Kitty Hawk Class Aircraft Carriers - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kitty Hawk Class Aircraft Carriers

Great to hear from you Gary + many thanks again for your Oriskany and Midway which continue to be source of endless enjoyment!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Thanks Gary I understand about the work thing I'm in the same boat but I'll double check everything before posting it will only be posted to SOH as requested I've already stated in the readme not to upload anywhere else. I need to smarten up the platforms on oriskney I only did it as a trial run and they were quite rough so it should be up by the weekend. After further experiments on other Sketchup models I think the rule of thumb should be either fit by material or manually fit platforms. Preferably the latter.

Midways Up

I'm working on Oriskney now
    Last edited by Hooky722; September 18th, 2015 at 09:48.

Cheers Hooky

ATB
    DaveB

Many thanks !
    My Military Flight Videos :

Does it work?

Does it work?
    Oh, I think so!! Great work Hooky!!

image hosting over 5mb
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Oriskany has smooth 30 fps from stern to bow - through the jet blast screen area.

Midway ditto - except that the deck crowd are hovering 6 feet up in the air - and stayed stationary when I set the boat in forward motion.

One other thing - I get a nasty building crash about amidships taxiing from the trap zone forward to the cat launch area on Collin's/Lazuras's (FSX converted) Essex models (Boxer, Valley Forge and Leyte). Can anything be done about that?

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    One other thing - I get a nasty building crash about amidships taxiing from the trap zone forward to the cat launch area on Collin's/Lazuras's (FSX converted) Essex models (Boxer, Valley Forge and Leyte). Can anything be done about that?
    If memory serves this issue came up when Lazarus first converted the carriers to FSX I think it had something to do with the crash barrier which was selectable in cfs2 but permanently 'up' when first ported over to FSX there was some issue about getting rid of it as it would require the model to be edited in order to rectify it I can't remember what happened with this but I think it was just made invisible as an interim measure I'll see if I can look into it

Oriskany has smooth 30 fps from stern to bow - through the jet blast screen area.

Midway ditto - except that the deck crowd are hovering 6 feet up in the air - and stayed stationary when I set the boat in forward motion.

Check the static CG height entry in the sim files for both midway and the deckpark they should both be at '
    '0'

Playing with the statics, put them on board the Mustang Tales USS Shangri-La. This is just the recovery statics, still need to do the
    launch statics. Getting them to the right height is adjusted in the sim cfg (static CG height). I did notice that the tail sits to high.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Sorry for the absence! I have been working a lot, and then my computer took a dump on me. I almost have everything back up.

So could it be the platforms causing the issue? Would re-exporting from SU and making one solid platform manually? As of now, I have it Auto-platformed using MCX.

Quote Originally Posted by WombRaider78 View Post
    Sorry for the absence! I have been working a lot, and then my computer took a dump on me. I almost have everything back up.

So could it be the platforms causing the issue? Would re-exporting from SU and making one solid platform manually? As of now, I have it Auto-platformed using MCX.
    Hey Warren glad to see your back mate yes we've isolated an issue with Autoplatforming in mcx for some reason it
    Generates loads 0000's when I looked at it so placing them manually is by far the best option I have already been through the Forestall class on my rig and done so but haven't gotten as far as kitty hawk class yet. I would be happy to share with you what I've done but I'm not home atm so it will have to be later on

Hooky

It can certainly put platforms where you neither want nor need them. I let it auto-platform Mispillion a couple of weeks ago and ironically.. the only place it didn't put one was where I wanted one.. on the landing platform!! Tried again with a converted CFS2 Knox class and it did exactly the same. For sure.. adding platforms manually would seem a lot more cost effective

ATB
    DaveB

Hooky..

Just noticed Oriskany was up too. Tried this and it's fine matey
    ATB
    DaveB

Frame rates are good! However, I confirm this strange occurrence that Expat found. Aircraft stay at the origination point. All is well if carrier is not moving. Very strange in that did not occur with the original mdl file - the objects moved together. Any ideas on how to remedy that?

Deke

Deke I think its got something to do with the Static CG height entry in the ships sim.cfg file see below the default entry is 5.0 the correct entry on the right is 0.0 see image below.

Hope this helps everyone.

Cheers,

Hooky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fix1.jpg  

This is what I'm seeing when I select the full-deck version of Midway in AICarriers. The aircraft keep pace with the ship but they are all several hundred ft aft of where they should be positioned on the flight deck.

Do these carriers have a frequency by which these can be located?

Cees

I think I have sorted out the height issue by making all the sim.cfg's static cg height = 0, but like Tarpsbird I am having the deckcrowd (including F4U's on the Essex boats) left behind floating in the air and trailing the carrier once it is set to move forward in AICarriers2. It's behaviour is almost like it not having as much physics mass as the ship so it slides off as the ship accelerates. Sometimes get this with the flyable model on the deck appearing to slip backwards (actually staying stationary) after pressing "1" to start the ship moving forward, which you can quickly correct by pressing slew or brakes to get the wheels to "stick" to the deck so plane and ship are now moving together.

Well all right then! Changing CG height to zero in the sim.cfg file resolved the displaced aircraft problem, they stay parked now. Thank you Hooky!

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Do these carriers have a frequency by which these can be located?

Cees
    Sylvain Parouty's RFN TACAN Gauge has a XML file that allows you to add carriers with their own TACAN channels. I have not done it but it doesn't look difficult.

Members who have read this thread: 3