Memphis Belle to fly again - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memphis Belle to fly again

I could have used these years ago when I was building my 1/48 scale Memphis Belle lol

The B-17F "Hell's Angels", which was the actual first B-17 to complete 25 missions, also got the graffiti treatment when it eventually returned State-side and flew across the country on its war bond tour, like the 'Belle. It seems everyone that came into contact with these aircraft wanted to leave their mark.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

The crowds having at it on the "Memphis Belle" - most of these signatures can still be seen etched in the metal today, all part of the history: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/sha...-1234S-012.jpg

I've always felt this is a fantastic shot, with the composition of the guns.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Where on earth do you dig up these shots John... they're just great. The Gyro Directional Compass on the glareshield of the Belle is not standard F-10 fare, Must have been fitted for or during the trip home. We have a bog standard F-10 cockpit so that it will fit with other F-10s.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Where on earth do you dig up these shots John... they're just great. The Gyro Directional Compass on the glareshield of the Belle is not standard F-10 fare, Must have been fitted for or during the trip home. We have a bog standard F-10 cockpit so that it will fit with other F-10s.
    I'd venture to say that Mr Terrill's source(s) are identical to the ones I used for the pics I previously posted ^.

Here is a link to some additional info for your perusal:

http://spotlights.fold3.com/2013/03/...memphis-belle/

watch documentary Here
    Last edited by gray eagle; July 19th, 2015 at 05:28.

Baz, I suspect your absolutely right regarding the directional compass atop the instrument panel shroud, being a post-factory/in-service modification. In a 1970's era photo of the Belle's cockpit, that gauge and bracket are long gone, but then in a collection of photos of the interior restoration of the aircraft as of 2009/2010, the bracket for the gauge is fitted again.

Right now, at the USAF Museum, they are waiting for the interior restoration of the Memphis Belle to be completed before they paint the exterior. Last I heard they expect it to take up to two more years to complete the restoration.

Another cockpit detail I've picked up on over the years is the communications radios used in the B-17's in England. Usually the B-17 cockpits are always modeled with the standard/factory-type installation of the SCR-274 radio set, as would have been used State-side and in some Theatres like the CBI. However, in England, the SCR-274 set wasn't fully supported, and the VHF SCR-522 radio set (British TR-1133) was the only standard/norm. Rather than the BC-450 control box (SCR-274) fitted to the ceiling of the cockpit (you can see it removed in the photo of the cockpit of the Memphis Belle, with just the mount/plugs remaining), a BC-602 control box for the SCR-522 was attached to the left of the center console, in easy reach of the pilot. All bombers, fighters, and troop carriers flying in and out of England required this particular radio set, and it also became the standard VHF set in the Pacific as well.

Now that's a great find. Never knew about that radio being located there. I know they were on the fighters. Where did you find these pics? Please share if you have more.

Here are some more photos showing the SCR-522 radio set BC-602 control box located in the cockpit. Again, this was the standard setup for B-17's and all other bombers, fighters, and troop carriers operating out of England, as the English had established all communications to be on VHF bands, which the British TR-1133 and the American copy/production version SCR-522 were designed for. The US adopted it in the Pacific Theatre as well. The only drawback to the SCR-522 was that it couldn't be used State-side during the war, since all of the State-side control towers and beacons broadcast on lower frequencies, so the SCR-522 was useless in the United States (that's why aircraft that were fitted with the SCR-522, flying across the US from places of manufacture to places of deployment, also would have a temporary Detrola receiver fitted, which picked up the low frequencies - once in Theatre, the Detrola receivers were removed).

And these photos provide a better look at the installation of the BC-602 control. This is a very accurate/authentic B-17G cockpit/fuselage recreation, using a lot of original parts and built using the original Boeing blueprints. More photos can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17-...=photos_stream

Here are some more not often seen photos of the "Memphis Belle".

Here's another cockpit photo that goes along with one of those I posted above. Note the interesting setup of the turbo tachometers in the location of where you'd typically see the intercooler controls.

Great pictures John , thanks for sharing.

Huub

Interesting to see the tach on the copilot side like that. I guess when in combat the engineer is to busy up in the turret to monitor gauges.

I don't believe turbo tachometers were standard either.

Perhaps it could be used to see if there was a runaway turbo when they're up at 20k feet or even since they were individual turbo controls it would allow them to be synced up. I know on the G's where they had the turbo control knob you could calibrate them individually.
    Last edited by Shylock; July 20th, 2015 at 10:47.

We have the original factory flight and service manuals and the surprisingly frank and quite "novello" like guide with the forward by "Hap"Arnold. In these publications, the equipment levels are quite basic. A lot of field service work was carried out with the resulting head-spinning number of variants. It appears to have settled down a bit with the introduction of the "G"series.

@bazzar,
    Which will be the first? B-17F or Electra Model 10?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It's going to be a tight race! My money's on the Belle at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    It's going to be a tight race! My money's on the Belle at the moment
    Good to know.
    I'm near of the finish of "A Higher Call" with main role B-17F and 109th (or better to say pilots of this machines). Interesting book!
    Maybe not very famous like "M.Belle" but nice story too.... Good idea for the repaint also.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That is one painting I think is .. I wish I was the one who or did it , really makes you want to put your boots on, simply love that story and real superb piece off history course we all know the result .. Movie material , even make the girls cry .

Credit card is locked and loaded. I can't wait!

Something to listen to while we wait for her to be released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujr5ld4I_Xo

Oh...............my...............God.........

Only thing missing with that sound track half way through was the firing off the guns and the bursts of flak

any news on this release? trying to be patient, but I'm too excited about this release!

On the back straight now. Finishing manuals, effects and testing.

Blog Entries
    Will definitely acquire this one in the next couple months. LOOKING AWESOME!!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Members who have read this thread: 0