!

With every new gauge I am programming, I am learning new things. and developing different techniques.
    Perhaps eventually I will catch up to where other developers were about 15 years ago!
    These "Stock" Gauges showed a few things that I did not notice with higher resolution bitmaps.
    (When playing with the raw bitmaps, they look quite ugly though.)

Enjoy the new Toys!
    I need to choose yet another Gauge to work on.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Still so much snow... looks like itīs a long winter this year?

That you can do gauges being quite ill is quite amazing too. At least youīre not bored.

The next gauge to choose? Well, thatīs an easy one... Four that come into mind, or
    two in the case of dual needle ones, could be Oil temperature, Oil pressure, EGT, and CHT.
    In the case it was a single-needle gauge, which of these four, would be the most important?
    ...but of course itīs entirely up to you!

A FW200, the Condor! Of course. I built one of the passenger versions from scratch some years
    ago that could be made into a military version perhaps, and adapted for CFS1!

Update: Iīve had a look. The FW-200 loads into CFS1 without the FS98 sounds.
    The panel works, only some gauges didnīt, so the panel and almost all gauges are. However, there is some confusion with 2 throttle levers affecting more than one RPM or ATA gauge, or none. This now, would not happen, of course!!
    Question: Shall I start a new thread with the model pics and info I have, for a possible new military adaptation for CFS1 of this project in the future?

To handle a BV 222 Wiking with 6 engines, it could only be done by duplicating and renaming engine 1,2, and 3 gauges, having a 3-engined .air file with twice the Hp per engine, and running the engines in pairs adapting a 3-engined thrust quadrant bitmap.
    Throttle 1 controls engines 1 and 2 (left outboard and left central)
    Throttle 2 controls engines 3 and 4 (left and right inboard)
    Throttle 3 controls engines 5 and 6 (right central and right outboard)
    Howīs that for a solution?

You are certainly catching up, and also overtaking. Developers abandoned the issue 15 years ago.

Well, letīs see what happens!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Condor.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; March 15th, 2017 at 11:59.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

It isn't necessarily a long winter. It is more like completely unstable weather.
    I think that our effects on the environment are the general cause.
    In the last couple decades, many tens of thousands of trees have been removed.
    From the major roads, we can now see things that were once completely hidden.
    I can hear the train station that is about two to three miles away even in the summer.
    When I first moved in, the sound could barely be heard when the leaves were still on the trees.
    A couple weeks ago it was getting near 80 degrees F outside: a touch warm even with just a T-shirt.
    Today it is down in the mid 20's.
    The Cherry Tree in my front yard started blooming about a week ago as did many other trees.
    Some of the other trees just look brown now and the blossoms are falling without ever having a chance for a good show.
    I would imagine that the fruit harvest is going to be VERY poor this year.

Regarding the FW 200, why not upload it in the commercial colours it is wearing now?
    It looks pretty good as it is.

Good idea about engines on the BV 222.

Regarding Gauge Development, I believe quite a few folks got much further with Gauges than I have at this point.
    I am currently in the lead because no one else is in the race any longer; They finished a couple decades ago....

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Hmmm... Pity about the trees and the flowers. I canīt forget what Geronimo said about that before anyone even worried about it. Then thereīs the number of bees...

The FW 200A Condor. I hadnīt thought about uploading the civilian version because it isnīt for combat, but with a parts count of 143.4% Iīd probably run into trouble adding guns and ventral gondolas anyway.

The panel that comes with, is by Pegasus Design - quite good except for the light greenish colouring - which may however be authentic. With the corresponding acknowledgements, I suppose it could take your 4 new RPM and ATA gauges. That would cure the gauge bug it has now. Hereīs a screenshot of its present panel and gauges.
    Update: It may deserve a CFS1 .air file, so I will try making one for the upload - preferably NOT using an AI .air file... ehemm!
    4 x 1030 Hp Bramo Fafnir will be enticing. I could base the engine and prop parameters on the Do-17Z...

Incidentally, under the RPM and ATA in each column of gauges, thereīs an oil temperature one with the wording "Temp. Aceite", probably for the FW200A "Aibatara" that went to Brazil. All four seem to be at maximum all the time. Maybe, as you were asking, perhaps this would be a candidate for the next gauge given its practical use, if you were so inclined!

Talking about bugs, I hope youīre getting better!

BTW, if the rest abandoned making these gauges decades ago, all the greater merit for still doing so, especially as there are no gauge-making programs for them like for newer simulator gauges.

Cheers,

Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; March 16th, 2017 at 04:18.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

If the bees all die, we all die.....
    Until we figure out a way to find another planet to use up, we had better take good care of this one.

I am still quite sick with a temperature at around 100 degrees F. Hopefully I can get rid of this bug soon.
    Last night and this morning it was Chrysanthemum Tea and some Earl Grey.

Before concluding that the other gauges don't work, you might want to see how they behave with a CFS AIR File.
    Also check the numbers with Mr. Beckwith's Test Panel. Perhaps they are reading correctly but just out of range for the gauge?

The FW 200 panel looks pretty well done.
    Heck, you are re-releasing an old 4 engine machine and I still haven't even released my first twin yet! ;-)

There actually was a program to create gauges called "Easy Gauge" though no one seems to have a copy any more.
    The company apparently went away years ago.
    Gauges never really interested me until I needed ones that did not exist as stock versions, so I am really doing this to complete a couple of my own projects.... Which is why the next couple sets of gauges will be ones I can use for my own projects.
    The problem here as usual is that while I am a pretty good C programmer and can figure out the Panel SDK to some extent, I am absolutely terrible at doing bitmaps and that is where I need to work next.

