Kitty Hawk Class Aircraft Carriers - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kitty Hawk Class Aircraft Carriers

Ah ha!!

Never knew you could set crash tolerance. Where do you change this setting?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Ah ha!!

Never knew you could set crash tolerance. Where do you change this setting?

It is under realism settings...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crashes.jpg  

Mine is set to 100%

:-)

Cees

BTW: I started a project......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wip.jpg  

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Mine is set to 100%

Cees

How many ping-pong balls are enclosed inside the deck to make it float ?????

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    How many ping-pong balls are enclosed inside the deck to make it float ?????

Hahaha, didn't start on the hull yet!

Cees

Mine is set to 100%

Cees

I would try to set it down just a bit. 100% seems a little overly realistic when it comes to carrier landings and ops. The undercarriages of Naval aircraft are lot more sturdy than it leads you to believe in the sim.

Nice start! I wish someone would take up making an entire Essex class. The Oriskany is top notch and I love it. BUT I wish that there were more ships represented in the class. Like the USS Lexington, Shangri La, and others.

I would try to set it down just a bit. 100% seems a little overly realistic when it comes to carrier landings and ops. The undercarriages of Naval aircraft are lot more sturdy than it leads you to believe in the sim.
    Will follow your advice Warren. Like Cees, I have always had it and the other settings "full right" and think I suffer too many trap crashes than I deserve! Switching crash detection off completely on the other hand takes too much of the suspense and excitement of a safe landing . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Switching crash detection off completely on the other hand takes too much of the suspense and excitement of a safe landing . .

I agree. That sucks all of the life out of it.

The Oriskany is top notch and I love it. BUT I wish that there were more ships represented in the class. Like the USS Lexington, Shangri La, and others.
    There is a small set of straight deck Essex class originally by Collin G., and modded for FSX by Lazarus. The Valley Forge and Boxer are in the Library and you can change textures and numbers to get both WWII and Korea boats of your choice - there are more textures at CG's Shipyard's for this.
    Had hoped one could morph Gary's O-boat into other angle deck Essex class CV's with just texture changes but he said the hull numbers are baked into the model. Would welcome some of the SEA angle decked veterans like Intrepid, Hancock, Bonnie Dick and Shangri La that saw action before they were decomissioned.

There is a small set of straight deck Essex class originally by Collin G., and modded for FSX by Lazarus. The Valley Forge and Boxer are in the Library and you can change textures and numbers to get both WWII and Korea boats of your choice - there are more textures at CG's Shipyard's for this.
    Had hoped one could morph Gary's O-boat into other angle deck Essex class CV's with just texture changes but he said the hull numbers are baked into the model. Would welcome some of the SEA angle decked veterans like Intrepid, Hancock, Bonnie Dick and Shangri La that saw action before they were decomissioned.

I have taken quite a few older CFS2 models and converted them to carriers in FSX for my own personal use.

I am talking the SCB-125 upgraded versions of the Essex class.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCB-125

I'm working on it-just don't want to give to much away with teaser shots as I need to get Ark Royal finished first.....suffice as to say an '11', '19', '31' and '34' are being modified. Completely new boat(s), with textures, crew and statics.

;-)

G

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    I'm working on it-just don't want to give to much away with teaser shots as I need to get Ark Royal finished first.....suffice as to say an '11', '19', '31' and '34' are being modified. Completely new boat(s), with textures, crew and statics.

;-)

G

This is AWESOME news! Is the CV-16 in the pipeline too? Probably the most known boat in the class.

I wish there were some good drawings that one could work with. Drawings of the straight deck Essex Class can be found on the web, the angled deck versions are harder to get.

Cees

Cees,
    I rode the elevator on the Nimitz! Went below, used push-back to get off, looked around, got back on and went topside again. Pretty slick animation, the way the safety cables come out of the deck. They were having fried chicken on the main mess line, I smelled it while I was in the hangar bay.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Cees,
    I rode the elevator on the Nimitz! Went below, used push-back to get off, looked around, got back on and went topside again. Pretty slick animation, the way the safety cables come out of the deck. They were having fried chicken on the main mess line, I smelled it while I was in the hangar bay.
    LOL!

Cees

suffice as to say an '11', '19', '31' and '34' are being modified. Completely new boat(s), with textures, crew and statics.
    An outstanding development!!

Quote Originally Posted by WombRaider78 View Post
    This is AWESOME news! Is the CV-16 in the pipeline too? Probably the most known boat in the class.
    Yes CV-16 is also in the pipeline. The reason I picked those 4 pennant numbers first is that each of the hulls have small structural differences in the island, crane position, quarterdeck etc. (for example the bow of Oriskany and BonneHomme Richard are slightly different, as is intrepids stern). Once the mesh for each layout is complete, it's a case of adding the appropriate pennant number in the texture to the correct model (the pennant numbers will be in the texture not hard modelled in the hull).

For anyone who has been following the progress of Ark Royal (V) over at flying stations - the Essex class are to the same model level...that is the full hull with rudder, propellers etc. Once I've mastered the art of animating the type 1022 radar I intend to add animations to the Essex class...namely radar and blast deflectors. I'll soon be publishing pictures of the deck crew/ships company for 'Ark' and I've laid out the texture sheets so they can be quickly converted to the US Navy equivalent. I'm about 60% there with the Essex class mesh, 35% on texturing.

The reason I haven't published any pictures are mainly I need to get permission from another developer for some of the work, and also as soon as you publish WIP pictures I've noticed you get flooded with 'could I have/would it be possible to add/would like to see' requests and I think that's where I went wrong with Midway. I tried to cater for everyone's requests to have clear/partial/full deck configs with an urgency to get it to people who were asking for it. I rushed it and uploaded without being 100% happy it was at the level I wanted it to be. I never really fly from Midway as a result. Now, I intend to build models I want to see in my sim with the level of detail I want. With luck, it'll also meet everyone's else's needs. If not...well I've realised no matter how hard you try you can't cater for everyone!

Anyway- I don't want to hijack the kitty hawk thread but rest assured once you start seeing images of Ark Royal under test in FSX the Essex class thread will be resurrected....and I think you'll be pleased with the results

Cheers
    G

With this kind of news you may hijack any thread!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Cees,

We we need to have a "Steel Beach" day, complete with cut-off 50 gal drums, full of brewskies! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    We we need to have a "Steel Beach" day, complete with cut-off 50 gal drums, full of brewskies! NC
    And the cooks use so much starter fluid on the charcoal that your steak tastes like it was cooked over burning JP-5. Still hit the spot with some baked beans and cole slaw.

With this kind of news you may hijack any thread!

Cees
    My feelings too. Anyway this has kinda morphed into a "FSX Carrier Development" thread so I'm happy to read all this good stuff.

Follow up

Any more news on the updates of the angled Essex boats by gp183601??

Yes, please ! I've been waiting for Intrepid to show up. Many an hour was spent flying plane guard for the "Fighting Lady".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan212a.jpg  

Update is an scb-125 Essex class is done, far superior to oriskany, and good to go. Two caveats:
    1) I need permission from another author for one of the major components
    2) I was working on an invincible class (1982) plus type 21 frigate for DaveB. As a homage to Dave I'm finishing off those models first with support from Henrik to include in his next ai ship package.

cheers
    Gaz

I'd like to see the USS Hancock and the USS Bon Home Richard (Bonnie Dick) - The F-8 squadron I was with was embarked on both ships back in 65/67 time frame (WestPac cruises).
    I can almost smell the stack gas when I look at the photo (#259^) of the Hancock. And the smoke billowing out the stack from that oiler in between - unrep (#259) Cough Cough.....

Members who have read this thread: 3