FM-2 Wildcat released by Allen! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FM-2 Wildcat released by Allen!

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you fixed it... I was a bit hesitant about that.

Soon as you said there was a tailhook error I knew what it was. The tailhook is user animated from key 0 to 100 but it has an error with aircraft that use key 0 to 200 animations. Key 0 is landing gear up and 100 is gear down (also many other user animated parts as use key 0 to 100), 100 to 200 is for laning gear compression (gear moving up and down while taking off from rough land).

I had to add a index to the tailhook at 200 for all of the LODs and the prob was fixed.

Anyway. Updated BPF Wilcat VI.

Attachment 25330
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Awesome FAA repaint Allen!

Great job on the FM2.Just curious, new air file?

As dasuto247 asked. Yes I did edit the airfile but maybe it not quite FM-2 enough so I will be doing another update.

The only thing related to the airfile that wasn't in the pilots manual was the prop gear ratio but I did find it at http://www.enginehistory.org/Datapla...taplates.shtml It has a data plate of a R-1820-56 from a FM-2.

I droped the prop gear ratio and it had the right effects and done something I have never see before. I get not only better range using warp but a lot more range using warp. NEVER seen this before. I get a range of 849 miles if the player flew the whole way but warp is giving me a range of 1,173 miles. Range is from the 117 gal internal tank only. The 2 stock 58 gall drop tanks should just about double this.

Hi Allen,
    It sure would be great if one could correct the warp bug.

Regards,
    B24Guy

The B24 Guy
    The warp fuel bug seem to always eat up a ton of fuel. Never seen it use less fuel before.

All other.
    I'm attaching the new FM-2 airfile I'm working on. It has the new prop gear ratio and a update of the DP for the new cruse speed used in Mission Builder.

Attachment 25416

If some would would like to try it out and see if that gets things closer to the real FM-2.

Update 2: New airfile added to set right prop gear ratio and a update of the DP for the new cruse speed used in Mission Builder and fix error with rockets. British FM-2 Wildcat VI Texture added.

British Weapons

Hi all,
    Does anyone know if the Wildcat VI's in the Pacific used British bombs and rockets or US weapons? I noticed that they appear to use the US drop tanks only painted blue. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

My understataning is that British Pacific Fleet used US weapons as they where much easier to get. I know this was done for the British TBFs but when it comes to the FM-2 I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    My understataning is that British Pacific Fleet used US weapons as they where much easier to get. I know this was done for the British TBFs but when it comes to the FM-2 I could be wrong.
    Maybe this will help...

http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default...ET_IN_1945.pdf

you might be surprised as to the answer.

A little more here...

http://www.usni.org/magazines/navalh...c-strike-force
    http://www.navy.gov.au/history/featu...-pacific-fleet

and a bit more...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Thanks guys, I'll give a look after work when I get home.
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Allen,

Thanks for the updates

My take on weapons:

Only a few Wildcat VI reached Australia before the war ended, so I really can't see them in BPF roundels, & have never found any photo evidence.

Most FAA MkVI were used in CVEs off Norway, &/or moved along with their carriers east to fight the Japanese. As the British Armoured-deck carriers moved into the Pacific they were replaced in the Indian Ocean by an ever-growing number of CVEs, & some of these used Wildcat MkVI.
    So, I would extrapolate that, in the main, Brit Wildcat VIs would have used Brit bombs, possibly Brit rockets (but not sure, I know the BPF only used Brit rockets but could never get enough of them - maybe although capable of using US rockets they weren't used by the UK on the MkVI?), US drop tanks & guns(obviously).

Clear as mud

I am trying to modify the DP to use dbolt's weapons, have an option for bombs and rockets, perhaps depth charges.

Dasuto,
    If you have my FM-1 Wildcat, take the dp from there and rename it. It will work fine. It uses Dbolts weapons and Baldy's Depth Charges. its also set up to use Mauro's pilots and Bloodhawk's engine pack.
    Bob

If you want to convert to British weapons I did 250lb bombs and PR-3 Aerial Rockets for my Tempest Mk.V. You are all free to take them from the Tempest Mk.V and pack it up with your own Wildcat VI.

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Dasuto,
    If you have my FM-1 Wildcat, take the dp from there and rename it. It will work fine. It uses Dbolts weapons and Baldy's Depth Charges. its also set up to use Mauro's pilots and Bloodhawk's engine pack.
    Bob
    Will do, I believe I have it, if not, it is in the downloads section yes?

