Virtualcol Otter X _ July 17th - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Virtualcol Otter X _ July 17th

Interestingly, I have no piston version of the Harbor Air amphibian
    either before or after the update, turbo version only.

The only Harbor Air repaint texture folder is named Texture.hbair
    and is in Vcol_dhc3t_otter_f

Here we are again! Having another look it seems that the update put the turbo amphib aircraft details in the piston amphib details cfg file as well as the correct turbo one. I have taken the original 5 aircraft details & replaced the incorrect aircraft only as the cfg file for the piston amphib seems to be correct. I now have all 5 piston amphibs showing & available - but whether everything else is correct I don't know as I couldn't get the thing started! I have now given up until this gets sorted out! ChrisJD

Hi Chris - I merged the top part of the original piston amphib cfg with the lower part of the turbo amphib and discovered it wouldn't start, so I edited the merged config to declare the engine as piston, not turbine. That got me started and I took off, with the rpm showing a more sensible figure than the pre-update one. However I then found the gear would not retract, so now I will need to swap in the contact points from the piston amphib, which should fix that and also the tail-heavy floating condition. Fingers crossed...

MikeW

Hi MikeW Your mail was very helpful because it shows we are on the right lines. Following your idea, I copy/pasted the new & old cfg. on the desktop to compare them. I then copy/pasted any changes I could see from the old to the new. Now at last the piston amphib starts & flies OK. However, if there were any changes to the config from the update I may have overwritten them - which rather defeats the object of the exercise! I think I will wait & see if there is going to be an upgrade to the upgrade. In the meantime I am attempting to master flying the Huey in DCS World. Regards, ChrisJD

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJD View Post
    Hi MikeW Your mail was very helpful because it shows we are on the right lines. Following your idea, I copy/pasted the new & old cfg. on the desktop to compare them. I then copy/pasted any changes I could see from the old to the new. Now at last the piston amphib starts & flies OK. However, if there were any changes to the config from the update I may have overwritten them - which rather defeats the object of the exercise! I think I will wait & see if there is going to be an upgrade to the upgrade. In the meantime I am attempting to master flying the Huey in DCS World. Regards, ChrisJD
    Have you contacted the developer concerning the problems you've had?

How I fixed the update

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Have you contacted the developer concerning the problems you've had?
    I certainly will write to Virtualcol about my experience with their update.

Here is what I noticed and how I fixed it:

The update introduced errors into a single aircraft.cfg file, the one for Vcol_dhc3p_otter_f, which is supposed to be for the piston amphibian, with five liveries.

But in each of the [fltsim.x] (x=0,1,2,3,4) entries, there are two errors - the word "turbo" in the "title =" line, AND the letter "t" in the "sim =" line. Deleting the offending characters in those ten lines in that single aircraft.cfg file eliminated the duplicates and restored all the Otter variants.

I think the guys at Virtualcol should know about the problems their update created.

The RCAF piston Otter now has a full matt cowl, but I still don't like the colour (with a "u") of the roundel...

Solved

Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post
    I have written to Virtualcol about my experience with their update.

Here is what I noticed and how I fixed it:

The update introduced errors into a single aircraft.cfg file, the one for Vcol_dhc3p_otter_f, which is supposed to be for the piston amphibian, with five liveries.

But in each of the [fltsim.x] (x=0,1,2,3,4) entries, there are two errors - the word "turbo" in the "title =" line, AND the letter "t" in the "sim =" line. Deleting the offending characters in those ten lines in that single aircraft.cfg file eliminated the duplicates and restored all the Otter variants.

I think the guys at Virtualcol should know about the problems their update created.

The RCAF piston Otter now has a full matt cowl, but I still don't like the colour (with a "u") of the roundel...
    Just wanted to update my post to say I have written to Virtualcol about the problem with their update.

Isn't it odd that not everyone had the same problem with the same installer?

It certainly complicates things, but I think we are all seeing different aspects of the same basic problem. As far as I can figure it:
    The update changes the cfg for dhc3p (f) to have the same details as dhc3t (f)
    That causes the 'duplicate names' warning, but that is just a warning - the FSX selection screen shows the planes by 'name' alphabetically, ignoring duplicates, so 'p' gets in and 't' misses out BUT
    the turbine paints don't fit the prop model, so they don't display either...

