Windows 10 - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    This morning I installed win 10 and so far only paint shop pro x3 wont load.
    Ron, I have Paint Shop Pro X5 and it loads ok.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Will Try Win 10 on a dedicated Win 7 Tower computer for FS9...will observe its operation and impact in the world we play in..will hold off on My tower with FSX Disk and FSX STEAM....I run the two,but will delete the disk version soon...Then monitoring this site and others will come to some decision...no rush I might add...My FSX steam on Win 7 is running superbly..Of course ,If it ain't broke?? leave it be....But the moth candle thing effects all..Its often beyond our control..BUT FIGHT IT..Curiosity Do Kill Cats
    Last edited by stovall; July 29th, 2015 at 19:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    on todays laptop I went from win 7 to 10 tomorrow on the big computer it too, lol win 7 to 10 then next month M$ will let me do my rt surface upgrade heck I am happy with windows 10, and for free too, lol
    Thanks. I'm still exhausted from last week's ordeal, so I'll wait a little longer. Does it seem like there are more or less background processes running?

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I still am unable to update from my W8.1 to W10. The windows thing in the lower right corner shows im reserved and download in progress. Been like that since midnight. there is a folder on my C drive called $Windows.~BT and it is W10 from my inspection and is about 3.56gb. Stayed that size all day. If I go to my windows update she'll download w10 2,172mb approx . I'm confused lol.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Montie View Post
    I have not managed to get the Windows Updater to work, it keeps giving an error 80240020. For people with Windows update error 80240020 found this on Reddit, this is what I am trying at the moment:

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
    1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
    2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
    3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/com...ng_to_install/
    Please give better explain and mapping so I can visualize it in my head to apply thank you. So of us are very visual learner strength over read comprehension due to a creative artistic mind dominance. "Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow"."

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Please give better explain and mapping so I can visualize it in my head to apply thank you. So of us are very visual learner strength over read comprehension due to a creative artistic mind dominance. "Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow"."
    Sorry I missed that, you need to type/paste: wuauclt.exe /updatenow into your command prompt (search for: CMD) and remember to run it as Admin first.

I have tried five times now without any luck, it starts downloading but the installation fails. It has work for some, but a lot of people is still struggling with it. I have begun using this instead:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

It still fails during installation at this point, but at least I can see the error message, I could not before. If you use this way remember to hit the "upgrade" button and not do a clean install, otherwise you will need a Windows 10 key.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

I am Intrigued as to what MS$ has to gain. If 3 million users take up this offer theystand to loose 660 million dollars on this in a time where profit is everything.

??

My son just installed it on his HP laptop.??
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

6 times failed 5 using the internal and 1 with the upgrade tool. Error look like a failed phase 1 boot. I beginning to think MS server's are baked and stoned and drunk overflow lol. They should have done it like the W8.1 update thru the store.

Unfortunately I'm one of many who is having trouble with the initial download and installation . I'm shifting through the articles
    to try to get a successful installation under Windows Update . My next try will be number 4

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Installation Question ?

After 7 failed attempts at Win 10 via the Windows Update I noticed there is a folder now on the C:/ drive
    $Windows.~BT . Inside among many other files is a setup.exe file . I just clicked on it (did not execute it) and
    it appeared to be a Windows installation program . I just wondered if anyone knows if I could safely try this route
    instead of going through the Windows Update . By the way Windows Update included NVidia Driver update but they failed
    during the update process too . Still have Win 7 to fall back on . Microsoft sure making this a PIA for some of us for sure .

Rich

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can download the Win 10 upgrade from the net and put it on thumb drive or DVD disk and try to install it from there . worth a try . I thought I read this in my travels .

wow..i feel a little guilty for how easy it went for me..i still wonder if it has anything to how much/many files you have in your PC?....or whatever you use...my system was still clean so to speak..and i had it all done and i was up and running in 30 minutes.i also wonder if you download speed maters...i have 110 bps and as i say it was 30 minutes and i was back surfin the net ..

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    After 7 failed attempts at Win 10 via the Windows Update I noticed there is a folder now on the C:/ drive
    $Windows.~BT . Inside among many other files is a setup.exe file . I just clicked on it (did not execute it) and
    it appeared to be a Windows installation program . I just wondered if anyone knows if I could safely try this route
    instead of going through the Windows Update . By the way Windows Update included NVidia Driver update but they failed
    during the update process too . Still have Win 7 to fall back on . Microsoft sure making this a PIA for some of us for sure .