Dasuto,
    Yes, it's there. Search under bub and you'll find it. You'll need the FM-1 as it should have all the files in it.
    Bob

Dasuto,
    Yes, it's there. Search under bub and you'll find it. You'll need the FM-1 as it should have all the files in it.
    Bob
    Thanks, it works but an issue is it makes two pilots show up.I looked over DP, shows pilot as a payload on multiple mounts.Delete him? Also, how do make it where rockets do not fire as a salvo ?

If your removing the pilot that is apart of the model you have to alpha him out with textures. The pilot use the stock us_pilot_1.bmp and us_pilot_2.bmp.

Weapns that are drop or fire in pairs or more.

; Payload = Bombs Medium
    mount.1=wep_pylon_hellcat, 1, -1
    mount.2=WEP_US_1000lb_GP, 1, 4
    mount.3=wep_pylon_hellcat, 1, -1
    mount.4=WEP_US_1000lb_GP, 1, -1

The number in boldnumber tell the game to drop the 1,000 bomb at the same time as it drops the 1,000 bomb listed on mount.4. When mount for is droped mount 2 will be as well.

Dasuto,
    You need Mauro's pilots installed. The two textures in the Texture file are alphaed out so the pilot will show up. The game will read those two pilot textures first. It should all be in the Readme from the FM-1. I'll post how to do it later after I get home from work.
    Bob

How to add Mauro's pilots

Hi All,
    First download Mauro's pilots. Found here at SOH. Install them following the readme directions. After that:
    Find us_pilot_1.bmp and us_pilot_2.bmp in the CFS2\Texture folder. Take a copy of
    both files & paste them into the Texture folder of the Wildcat. Then open the copies
    in DXTBmp & change the Alpha Channel to black. (Alpha > Invert Alpha) 'Save As' in
    Extended 555-1 format. (CFS2 reads textures in the aircraft Texture folder before
    the main Texture directory.)
    First add this extra mount under
    [HARDPOINTS]
    mount.xx=-0.03,0.23,-1.01
    This is the first payload entry. (He will need adding to each Payload.)
    [PAYLOAD.x]
    ; Payload = Guns Only
    mount.xx=US_pilot, 1, 0
    Don't forget to delete the CDP file before trying it in CFS2. These numbers will work in any other stock Wildcat, the B24 Guys OH Wildcats and Allens FM-2. Also, if you have my FM-1 or Gramps, "Mah Baby" FM-2, I believe all the files were included. If you don't want to use this, or any other, just delete them from the dp.
    Hope this explains it.
    Bob

As far as I've been able to ascertain the Wildcat was only trialed with rockets, both British Mk1 rails and American Mk5 zero-length rails. They weren't used operationally by the FAA as the Fireflies were able to carry eight to the 'cats six.
    She was also only able to carry 2 x 250lb bombs or 2 x 220 litre tanks. I don't think bombs were carried operationally either as we were slinging much larger ordnance under Corsairs and Hellcats.

They didn't make it to the Pacific, the closest was with the East Indies Fleet.

Thank you Ian,
    Your research is appreciated. It should make a dp pretty easy, two mounts, two tanks. I should have a first draft off to you soon. I've been a little busy lately, family and such.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

Hi All,
    First download Mauro's pilots. Found here at SOH. Install them following the readme directions. After that:
    Find us_pilot_1.bmp and us_pilot_2.bmp in the CFS2\Texture folder. Take a copy of
    both files & paste them into the Texture folder of the Wildcat. Then open the copies
    in DXTBmp & change the Alpha Channel to black. (Alpha > Invert Alpha) 'Save As' in
    Extended 555-1 format. (CFS2 reads textures in the aircraft Texture folder before
    the main Texture directory.)
    First add this extra mount under
    [HARDPOINTS]
    mount.xx=-0.03,0.23,-1.01
    This is the first payload entry. (He will need adding to each Payload.)
    [PAYLOAD.x]
    ; Payload = Guns Only
    mount.xx=US_pilot, 1, 0
    Don't forget to delete the CDP file before trying it in CFS2. These numbers will work in any other stock Wildcat, the B24 Guys OH Wildcats and Allens FM-2. Also, if you have my FM-1 or Gramps, "Mah Baby" FM-2, I believe all the files were included. If you don't want to use this, or any other, just delete them from the dp.
    Hope this explains it.
    Bob
    DPED wont load it the FM for some reason, gives an error message.

Members who have read this thread: 0