Thread: Virtualcol Otter X _ July 17th

Virtualcol Otter X _ July 17th

I seem to read about new releases here first,
    so for a change let me be the first to point to
    Virtualcol

I know it's not the first topic.....

Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by stovall; July 17th, 2015 at 20:38.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Nick,
    at $12.50 you can't got wrong can you! What's that about 9 quid.

Ian

£8.25, even with Paypal's dire exchange rate.

First impressions.... it has real potential.

The turbine flight model is... not great, but turbines rarely are, it could do with some work to be honest. The piston.. much much better...

Model quality is much better than their usual stuff, I rather like it... its not A2A, but it won't hog your frames, and its decent enough...

Textures... externally need work, (I might sort that myself) internally... yeah not great, but will do... (again, a potential upgrade when I finish the Mallard)

Overall, compared to what we have in the way of otters... amazing, compared to the Aerosoft beaver? eh.... its actually a fairly close one... that old thing hasn't aged well, textures suck, and the model wasn't too high detail. This... is an improvement on past products, not huge, but its a step... and it can be improved.

Otterly acceptable in my book!

And more than reasonably priced too!

Johan

I've had a quick look now.
    For sure it's very good value, there is every
    configuration of the aircraft possible.
    I found the aircraft outside view was zoomed
    too far out for my liking but there is an excellent
    little utility (RADItor) which will correct this.
    Changing the radius to 10 seems to do the trick.

For now and for my own use only, I have inserted the default
    Beaver interior model into the piston engine variants and the
    result is really very satisfactory.

I agree with Firekitten, it does have potential and as far as I know
    is the only native FSX model of the aircraft type.

Well, the interior and specially the VC looks a good deal better than what I´ve seen from the develloper.

It looks like 3d gauges (faded) and the GPS, is it 3d as well?

I´m interested, but I´ve just purchased 2 AC so it´ll have to wait. No need to push anything.

3d bezzels and surrounds with 2d backgrounds I think, didn't look too closely, but might be 3d too. I've done some quick work with the textures externally and it already looks far better... when I have something definitive, ill post a revised paint kit.

Can't argue with that price! It actually looks quite decent, too....with the minor exception of the default GPS500 slapped onto the panel front & center. This will definitely be my first Virtualcol purchase...
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Firekitten View Post
    3d bezzels and surrounds with 2d backgrounds I think, didn't look too closely, but might be 3d too. I've done some quick work with the textures externally and it already looks far better... when I have something definitive, ill post a revised paint kit.
    Thanks in anticipation, Rachael.

Icon26 Thank you Firekitten,

Quote Originally Posted by Firekitten View Post
    First impressions.... it has real potential.

The turbine flight model is... not great, but turbines rarely are, it could do with some work to be honest. The piston.. much much better...

Model quality is much better than their usual stuff, I rather like it... its not A2A, but it won't hog your frames, and its decent enough...

Textures... externally need work, (I might sort that myself) internally... yeah not great, but will do... (again, a potential upgrade when I finish the Mallard)

Overall, compared to what we have in the way of otters... amazing, compared to the Aerosoft beaver? eh.... its actually a fairly close one... that old thing hasn't aged well, textures suck, and the model wasn't too high detail. This... is an improvement on past products, not huge, but its a step... and it can be improved.

Otterly acceptable in my book!

Thank you very much Firekitten, You probably don't remember me . I was responsible for persuading "any producer " to do an FSX native DHC3 Otter. The more I fly and look it over I would say Jose did a great job on that radial plane. (spad jockey)

why isnt this a sticky thread.
    Normally new release get a few days or more in the sticky section. Is it because it doesn't say "released" in the headline?

Quote Originally Posted by donnybalonny View Post
    why isnt this a sticky thread.
    Normally new release get a few days or more in the sticky section. Is it because it doesn't say "released" in the headline?
    I guess no better reason than "because we just missed it". But its a sticky now.

regards,
    Huub

Icon26 Landing the Otter

Am I the only one to be having trouble landing the Otter? Despite a gentle approach I find the aircraft proceeding down the runway in a series of kangaroo hops until it runs out of speed then almost stops dead. I am experienced enough to land at least fairly well, but this is getting annoying. I also hate the tyre smoke & tyre screech which accompanies landings. Water landings are OK, but I notice the aircraft attitude when stationary seems to be tipping forward - it looks as if it is going to dive. I looked forward to the Otter being released & I think they have done a pretty good job for the price - a lot of different models & liveries. I think they require some TLC by people much more competent than me - which is not hard! Look forward to seeing if I am not alone! ChrisJD