Rich

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can download the Win 10 upgrade from the net and put it on thumb drive or DVD disk and try to install it from there . worth a try . I thought I read this in my travels .
    I have seen many warnings on Reddit regarding executing the Setup.exe in the $Windows.~BT folder, so I would advice not to do so.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    wow..i feel a little guilty for how easy it went for me..
    Me too! Installed perfectly in less than 40 minutes. One thing: i installed using a ISO (Not win upgrade icon) created thru MS site. Put the disc and it did the rest, including activating it for me. To be honest, the only thing that win10 failed was detecting my USB 3.0 ports and ASUS donīt have a win10 driver yet. Aside that, everything perfect and FSX-SE working likea charm.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

I upgraded my Win8.1 to Win10 using the MediaCreationToolx64.exe tool available from Microsoft. It was straightforward, although it did take a long time... 5 hours from clicking on the MediaCreationToolx64 tool, to seeing the Win10 desktop. I did have a lot of software already installed, so that's probably why my upgrade took so long, when others have seen it complete in 40 minutes.

I might wait for a couple months or maybe say the hell with it . 7 times failed with Windows Update and 2 times with MediaCreationToolx64.exe tool . I quit

Interesting. The latest optional update for Windows 8.1 makes the 'Windows 10' icon vanish altogether.

I wonder if M$ are trying to tell us something.....

Dave

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Interesting. The latest optional update for Windows 8.1 makes the 'Windows 10' icon vanish altogether.

I wonder if M$ are trying to tell us something.....

Dave
    I think they're trying to tell you the same thing that has existed throughout their entire history of issuing "upgrades" to their operating systems:

Wait until a manufacturer installs a certified working copy of Win 10 on a production machine and then go buy the machine. Otherwise, beat your brains out against a brick wall with all the troubles updating files, drivers, etc.

I learned this after the Win98 "upgrade" for Win95.

Well, I'm still waiting for the download. I updated from dos to win95. Then to win98. Then to winXP. Then to Win7. Never had a problem.

I have lost count of how many times I tried upgrading from Windows 7. I have run the Download Tool 64x, I have created a USB installer, used Windows Update, run my anti virus software, disabled the anti virus software, disabled Windows Defender, cleaned the registry, repaired the registry, repaired permissions all to end up with the same install error at approx. 45 %. I think I might just give up now, I am lost.

Well curiosity got the better of me. Tried it didn't like it got rid of it. The bright side is it took only 30 minutes to revert back to W7 and all is running as before compared to the 4 hours it took to install 10. The reasons were 1. the GPU driver installed with W10 didn't play well with my older games and there are no other options for my old on board GPU 2. most of the new features were things I'll probably never use anyway 3. there was a background service called runtimebroker which kept my CPU pegged at least 20% and up to 40% with no programs or Apps running and no amount of shutting it down would keep it off nor could be moved or deleted or disabled.

So Thanks MS but no thanks I'll keep what I got.

Quote Originally Posted by gradyhappyg View Post
    Well curiosity got the better of me. Tried it didn't like it got rid of it. The bright side is it took only 30 minutes to revert back to W7 and all is running as before compared to the 4 hours it took to install 10. The reasons were 1. the GPU driver installed with W10 didn't play well with my older games and there are no other options for my old on board GPU 2. most of the new features were things I'll probably never use anyway 3. there was a background service called runtimebroker which kept my CPU pegged at least 20% and up to 40% with no programs or Apps running and no amount of shutting it down would keep it off nor could be moved or deleted or disabled. So Thanks MS but no thanks I'll keep what I got.
    That's what I wanted to hear. I've trimmed my W7 rig down to just 35 processes running including AV, didn't want anything new slowing FSX down. I have no use for touch screens, apps, talking assistants, or the like. My interest is waning. Somebody tell me why I need Windows 10 before I cancel the reservation.

I think I'll hang on to my copy of Win7 and just buy Win10 if I decide to get it at some point.

I just did a windows update and one of the optional updates it offered was for this
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664
    It might be some help for those having problems so check windows update before trying to upgrade again, this ones for Win7 but there may be a similar one for Win8 too.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Just a point of interest, the W10 notification icon disappeared from the taskbar. I checked the Windows update settings and they had been changed from check for updates and let me choose to automatic. I changed it back as I really don't want W10 installed until at the very least most of the glitches have been solved.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Just a point of interest, the W10 notification icon disappeared from the taskbar. I checked the Windows update settings and they had been changed from check for updates and let me choose to automatic. I changed it back as I really don't want W10 installed until at the very least most of the glitches have been solved.
    It didn't do that for me. I've just checked and mine is still as it was (let me choose).

Dave

Blog Entries
    Me too! Installed perfectly in less than 40 minutes. One thing: i installed using a ISO (Not win upgrade icon) created thru MS site. Put the disc and it did the rest, including activating it for me. To be honest, the only thing that win10 failed was detecting my USB 3.0 ports and ASUS donīt have a win10 driver yet. Aside that, everything perfect and FSX-SE working likea charm.

Where did you find the activation key? I've tried using my Windows 7 key and it doesn't except it.

Ian

Members who have read this thread: 3