JF Tornado GR1 RELEASED - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: JF Tornado GR1 RELEASED

with the service pack version installed I am quite happy with the performance.

I'm 9 FPS with the fix and recommended settings. Shame, great looking model and soundset.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    Well, if you're running an i7 chipset at 2.6, then I think all your problems can be solved by going into the Bios and raising your multiplier to 10, maybe 11. That should give you about 3.3 to 3.6 ghz ...will cut through FSX like a hot knife thru buttuh
    By upping that higher setting on the CPU in a laptop, I worry about cooling.

Thoughts?

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

Yep, you don't want to overclock a laptop, unless it has ample cooling and was made for gaming.

If not, forget about it!

Johan

I have had a performance increase in prepar3d and have pretty much all the options turned on. One thing that maybe a consideration is if you run multiple sims (ie fsx+prepar3d) then you maybe only configurating the one sim using the start menu texture configuration. You need to go into the tornado/texture.vc of the particular sim and run the exe from there.

Hi Storm,
    Reading your difficulties with the Tornado, I hadn't realised that you were running your sim on a laptop. I don't have a laptop and personally would never attempt to run FsX or P3Dv2 on such a laptop, as maximising it to run at 4 Gigahertz plus would not be possible. In fact the pc I built in 2007 as my first FsX machine had a similar spec to your laptop except that it was a 32 bit machine. I'm afraid that unless or until you can upgrade you will experience difficulty with a number of the heavier FsX add-ons.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post
    By upping that higher setting on the CPU in a laptop, I worry about cooling. Thoughts?-Jeff

Well, if it's a laptop, you may not want to go to 3.3/3.6 ghz, but that is something you'd want to try incrementally and with care. You could probabably take it to 3 without any problem, but the fan will most likely run quite a lot.

You might want to install a CPU temp monitor, they're very simple to use.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...p-monitor.html

Well, after spending a lot of time today fiddling, configuring, and generally tweaking, I've got to the point where I've given up. The Tornado is now sadly uninstalled.
    I get roughly a third of the frame rates I get from, say, the VRS Superbug. Yes, I can turn down sliders & settings and the Tornado is usable, but then the overall experience isn't a pleasant one.
    Sorry JF, I really, really want to like this, it's a lovely model, but it's very poorly optimised IMHO.

A big thanks to everyone who has given feedback (good or bad) on SP1. I'm glad to see that for a lot of you it has made a big difference, and for those of you that are still finding the fps issues outside of your comfort zone we going to press on from tomorrow morning with trying to squeeze some more performance out of the model, as well as squashing any bugs that have come up since the SP release.
    FYI - it's not a case of the model being poorly built or optimised, it's just that the Tornado has too many click spots, animated parts and digital displays in the VC for FSX to be able to process efficiently (have a look at the difference in fps when you move the mouse off of the FS display and those elements aren't being processed compared to when the mouse is in play!). We don't want to be removing systems and functionality so the next step is to start replacing some of the animated parts such as the less important switches with parts that just move between on/off positions in a Boolean fashion, which should hopefully increase fps somewhat.
    Stay tuned, and rest assured that the Tornado is still very much a product that we are actively working on.

Thanks for the response. I didn't notice any difference with the cursor on or off the screen (running P3d BTW).
    Turning off some of the gauges with the config tool made next to no difference.
    I know I've mentioned this before, but the shear size of the mdl concerns me. The Tornado VC is over 100mb, whereas most other complex aircraft are a fraction of that. Has the Tornado got that many more clickspots, animations etc?
    I'll try again as and when future patches are released.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hi Storm,
    Reading your difficulties with the Tornado, I hadn't realised that you were running your sim on a laptop. I don't have a laptop and personally would never attempt to run FsX or P3Dv2 on such a laptop, as maximising it to run at 4 Gigahertz plus would not be possible. In fact the pc I built in 2007 as my first FsX machine had a similar spec to your laptop except that it was a 32 bit machine. I'm afraid that unless or until you can upgrade you will experience difficulty with a number of the heavier FsX add-ons.
    Gents, this isn't some Office Depot laptop. It's a specifically built ASUS G75 optimized for gaming. And is less than 1 month old. So I'm not seeing the problem being with my gear.

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

Quote Originally Posted by RAS_JF View Post
    A big thanks to everyone who has given feedback (good or bad) on SP1. I'm glad to see that for a lot of you it has made a big difference, and for those of you that are still finding the fps issues outside of your comfort zone we going to press on from tomorrow morning with trying to squeeze some more performance out of the model, as well as squashing any bugs that have come up since the SP release.
    FYI - it's not a case of the model being poorly built or optimised, it's just that the Tornado has too many click spots, animated parts and digital displays in the VC for FSX to be able to process efficiently (have a look at the difference in fps when you move the mouse off of the FS display and those elements aren't being processed compared to when the mouse is in play!). We don't want to be removing systems and functionality so the next step is to start replacing some of the animated parts such as the less important switches with parts that just move between on/off positions in a Boolean fashion, which should hopefully increase fps somewhat.
    Stay tuned, and rest assured that the Tornado is still very much a product that we are actively working on.
    So the Tornado has more displays and click spots than FSX/P3D can handle - why? And why wasn't this picked up on during testing?

Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post
    Gents, this isn't some Office Depot laptop. It's a specifically built ASUS G75 optimized for gaming. And is less than 1 month old. So I'm not seeing the problem being with my gear.

-Jeff
    We understand Jeff, but the simple truth is that FSX/Prepar3D will need more than 2.6 Ghz. Especially when running FSX in whatever flavour. P3D makes more use of the GPU instead of the CPU like FSX does.

I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings...

Johan

The flight model is improved but still there are some issues IMO.
    1) if i am at low level with wings forward and make small pitch movements , the flight path marker jumps eratically up and down
    2) if i make a hard turn (90 deg. bank to the left or to the right) ,the speed drops down, but when i'm no longer pulling back on the stick , the speed jumps up.
    3) also at low level with wings back and a 500 kt speed, when i make a turn with 40 - 50 bank and pull gently back, the plane gains altitude, even if the flight path marker is leveled at 0 degress Line. In that case, to make a turn without gaining altitude,
    the flight path marker should be placed in a - 3 to 5 deg. angle.
    I have recorded some videos with fraps but i don't know how to decompress and upload them faster on youtube
    I have already submitted a ticket, as i'm experiencing some other problems (mainly with the wing/ flap lever), but haven't received an answer after a week or so.

Charter Member 2012
    My system specs are The wifey says no to a new computer

Wow, just got the Tornado. In my first flight, after 25 seconds after takeoff, my vanilla FSX (Running in Win10 Dx9) said to me: "Goodbye, you donīt have more memory to run". And close
    Amazing.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Yeah, JF has been working on patches since release. They've yet to fix the majority of the FPS issues. Waiting patiently for SP2...

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

The model is quite hard on VAS with the hi-rez textures. Use the configuration tool to switch to the low rez ones and you should have a lot more success (without much noticeable loss in image quality). JF might be better off delivering it with the lo-rez textures as default.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Golding View Post
    This was bug reported during the beta and I was the only one experiencing it. Like you, I found it made no difference whether loaded or clean and I repeatedly checked for fuel imbalance.

Then, for the last few beta versions (including the release candidate), the problem vanished. Thinking back though, it may well have been connected with changes I made in the controller settings after reading some comments by A2A about how 'we' should configure things. It was along the lines of 'use max sensitivities and min null zone'. There was a very good explanation of why this should be done, and seemed to revolve around the fact that most users have the wrong impression about what these settings do and how they should be set, including me. Anyway, I changed the settings as per their suggestions and maybe by pure chance, I now have a Tornado that flies straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I forgot to note this earlier but I have a 'left-hander' Tornado too. My joystick settings are default.. never played with them at all. Past experience (particularly during beta testing new models) has shown that any model displaying this characteristic is the fault of the model(airfile/cfg) not the joystick and to be honest.. keeping default settings is.. IMHO.. the way to go. You have to have a yardstick and 'default' is it.

Still.. I'm always open to suggestion and willing to keep an open mind. If the Tonka still goes to the left after the coming patch.. I'll certainly check out the sensitivities change
    ATB
    DaveB
    for those who still have this problem with the constant steering to the left i found a solution at the JF forum

you have to cut off the power with the lightning symbol at the toggle menu. then restart the power with the lightning symbol again.
    now it should flight straight on. at least it worked for me

i think its still not there where it should be performance wise but the fact that it flies straight on brought back a lot of fun actually

Cheers Rezn550.. I'll give that a shot now

EDIT: This actually works for me too but there are unwanted side effects. By turning the power off.. letting it run down then powering up again, it initialises gauges that would otherwise be off in my 'use low res textures and no gauges' mode. Juddering around the sky at 15fps (inside) and 20fps (outside) still isn't a lot of fun. The off/on would suggest (to my feeble brain) that the right engine is producing slightly more power at default start hence the left wing drop. As a test.. I tried setting up with the JF Eurofighter first (another frame hog) then selected the Tornado. All the gauges and things set to off using the Config Manager remained off but on takeoff.. down went the left wing.
    Much as it pains me to say it.. I've completely lost interest in this model now and nothing short of a miracle will get me back inside it. The power off/power on does stop the left wing drop so that's something but overall.. not enough.

ATB
    DaveB

then lets hope for a miracle for the next patch i guess

Hi all,

SP2 is now available. Visit here for full details: http://www.justflight.com/support/tornado-gr1/8479c1c. You should find that FPS and VAS usage has been significantly improved.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS_JF View Post
    Hi all,

SP2 is now available. Visit here for full details: http://www.justflight.com/support/tornado-gr1/8479c1c. You should find that FPS and VAS usage has been significantly improved.
    Thanks for the update Do we have to uninstall the aircraft before using the SP2 installer?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Members who have read this thread: 1