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJD View Post
    Am I the only one to be having trouble landing the Otter? Despite a gentle approach I find the aircraft proceeding down the runway in a series of kangaroo hops until it runs out of speed then almost stops dead. I am experienced enough to land at least fairly well, but this is getting annoying. I also hate the tyre smoke & tyre screech which accompanies landings. Water landings are OK, but I notice the aircraft attitude when stationary seems to be tipping forward - it looks as if it is going to dive. I looked forward to the Otter being released & I think they have done a pretty good job for the price - a lot of different models & liveries. I think they require some TLC by people much more competent than me - which is not hard! Look forward to seeing if I am not alone! ChrisJD
    We are working on it as I type

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJD View Post

Chris change the contactspoints in the aircraft.fcg with these settings

[contact_points]
    max_number_of_points=21

point.0=1, -27.552, 0.0, -3.011, 2200, 0, 0.722, 60.0, 0.75, 2.5, 0.70, 0.0, 0.0, 0, 0, 0
    point.1=1, 0.072, -6.201, -7.380, 2200, 1, 1.44, 0.0, 0.55, 2.5, 0.60, 0.0, 0.0, 2, 0, 0
    point.2=1, 0.072, 6.201, -7.380, 2200, 2, 1.44, 0.0, 0.55, 2.5, 0.60, 0.0, 0.0, 3, 0, 0
    point.3=2, -3.353, -30.335, 4.944, 1800, 0, 0.00, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, 0.0, 0.0, 5, 0, 0
    point.4=2, -3.353, 30.335, 4.944, 1800, 0, 0.00, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, 0.0, 0.0, 6, 0, 0

gear_system_type=3
    tailwheel_lock = 1
    static_pitch= 8//10
    static_cg_height= 7.38 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground

That will improve the handling , much stiffer gear.

Wim

Now this thread is beginning to be really interesting. I will bookmark because I will travel for a month and come back and see how things are.
    Please keep posting all "fixes" here
    Thanks a lot.

Many thanks wim - that has certainly cured the kangaroo leaps down the runway - I actually managed a landing with no bounce! Makes a change! Now to remove the tyre smoke & screech, please!! By the way - the amphib lands OK with the settings as they are. What are your thoughts on the float, amphib stance on the water? Does it look as if it nose heavy? Anyway, it sounds as if I have started something with my problem. Regards & thanks. chrisjd

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    Thanks Nick,
    at $12.50 you can't got wrong can you! What's that about 9 quid.

Ian
    Really? Try telling my stomach that after last nights Taco Bell experience.....
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Otter Flaps Control?

I may be blind, but I could not find any way to operate the flaps from the Virtual Cockpit. I have to use the F5-F7 keys or the raise/lower buttons on my joystick.

I did ****. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post
    I may be blind, but I could not find any way to operate the flaps from the Virtual Cockpit. I have to use the F5-F7 keys or the raise/lower buttons on my joystick.

I did ****. Am I missing something?
    There is a simicon on the panel for that. Click the one that resembles an aircraft and it brings up a pop-up. I don't think there's an animated control actually in the VC though. Like you, I haven't found one anyway.

Facon409 is absolutely right. The aircraft icon brings up a rather clumsy flap operation, also the rudder & elevator trim & the engine primer. It is a shame because both the flap lever & the elevator trim are tucked down beside the pilots seat on the right hand side - but do nothing except show the trim position. I'm sure it would have been just as easy to have these actually operate these controls instead of a pop up. Oh Well - you pays yer money & yer takes yer pick. (Old English saying) Regards, chrisjd

Actually after further investigation, the flap controls to the lower right of the pilots seat do animate. They are just fwd of the pitch trim wheel (which isn't animated but does show the needle movement).

Is anyone else having a problem slowing the Turbo version on landing? Actually even after I have slowed it to a crawl, if I release the brakes, it will slowly gain speed again. . .increasing until it reaches about 53kts. I've checked the website for any updates, but nothing there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Is anyone else having a problem slowing the Turbo version on landing? Actually even after I have slowed it to a crawl, if I release the brakes, it will slowly gain speed again. . .increasing until it reaches about 53kts. I've checked the website for any updates, but nothing there yet.
    I do not have it yet so I am only guessing but does it allow beta on the prop like other turboprops. Maybe try moving the controls to half reverse and see if that helps.

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0