Windows 10
Page 1 of 13 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Windows 10

Since it's only a few days before the release version of win 10 will appear, it would be helpful if anyone that upgrades can give a report.

I already saw a report on Facebook that fs9 is not working correctly.

thanks and let the comments begin.

Bob

Yea, same here. Someone posted in the forums that FSX was not working in 10, but I never followed through with reading the particulars so not sure if it was operator error or not.

Just to be clear, in this thread Some thoughts on a potential build someone said if you upgrade to Win10, you will have to re-install FS. Or are you asking whether or not Win10 will even allow it to run?

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Just to be clear, in this thread Some thoughts on a potential build someone said if you upgrade to Win10, you will have to re-install FS. Or are you asking whether or not Win10 will even allow it to run?
    Im going to do the upgrade because I have a relatively new win8.1 PC and I have MSFT as a global client. I have to have their stuff. However, if win10 porks FSX, then Im going to go to P3D. Will use it as an opportunity to make the move. Might as well.

SOH-CM-2023
    With Microsoft's reputation for making OS upgrades behave flawlessly, how could anyone doubt that it will not work ?? (sarcasm off now)

After reading what I can about Win10 compatibility with FSX and FS9, I decided to cancel my reservation for the upgrade.

I'm not the most tech savvy person around here and I have a lot of time and money invested in this hobby, yet everything I read about Win10 leads me to believe that I'd be their guinea pig. Going from Win8.1 to Win10 for all the new whistles and bells that I likely may not need is just not worth the risk at the moment. Maybe several months down the road I might change my mind after others have figured it out.

For example, I understand that both sims will not run under Win10 because of DirectX12. Well, my question is if its an upgrade over my existing system, what about my installs of DirectX9 and 11?? I also understand that FSX does run if you use DirectX10 mode, which I do not use. No mention of FS9 which I still run. For those who have been able to get FS9 and FSX running under Win10, I understand that it a pre-release version and not the actual upgrade. Bottom line is that there are just too many unanswered questions.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

One of the 'fun' things with general versions of Win 10 will be the FORCED updates [no option to not have them].

MS's history with updates-that-bork-systems is [in]famous. It'd be 'entertaining' at best playing Russian Roulette 3 or 4 times a year with 'sensitive' program installs.

The 'brilliant' plan is that the general public are the guinea pigs for the enterprise updates - they can defer them and avoid calamity.

Maybe [and it is only a maybe] there will be compatible releases of earlier DX versions that will enable FSX [and others] to function OK...but the intelligent approach is to hold off on 'upgrading' the OS.
    You have a year for the 'free offer'.

There's no 'real' benefit for anyone to move from 7 or 8/8.1 other than those eager to play with DX12 games - when they come out.

7 has MANY years more official support. [I wouldn't be surprised if that outlasts 8/8.1 even - as it's by far the largest % in use today]...

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yea, same here. Someone posted in the forums that FSX was not working in 10, but I never followed through with reading the particulars so not sure if it was operator error or not.
    That was solved by installing the right version of DirectX.

Also, about deferring the updates. Windows 10 Home users will not have that possibility, but users with Windows 10 professional and Enterprise will be able to select the updates they want to have.

I'm definitely moving over to Windows 10. It will mean a full clean install, but I have a habit of doing that every year or so. So no biggie.

Johan

After reading what I can about Win10 compatibility with FSX and FS9, I decided to cancel my reservation for the upgrade.
    This is quite critical for me to get right. I have Win 7 Professional. If I now cancel my upgrade scheduled for 29 July (MS are not clear if I will then still have a choice to activate it or not, or they will just do it . .) do I still have time to upgrade - for free - later on, i.e., possibly after this compatibility problem is resolved?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    This is quite critical for me to get right. I have Win 7 Professional. If I now cancel my upgrade scheduled for 29 July (MS are not clear if I will then still have a choice to activate it or not, or they will just do it . .) do I still have time to upgrade - for free - later on, i.e., possibly after this compatibility problem is resolved?
    You have up to a year to 'upgrade'.

The latest thoughts are that those people involved in the M$ Insider program will get theirs on the due date, with the rest of us waiting in line over the next month.
    Basically - don't hold your breath.....

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    That was solved by installing the right version of DirectX.

Also, about deferring the updates. Windows 10 Home users will not have that possibility, but users with Windows 10 professional and Enterprise will be able to select the updates they want to have.

I'm definitely moving over to Windows 10. It will mean a full clean install, but I have a habit of doing that every year or so. So no biggie.

Johan
    Johan...Professional users will be able to 'defer' the updates...but they still cannot reject them.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    The 'free upgrade' offer is for 12 months.
    You won't be receiving anything on the 29th anyway.....not this month...more like....'sometime this year'...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Johan...Professional users will be able to 'defer' the updates...but they still cannot reject them.
    I beg to differ.

I had a briefing about this from our Microsoft TAM (technical assistance manager):

Like with windows 7 or even windows XP, you will have the possibility to "hide the update". Us network and system people will do this through GPO/WSUS/MSSC. But even users themselves can do that, on the condition that they have local admin rights.

It will never present itself again. This is true for the the Professional and Enterprise editions of Windows.

You do realise that if Microsoft lies to an IT dept of a federal government that there will be hell to pay? And even if I work for a small country, we can always talk to the EU or the EC. And we will.

Johan

Johan...

If you take the time to review the EULA for W10 build 10240, you’ll find:
    “The Software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you.
    You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates.
    By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.” – EULA
    Also,
    “Customers who are embracing Current Branch for Business do need to consume that feature update within the allotted time period of approximately eight months or they will not be able to see and consume the next security update.”- Helen Harmetz, Microsoft Senior Product Marketing Manager

Now that demonstrates that although you can defer an update if you do not accept it within 8 months they will pull your plug.
    It's a process whereby enterprise users get the benefit of the general public's exposure to bugs and their correction...whilst the commercial money-pot is unharmed by same.