I think that is what causes the disappearances. The updated cfg creates the mismatches, and FSX reacts to them.

MikeW

I did the update a week ago and had no issues?

Steam?

The problem I had was with FSX Steam Edition. Maybe the update installer has a problem finding the proper folder? It should just use the key in the Registry.

I haven't heard back from Virtualcol yet...

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post
    The problem I had was with FSX Steam Edition. Maybe the update installer has a problem finding the proper folder? It should just use the key in the Registry.

I haven't heard back from Virtualcol yet...
    I just tried installing the Otter in Steam (I had previously installed it in my FSX Boxed installation). I installed the full base package and the update with no issues. I am not sure what is causing the problems that you are seeing but at a guess it is something specific to the way the installation software is interacting with your FSX install (no idea what that would be) rather than a generic problem with the Virtualcol installation program

Also there is no piston engine version with the Harbour Air paint scheme, just a Turboprop Amphibian. (both with just the base pack installed and after installing the update)

Gavin

what's the big problem

I have been flying both the radial vs and turbo all over CANADA , and had no problems. Virtualcol is not finished with this plane as of yet. There some surprises in the near future , that I am sure you are going to like.

dhc3p(f) updates with the same cfg file as dhc3t(f). It would seem in compiling the update, the wrong cfg file has been included in the dhc3p(f) folder.
    We can, as suggested above, edit the 'wrong' cfg file to allow the correct dhc3p aircraft to show, but what we don't have are whatever flight dynamic tweaks for the piston amphib that should accompany the new .air file.

Considering that everyone who has this airplane downloads the same base installer and then the same update installer hasn't it crossed anyone's mind (those having a problem) that it probably isn't the installer at all but maybe something related to how your systems are configured? If the update installer is really bad then everyone would be seeing the same problems. Also, I have yet to see where anyone has contacted the developer and gotten a definitive answer on the problems mentioned here. . .at least if they have that answer hasn't been presented here to help the others.

It's like one developer last year put it when some individuals were having problems with their installer and complained that it was somehow his fault. . . ."It's not like I put out two different installers. . .one good and one bad and you just have to take pot luck as to which one you get". If only a few are having problems, but everyone has the same installer. . .then it's not the installer.

Not sure if this may be the culprit, but today's Antiviruses are very powerful, and invasive beyond belief.

I always shut mine down to download and install everything.

I don't disagree, Falcon, but should've said I didn't let the installer update FSX directly, but created a separate folder so I could see what it would install.
    Based on the findings reported in earlier posts on this thread, I looked closely at the cfg files. Everything updates like with like, except the cfg file for the piston amphib. It has the correct file name but the content - including the individual aircraft details - are for the turbine amphib.
    I assume this is the case for everyone who has installed the update - but I can't explain why it seems only to be a problem for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Hdguy View Post
    Not sure if this may be the culprit, but today's Antiviruses are very powerful, and invasive beyond belief.

I always shut mine down to download and install everything.
    That somehow defeats their purpose ......
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Update for Vcol Otter VC Textures

I was not real happy with the appearance of the VC on this plane, so I have done a few modifications to the VC textures. I have uploaded this mod to Flightsim.com for anyone who is interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015_09_21_12_27_35_Greenshot_zpsb4f4yv0y.jpg  

I can't find it. Do you have a link or file name or something? Thanks.

It must still be waiting for admin approval.

Camera definitions for Vcol Otter

These work for both the Piston and Turbine models.

[CameraDefinition.0]
    Title=Right float
    Guid={B0CA7E72-F3D9-F748-8BF5-108D197B2469}
    Description=Vista hacia adelante, desde el extremo posterior, del flotador derecho
    Origin=Center
    SnapPbhAdjust=Swivel
    SnapPbhReturn=FALSE
    PanPbhAdjust=Swivel
    PanPbhReturn=FALSE
    Track=None
    ShowAxis=FALSE
    AllowZoom=TRUE
    InitialZoom=.5
    ShowWeather=Yes
    InitialXyz=3.5, 0.5, -3.9
    InitialPbh=0, 0, 0