Help! FSX not working on Windows 10 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! FSX not working on Windows 10

It appears that the DX12 in the latest build of Windows 10 is not backwards compatible with either DX9 or 10. Which is strange, because on my Windows 7 machine, there is only DirectX11 and I can run FSX and FS9 on it without any problem whatsoever.

My conclusion would be that the DirectX 12 in this build is only backwards compatible with DX11, given that the Op can run Prepar3D v2.5 on it without any problem.

I doubt very much though that Microsoft will shoot themselves in the foot by not addressing this after recently having sold the FSX franchise to Dovetail.

Has someone over here ever done the test with FSX/DX10 and Windows 10?

Johan

DirectX packages aren´t backward compatible by itself. If you want to use DX9 you have to download and install dx9 runtime. The same for each dx distro. if you have a win7 that runs dx9, it must be installed sometime by some game,update,etc. Does anybody here installed the dx9 package already to test?

https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/down....aspx?id=34429

I will only test windows10 after it´s official release, so can´t comment further now
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Thanks Flaviossa! maybe this could be the solution for the OP!

Johan

Solved

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Thanks Flaviossa! maybe this could be the solution for the OP!

Johan
    No, I found the real solution. I selected "Use DirectX 10 Preview" in the Settings page. Now FSX_SE is working, finally.

I hope the moderator can add [SOLVED] to the title of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post
    No, I found the real solution. I selected "Use DirectX 10 Preview" in the Settings page. Now FSX_SE is working, finally.

Prefer not to close this thread, thank you. I don't use DirectX 10 Preview and I'm running FSXA. I'd like to know how FSXA works (or not) with Win10 as it will help me determine if and when I should go to Win10. Thanks.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

In fact it´s not the real solution because you´re running in dx10 now. Not dx9 as like 80% of FSX users do. If someone with the same error as op, please, try executing the dx9 runtime and see if the problem is gone?

An addendun to my previous post, please run this too as it´s a complement to the dx9.0c to the latest standards (By the time it was released):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -

The final dx9 version should read: 9.29.1974

If you prefer, there is a web installer too:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

There is a little tool that checks if dx9.0c is intalled in your machine:
    http://breakthrusoftware.com/html/on.../DXTester.html
    (Don´t worry, the .EXE file is virus free, i already tested and used it)

Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post

With all due respect, that is not a solution, but rather a workaround. Warhorse is right!

Please keep this thread open for people using older flightsims!

Johan

M$ did something similar to this during the Win8 preview phase.
    They changed the display drivers so that FSX (and FS9, briefly) wouldn't work, and we had to wait until the final launch version became available.

When the final launch happened the display drivers were suddenly backwards-compatible and FSX (and FS9) worked again.
    The only problem then was that installing Win8 rewrote the registry - so we had to install FSX (and FS9) from scratch - losing a lot of add-ons.
    Do you all have every single installer for all your add-ons?

I remember ranting about it in this forum (and the M$ forum) at the time.

Nobody can tell me if installing Win10 will do that again - and I'm definitely NOT installing Win10 unless it can be demonstrated that it leaves P3D, FSX (and FS9) workable after installing.
    I have spent far too much to risk it.

Dave

Icon14 Re-Solved

I was able to install DirectX 9 using @flaviossa's link, and the DXTester program shows it is installed. DXDiag still shows DirectX 12, though.

I unchecked the "Preview DirectX 10" option, and tried to run FSX_SE. It was still a black screen, untill I switched to Windowed display. Lo! and behold, the display works in windowed mode. I switched back to full screen mode, and it kept working.

So, finally, DirectX 9 can be installed on Windows 10, but NOT from the Web installer.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this solution!
    Last edited by jschall; July 18th, 2015 at 09:49.

Thanks for your report jschall. It helps when win10 is released and people will step on this situation.

Members who have read this thread: 0