Seems to me that everyone is avoiding the key question here.

You're talking about the Win10 upgrade policy but haven't answered the question about how the Win10 upgrade will handle FSX or FS9.

My conclusion is that nobody knows. All the more reason for me not to upgrade.
    -- WH

You're talking about the tech preview. The EULA is different from the ones of the definitive professional and enterprise editions.

Windows 10 will be a "service" for home/residential users, NOT for those who are lucky enough to obtain a Professional or Enterprise license.

If you're unhappy about that, go Linux or Mac. Maybe you'll be able to run Steam on it.

You wanna be sure? Go Prepar3d v2.x.

I'll never EVER understand why you people are so suspicious about updates.

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post

You're talking about the Win10 upgrade policy but haven't answered the question about how the Win10 upgrade will handle FSX or FS9.

You're even able to run FS9 and FSX on the tech preview, given that you've searched for and installed the necessary DirectX version.

You want to be 150% sure? Install WinXP 64 bit. Good luck with the drivers though...

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    You're talking about the tech preview. The EULA is different from the ones of the definitive professional and enterprise editions.

Windows 10 will be a "service" for home/residential users, NOT for those who are lucky enough to obtain a Professional or Enterprise license.

If you're unhappy about that, go Linux or Mac. Maybe you'll be able to run Steam on it.

You wanna be sure? Go Prepar3d v2.x.

I'll never EVER understand why you people are so suspicious about updates.

Johan
    Johan...it's not 'suspicion' it's 'caution'. MS's track record for having updates screw with a system is legendary.

Example...For a number of months [7 Ult] I was forced to roll back to IE9 because the IE10 update caused FSX to CTD....and the same with IE11.

Since then it's been fine, assumption being that another update elsewhere 'cured it'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Johan...it's not 'suspicion' it's 'caution'. MS's track record for having updates screw with a system is legendary.

Example...For a number of months [7 Ult] I was forced to roll back to IE9 because the IE10 update caused FSX to CTD....and the same with IE11.

Since then it's been fine, assumption being that another update elsewhere 'cured it'.
    The last few months when I was using FSX, I had IE11 working besides my trusty FF. never had any problems.

I imagine that, if you would have let all the updates come through, you would not have had any problem.

Updates are some of the very few things that M$ gives for free. For your security and to keep your systems healthy. Let them through...

Johan

I always do 'let them through'. I can however guarantee I have uninstalled some after there were published faults with them.

The only ones 'hidden' and not allowed in currently are the rubbish advertising/promotion 'updates' advertising 10.

I am certain that 'most' users never had issues with FSX and IE 10/11, but that doesn't negate the fact that I did. [and wasn't alone with problems with those updates - others reported issues with other software].

Yes, I know I push systems harder than Joe Average...used to break Win2000 3 times a day...when that was claimed to be 'rock solid'.... but in those days I was into alternate shells and 'explorer.exe' was a swear-word...

I can tell you right now that FSXA works just fine in Win 10. I just got through with a flight. I have been testing the Win 10 insider preview for quite a while and FSX was the first thing I installed as well as a copy of 3ds Max. Later today I will install FS9 and see how that does so we can answer that question. I have to say that FSX is the box version and I have not installed any addons so I can't say how anything else will work. I'm not going to get into the other details of Win 10 as they do not pertain to the thread, only the questions of FSX and FS9. I will also attempt to install some addons as well to see how they do. If you have any nice addons you would like me to test well just send them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    I can tell you right now that FSXA works just fine in Win 10. I just got through with a flight. I have been testing the Win 10 insider preview for quite a while and FSX was the first thing I installed as well as a copy of 3ds Max. Later today I will install FS9 and see how that does so we can answer that question. I have to say that FSX is the box version and I have not installed any addons so I can't say how anything else will work. I'm not going to get into the other details of Win 10 as they do not pertain to the thread, only the questions of FSX and FS9. I will also attempt to install some addons as well to see how they do. If you have any nice addons you would like me to test well just send them to me.
    That's very good to know. Thanks for that.
    Now, all we need is for someone to upgrade an already-working FSX system (Win7/8/8.1) to Win10 - and tell us that FSX still works. Any volunteers?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post

Thanks.

Just to put a little more spin on this topic, my primary concern is the upgrade of Win10 over my current OS. Does it change things so much that FSX or FS9 no longer work? Does it remove or disable existing installs of ActiveX, Framework.net, etc., which supports existing software on my computer. Does it overwrite my current registry to force me to reinstall everything.

Most addons are not a problem, but some do have registry entries for security or uninstalling, etc. I'd hate to start all over again from the beginning.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    That's very good to know. Thanks for that.
    Now, all we need is for someone to upgrade an already-working FSX system (Win7/8/8.1) to Win10 - and tell us that FSX still works. Any volunteers?

Dave

Thanks.

Just to put a little more spin on this topic, my primary concern is the upgrade of Win10 over my current OS. Does it change things so much that FSX or FS9 no longer work? Does it remove or disable existing installs of ActiveX, Framework.net, etc., which supports existing software on my computer. Does it overwrite my current registry to force me to reinstall everything.

Most addons are not a problem, but some do have registry entries for security or uninstalling, etc. I'd hate to start all over again from the beginning.
    I installed Win 10 over an existing Win 7 setup and I'll get into more detail a little later because I have to leave for a Dr. appointment. I will say this, FS9 works in Win 10 but it's not a straight forward setup, again I'll get into more detail when I get back.

This is a YouTube video of one guys experience so far with Windows 10 and FSX Steam edition, but it is encouraging. NC

Members who have read this thread: 3