- Ivan.

May be some info you can use here ??
    Has the old demo version also....For what good or not it may be:

http://web.archive.org/web/200702241...easygauge.net/
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Hello Ivan, Hello Hubbabubba,

Thanks for the link, Hubbabubba.
    I remember a Brazilian flight-simmer called Claudio Mussner who made custom gauges for the Gotha and Zeppelin bombers with Easygauge. It was great! Dual-Needle RPM gauge replica of the original, and an original inclinometer - combination between artificial horizon and variometer. A really amazing thing. There was even a dangling pencil for when you rolled!!

All very wonderful... BUT... here comes the kicker: EasyGauge is only good for FS2002 onwards. Also for CFS2 then.
    That was at least what I was told when I got the Gotha and Zeppelin Gauges.
    Iīve just downloaded Easygauge and installed it. It asks for the FS2002 Gauge folder... so...

So ever since the beginnings in 2004 of my interest in building for FS98 and now for CFS1, gauges for these sims had to be done in "C", and Iīm only good at QBasic 1.1, so you can imagine how I feel now with the new Engine 1 to 4 RPM and ATA gauges !!! Then, a set of oil pressure and oil temperature gauges would conclude the lot and make the entire dream come true.
    But thatīs entirely up to you, Ivan!
    Itīs already quite unbelievable with the RPM and ATA ones. Thatīs why I said it was like Christmas.

Re: Condor.
    I can study the gauge behaviour on the FW200 with the current FS98 file, and then see what happens with a CFS1 file.
    For the moment, what Iīve seen is this:
    -Engine 1 throttle also affects RPM 4, apart from RPM 1 and ATA 1.
    -Engine 2 throttle is the only correct one, affecting only RPM 2 and ATA 2.
    -Engine 3 throttle also affects ATA 4, apart from RPM 3 and ATA 3.
    -Engine 4 throttle affects no gauge at all but does affect aircraft speed.
    -All Oil temperature gauges show maximum even with cold engines.

This is what led me to think that your new gauges, Ivan, would be of help here, at least for CFS1.
    I could check whether this also happens in FS98.

Iīll also check with the Beckwith test panel.
    Incidentally, I canīt find the fuel-flow numbers there... but maybe itīs just me.

I can see your difficulty with gauge bitmaps. The correct angles for the circular dials angles are a bummer!

OK, then, I hope you get better soon.
    Chrysanthemum tea sound interesting! Iīd only heard of Jasmine and of course all sorts of fruit teas.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello No Dice,

Thanks for the link. You actually posted it in a relevant thread a couple years ago as well.
    I downloaded the "Demo" and installed it. When I tried to run it, it was asking for the location of MinGW32.
    I had MinGW installed on my old MS Vista laptop but have not installed it on the latest 8.1 laptop.
    Since I had found the FS2000 SDK by then, I just figured I would just try to do the programming on my own.
    The results are pretty successful thus far, but I really haven't done anything complicated yet.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

Look at the first attached screenshot for the location of the Fuel Flow readout.

I don't know about multi-engine throttles and controls. I figured I would have to built a set for my own use anyway at some point.
    I am somewhat surprised though that the throttles don't work because I figure someone else would have commented on them before now.

Attached also is a different background for my gauges.
    My original background size is 303 x 303 pixels.
    The SDKs use 302 x 302 I didn't change mine just to be different.
    The idea is to have a central pixel to confirm that the pointer and background are aligned properly which of course needs an odd number of pixels.
    There was an olive drab border though it was hardly visible.
    The center dial section is 281 x 281 pixels.
    With the different border, the whole background is now 315 x 315 pixels so that I don't have to redo the dial section at all.
    The center dial section is actually the easiest to make for me because the process is very well defined.
    Basically just draw one tick mark, rotate and overlay it repeatedly.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FuelFlow.jpg   KPW.Tach315BG1.bmp  

Hello Ivan,
    Thanks for your indications. I never associated Gph (Gallons per Hour) with Fuel Flow (FF) ...
    Duhhhh! Captain Obvious strikes again!

To your Easygauge "question": By the EasyGauge installer, if you accept the Mini-GNU installation, MinGW32 is installed in the bin subdirectory of a directory called MinGW which is in the same path as the main Easygauge installation, and you have to select that in the window before you can use the program. I had some trouble doing that too!

I see that your gauge-makers have a precision torque-screwdriver to elegantly place the screwdriver-groove horizontally. Very good! (pre-supposing identical thread making, of course). No chance of ruining the thread and then have screws falling out like on other CFS1 gauges! I noticed on the tram we have here, all the floor-panel screws also had their grooved heads lined up with panel contour when the trams were new. nowadays more than one is at angles!
    Nice craftsmanship on your frames too, to say nothing of the dial itself, of course, and the central pixel!

I wish I could program in "C" - my daughter actually loves it and says itīs just as easy to learn as Qbasic...
    If I have time this morning Iīll check on the Condor-gauges functioning.

Update:
    Iīve just tested the FS98 Condor panel in FS98. The slightly mixed-up throttle/RPM-4/ATA-4 thing also happens there.
    However, the oil temperature was my own fault -Sorry!-, I mistook the fuel gauges for them, which would obviously always show max. tankage at strartup! So that was a false alarm, as these seem OK both in CFS and FS98.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; March 17th, 2017 at 03:26.

Members who have read this thread: 1